1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little trip up North for me.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Winter Cod Fishing At Cornelian Bay

The Holderness beaches and the River Humber have fished well this year so my trips up on the rock have not been as often as other seasons but with a bit of sea and it being that time of year when the better fish start to show I decided I would have a mooch somewhere around Scarbro.

Cornelian was the choice despite daylight colour looked good and there was a nice sea running. Got down onto the fronts for just after low, a lad was fishing the runner into Basin and he'd had a few fish to 4lb on ebb and first of flood so hopes were high. We only managed one chuck of the first spot and no bites before we got washed of....so a move was in order....round into basin.

First chuck no bite. Second chuck with cart, squid and yellow tail, I got a few taps then the tip of the K2 lunged over...fish on. I had to scamper down to the lip of Basin and after a good scrap the swell nicely lifted the fish up for me...job done :)

[​IMG]

The new Fin Nor Lethal was a pleasure to use as well. 8) http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lth10.html

[​IMG]

We had a scamper about for the rest of the flood but to be honest as the biteless casts mounted my confidence ebbed.......I ve only fished Cornelian once or twice in daylight before and my hopes are never as high as night time. So at High water we scampered out and went for a brew before mark number two. Took the easy option of North Bay (Rawlins) looked nice and fished a few hours of the ebb....I managed just a mop, Martin got a nice fish looked about 6lb but came in like a lump of weed no scrap at all....proper larry lay on. Mart also had another couple of mops and that was it.....not a lot....but

My fish went bang on 8lb on the scales when I got it home....best this season in a year of mops a welcome bonus fish. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to the beaches next. :)

2. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice fishing!

3. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done fella nice fish

4. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

mighty fine fish that. Nice going.
    Awesome.

Typically, I toyed with Cayton, but decided on a change of scene, and the top by Wraggle get down, and was rewarded by just one of those mops!
    :)

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Congratulations Dave. So much nicer to have rock under your feet :)

6. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Cracking fish and report Dave. I am still trying to catch my first shore cod this winter lol I must make more of an effort reading reports like this make me feel like getting out there and having a go.

Tightlines Chris

7. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Well done Dave , that's a nice fish , I will have to check on the Fin Nor reel

8. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That's a good old session mind!!

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Similar size to a penn battle, but better line lay and build quality. 8) First session with it so early days....time will tell Alan.

10. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

That's a hell of a review Dave , not all pluses , but they seem very good value

11. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

Well done Dave.you were in the right area,Monday nights club match was won from around there with 20 pound

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

One thing that has changed since that review is they now provide spool shims. Out of the box mine was laying line biased towards the front of the spool. I added a couple of thin shims and now the line lay is good. It's not on a par with a Penn Affinity but the reel body is very rigid and the gearing reported as excellent .....so if that is at the cost of a bit of line lay....hey ho ::)

The same chap did a review of the Spinfisher (not the longcast though) and he was very disappointed with the gearing....for me modern Penn reels suffer badly from quality control....shame ....I wonder how the longcasts will fair once a couple of seasons of hard use has been done...time will tell and same goes with these but at the price they are alternative to think about, as we do struggle for strong fixed spool reels.

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

We thought we'd vacate the bay before the masses descended ::) ::) ;) ;)