1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few pics from our recent trip up the Mull..

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by GJW, Aug 21, 2013.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Sorry its taken a little while for me to get these on but here goes...

Fishing on the Mull was a little slow this year compared to years gone by but then again I think we are to blame for pushing the bar a little to high at times and expect a little to much...

Well I think all in all we had an enjoyable week and everyone caught plenty of fish and some nice ones too.. John Dixon our new recruit showed that his 17lb 8oz cod was no fluke and continued to catch the big uns... Well done John, Hope the climbs didn't put you off to much..

The weather was a little up and down with sun, wind and showers most days but not to be put down by the weather we tried our best..

Here are a few pictures. I hope the other lads will contribute and add there photo's and storys about there best parts of the week...

[​IMG]

Old pal Harry joined us on this one, it was good to see him back up at the Mull after a few years missing..

Harry likes his wrasse fishing and caught lots on LRF gear..

[​IMG]

We all caught plenty of Pollack from 1lb - 7lb which always put up a great fight on light gear... As always Big Cliff showed at 70 he is still a mountain goat, maybe an old one but he keeps climbing up and down them cliffs. Every year he has his own design of floats, this one made from a tennis ball and a few bottle tops, as he couldnt find his rubber duck one..

[​IMG]

Martin swings an average size float caught pollack..

[​IMG]

John soon found out the bigger they get the harder they fight, as this one nearly dragged him of the rock.. :laugh:

[​IMG]

Me and John trying to lift a decent pollack..

[​IMG]

Pollack came thick and fast..

[​IMG]

Big Cliff shows that when we go fishing we always travel light... :embarrass:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well all the boxes of Jellys and Shads soon came to good use on the Pollack..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even the Wrasse took a liking to the soft lures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well the bass fishing was slow for us this year, or maybe I just didn't try hard enough and explore more avenues.. Most nights I opted to stay in front of the television with my slippers on and a cup of cocoa (I must be getting old) whilst the lads tried to find a few bass.. I did however get the fishing rod out on the last night and had a go, and got 4 in 30 minutes so it does show that they are around, you just have to try a little harder to find them..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ooop.s nearly forgot about the Conger eels. One day we fished for Conger and caught 9 Eels but nothing over 10lb...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tightlines folks..

2. stiffmeister2

stiffmeister2 Hooked On Bass

Well done Gary and friends the conditions were quite nasty on the mull end and we never managed to fish it but it was a pleasure to visit the mull of Galloway it's a different world over there and hopefully next time I go next month the conditions permits us to try for some bigger pollack. Thanks martin Alan and Harry for some little places to fish as I did not know a single mark and we caught some decent bass again Jason caught about 6 pollack and his first ever bass8) By the way someone must try for mullet we seen some huge ones when big cliff was digging a few worms and they were no more that 10 feet from the shore so they are there to be caught :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

3. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Another quality report there Gary , nice pics and lovely fish , top marks to John he had several PBs , he was certainly on a very fast learning curve and he was right on track , thanks to all the lads for making it another memorable week , great company , plenty of banter and leg pulling
    ------ Till the next time , roll on

4. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well what a canny week we had on this years trip,
    we all caught fish on evaery session :yes: not a single blank all week,

Martin had only a three day stay but certainly got stuck into the fish,
    the star of the show was John Dixon a new member of the squad and he is just itching to get back there,

John had a pb pollack,and a pb conger and a pb wrasse and doggie,
    Alan the old head of the clan was still climbing the cliffs like a youngster well all most :embarrass:

me and Alan had to take our time getting up and down the marks,
    one day Alan al lmost cast me in by the left foot, along with a spool of Garry,s line and a rig wallet ,
    :laugh: :laugh: but back to the fishing as said earlier the bass were hard to find at times and when i did find them i lost one at my feet,

my highlight of the week was getting a conger for the first time in a few years,
    just scraped in as the biggest of the week by an ounce or so,

Andy was a dab hand in the kitchen as well as the fishing and i gave him a hand at times ,
    Andy certainly was bagging them in with his mate,s new rubber lure,s,

and as usual Garry was top rod rounding the week off with some nice bass,
    well here are a few photo,s of the trip ,tight lines all and hope ypu get a chance to visit the MOG some time .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the daddy of the show Garry,s fine Bass

[​IMG]

5. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Good report and an enjoyable read Garry, cracking photos as usual. Have you launched your SIB yet?

6. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Fantastic report and pics once again very well done to all of you

7. bucko

bucko New Member

Great stuff lads- well done.
    Some lovely fish there.
    I think I've a 'Homer Simpson' bathtoy somewhere that I'll donate to Al for his 2014 float though :wink:

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Alan comes up with some wonder full float designs :laugh: :laugh:

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

one of the cliff climbs, this mark is called port mona, dont try it without some one who knows
    you can just make out Alan in the centre of the photo.

[​IMG]

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

Quality report gary nice cracking fish and pics mate well done .

11. congerball

congerball Blenny

Looks like you all had a good trip, great photos and report. Well done on the pb's. That walk/climb down looks hellish Harry!

