1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A look back at Summer 2011

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by seanyrooroo, Oct 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

The lads and myself have had a few ventures out over the past few months, ranging from local marks to forrays into the Scottish Borders. Just thought I'd share a few pictures.

Early Summer was spent chasing an early specimen flounder in the rivers, I managed a good few around 39-40cm with the best at 41cm weighing 1lb 7oz(no pic)
    [​IMG]

Wally and myself took the kids a couple of times so they could show us how to do it :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As the sea warmed we ventured further north looking for pollock, mackerel, wrasse and red cod. Mostly we found coalfish, coalfish and more bloody coalfish with the odd coalfish thrown in for good measure :rolleyes:

We did eventually catch most of the coalfish in the sea so we could target proper fish :D

Wally with a kelpy
    [​IMG]

And some of them erm.... coalfish :D
    [​IMG]

Wrasse
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It wasn't always fish a chuck and one day we couldn't find even a coalfish to entertain our baits. Mark caught this codling to save his blushes but the rest of went home soaked and miserable.
    [​IMG]

Most trips we were lucky with the weather and were granted with dry conditions that allow access to slippy slopes like these at St Abbs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beautiful scenery deserves beautiful fish but all we got were these :D
    [​IMG]

A little later in the summer I had a brief flirt with bass on the plugs. It's exciting and keeps you moving around, the plus side to this is finding new ground not just for bass but for winter cod too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although not big I had a few schoolies out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It didnt take long for us to venture back North and as the summer started to end the bigger fish came out to play. Unfortunately I have developed a habit of losing decent fish, from 5lb kelpies to monster pollock. I have just come to the conclusion that there are some fish out there that can't physically be stopped by rod and reel :eek:

Or perhaps I should just buy a net :p

Anyway, the rest of the lads managed to get amongst the fish..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark with a cracking 6lb 6oz pollock
    [​IMG]

All summer long the lads too the p1ss at my failure to land a ballan wrasse, but on our last trip I managed to sneak one out :red:

[​IMG]

I also landed this specimen starfish scrotum complete with starfish knob :D:D

[​IMG]

July fresh run codling
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coalfish
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another that got away
    [​IMG]

Left to get away
    [​IMG]

Wally and a 4lb 12oz kelpy
    [​IMG]

Not a bad summer and a lot learned, I'll be back next year aiming for a double figure pollock as I'm sure the rest of the lads will be.

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

great report Sean thanks for sharing :yes:

3. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

enjoyed reading that there mate. looks like you had a good summer

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Excellent write up bud, looks like you've had some great fishing. Pollock are great sport aren't they! Love the mackerel pic by the way :cool:

5. halfprice

halfprice Owt For Nowt

Nice pictures matey, Some of those rocky shorelines look fabulous

6. Semtex Simon

Semtex Simon Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

looks like you and your friends had a good summer

thanks for sharing

7. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

What aq cracking report , great photos , lovelly fish , congratulations

8. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

I caught an 8lb 3oz pollock when I was 13 from a pier using a 12lb class boat rod, it gave a good fight but it was overpowered by the rod. This year I've watched good pollock come to the surface - look at me and wink and then swim downwards with unstoppable power. The best take I had we never saw the fish, I was fishing a crab bait down the side and watching the shoals of billet tearing the bait to bits. There was a big flash in the water and the (assuming) pollock took 30yds of line from a zziplex primo ft and slosh20 with near tight drag and put a big Danny bend in my rod before it all went slack. Upon inspection the fish had just straightened my 3/0 hook with ease :surprise:

They've converted a cod angler with over 20 years experience into a pollock fanatic. I've always been a cod head but can't wait for next summer!!!

Any tips for landing specimen fish? I know that yourself along with Gary, Alan, Harry etc have landed quite a few superb fish.

9. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Same as you I do enjoy Cod fishing in winter and summer but after experiencing Pollock fishing over the last few years there is no going back, they really are a fantastic sports fish.
    All of my decent Pollock have come off the kayak so it's different compare to you shore lads, we also have awesome fights but being directly above them does help playing them away/out of snags. The one thing I have learnt with regards to good pollock is have the right terminal tackle, I now use 30lb mono leaders and stronger 6/0 hooks. Sounds like you had the right gear for the job but the hook was probably to thiner gauge.
    Hope you find the beast again next year :yes: :yes:

10. GJW

GJW Rockling

Great Report Sean, Looks like you enjoyed your summer fishing.. Its good to get out fishing to lovely spots like St Abb's and even if the fish dont show as long as your in good company and a lovely location it doesnt really matter if you go home with a bag full..

Sean as for the pollack all I can really advise is go heavy.. Not talking rods as we like to fish spinning rods for the pollack but use a heavy braid 60lb should be okay and use a reel with some guts, lock the drag up and hold on for dear life... :scared: you give that Pollack to much respect and it will be down amongst that kelp forest in no time...

Good luck with your winter fishing Sean hope its as enjoyable as the summer you had..

11. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Well done sean, looks like you had a brilliant summers fishing

tightlines

12. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

Thanks for the advice lads, I don't really want to go any stronger than my spinning rod as I still want to experience the power of them. I do need a better fixed spool as the one I used this year got well busted by a fish.

Any reccomendations for a strong sharp hook pattern? I had been using manta extras but I've seen what can happen with a better fish!!

13. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

That was a Canny trip through your summer fishing
    and some canny pic's to :cool:

14. GJW

GJW Rockling

Hello Sean, I always use Mustad 3261 BLN in 4/0 for the Pollack.. I totally agree, keep using the spinning rod as its great fun catching the smaller Pollack but beef up the braid and reel and should see you land some of them big un's. I use a pair of Shimano 8000 GTE's had them years would certainly recommend them with 50-60lb Powerpro braid.

15. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

howdo, spot on mates some cracking pics and nice fish, looks like you and your mates made the best of the summer, wellldone

16. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

[​IMG]

Where is this ?

17. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Grisphorpe Glenn

18. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I thought it was Ian. Has anyone had any sucess on the bass front in there ?

19. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

I've only fished it once and had a small schoolie, however the conditions were far from good, I think Ray has had one or two, I prefer the ground to the north and south of the bay where you get lots of bouklders and bladderwrack, the area has a large seal population, I don't know if this effects the bass stocks as I am not sure if seals target bass??