Think my brother got chatting to one of you lot one evening whilst plugging for Bass. He had 4 that night but just schoolies to 2lb.

Tightlines

12. GJW

GJW Rockling

Yea its a pretty bad climb that one, but doable. Pleased to say we never lost anyone this year 6 went down 6 came up, You can just make Big Cliff out under the orange coat on the side of the cliff....

13. cod.ling1973

cod.ling1973 I will cast more than 100 yards one day :-)

What can i say, fishing with 5 true gents in a beautiful place and a lifetimes supply of knowledge oh and not forgetting someone's eeby geeby's and crazy driving :scared: :clown: :laugh: made this a very enjoyable fishing holiday.
    The first trip out to a cliff mark had my knees knocking to say the least but as i battled the nerves and thought crack on john you can do it :surprise: im now gonna climb mount Everest :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: NOT!!! really though im now fine with heights and can't wait for the next expedition wherever it maybe.
    Also a big thanks to our chef's for the week Andy and Harry certainly looked after us, Big cliff (alan) can certainly knock some food/biscuits back :whistle: saying that he needs all the energy and brain power for his float ideas and location of mountain goat trails :educated: not to mention he's early 70's and fitter than most!!!
    Big thanks to the guy's who helped me out with the tackle and other bits i never had ie Andy, Gary.
    Fingers crossed i get another invite sometime soon so i can tackle the Bass and have a bash at a BIG pollock...i really enjoyed the whole experience from start to finish it certainly was PB heaven for me.....until next time thanks a bunch guys.

Tight lines and good health
    John Dixon

14. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Another great trip and even though the weather tried its best to spoil it we all managed some nice fish.

Think my best session was 15 pollack with my best fish for the week around 6 1/4lb .

Nice to sneak the wrasse out on a soft lure too.

The bass seem to have been a bit more spread out over the last couple of trips but if you don't ignore what's right on your doorstep and put the extra hours in then you will still get a few.

Highlights for me included -

Seeing the look on Johns face when he hooked his first decent pollack and when landing his first conger .

We won't mention how the colour drained from his face on some of the descents though :scared:

The night Harry was possessed by Casper the resident house ghost is etched forever in my memory,just wish we had filmed it.

Alan still amazes me with his energy and enthusiasm (sadly the jokes don't get any better though :laugh: ) but he really must learn to cut down on the amount of gear he brings it really limits poor Gary :whistle: :whistle:

It was a great week in great company and I am already looking forward to the next one.

Glad you all enjoyed my Michelin star food (maybe that should read Michelin Man)

P.S Good job I managed to find room to squeeze those special jellies in wasn't it :canadian: :canadian:

15. rupert

rupert Blenny

You're spot on there Gary. I think we all need to manage our expectations from time to time.

Although I don't feel it on the day, those blanks and sessions where I struggle, really make me appreciate those red letter days. I've just had a pal staying with me for two days and had a days tope fishing at Hornsea on Monday and a days cod/pollock fishing at Whitby yesterday. Unlike this time last year when he stayed, both days were anything but red letter days. Luckily he's a seasoned fishermen and fully understands when plans don't come together as they have in the past. The big tides didn't help us, but those were the only dates he could make, so we had to make the best of it. We caught some of our target fish, but nothing of any real note.

Surely you can't be disappointed with your team efforts though? Some belting fish and a great cross section of species. Looks a top job to me.

16. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A special big thanks to Andy for feeding us for the week not forgetting Harry as well , they knocked up some great dishes over the week , beans
    on toast were strictly OFF the menu , well done lads , twice I booked cottages only to be let down , I was as sick as a parrot , but once more Andy
    stepped in and sorted it, again many thanks ------- Those cliff climbs certainly don't get any easier on the legs , and at times the head but the benefits are when we do get there we have the place to ourselves , all in all a memorable week

17. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

When we were up in Skye I spoke with Garry a bit via private messages, and on day one I said the fishing had been slower than expected. Garrys exact words - "it's not all about the fishing, just enjoy and relax and have a great week.."

I know those words apply to the Teesside boys too, they will have had a great time. So the fishing was slow, but everything is relevant, to many people that would be the best weeks fishing they ever experience. Some people never catch that much in a lifetime.

18. West Cliff Miff

West Cliff Miff Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I wouldn't swap the time I had in Skye for all of the fish in the sea.

Don't get me wrong, the fishing was amazing - loads of first-timers and PB's for me - but the fun, friendship, scenery, support, belly laughs, terrific (and not so terrific!) food, nice Rioja and great conversation made it one of the best and most memorable weeks I've ever had.

Can hardly wait for the Mull - just packing all my gear now and feel like a bloody teenager!

19. West Cliff Miff

West Cliff Miff Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

By the way lads, forgot to say, fantastic report and thanks for posting and the important things you and Glenn have said.

20. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Really looking forward to getting to the mull miff, and hopefully some nice fish to come out. Ive been getting wound up about it today, but I intend to leave that at home when we leave tomorrow tea time. Cant wait for 9am Sat morning and the first big pollack coming up the rocks at Ramseys farm.