1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Few Hours Down Goldsborough Little Tunnel

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Winter Cod Fishing At Goldsborough

The last few winters have been a bit of a non event for me on the fishing front. I just havent been able to motivate myself to get out much at all.

Earlier this week me old mate Mike 33 Gave us a ring and asked if I fancied a few hours fishing. I explained I didnt have much bait but would happily have a few hours out anyway.

I spoke with Mike again today and we decided on a few hours on the flood tide this evening. Several marks came to mind and Im sure all would have produced fish tonight. In my mind had been Robin Hoods Bay River Hole, Robin Hoods Bay Little Bay, Robin Hoods Bay Cliffs (Above Long Hole And Above Hommeril Hole), Saltwick Beach, Hawsker Highlights, Bernies Ledge and Goldsborough Little Tunnel.

For some idiotic reason I opted for the most difficult one to access. Not the brightest of ideas when your the least fit you have been in years.

Goldsborough Little Tunnel was mark I learnt to fish probably 15 or more years ago now. I had very cheekily followed an exceptional local angler there one night when I wanted to learn some of the better local marks.

To be honest it isnt the most difficult mark in the world, but when youve put on a few pounds and not done much excercise recently it certainly tells on you.

When we arrived we were met by several of the Whitby Club lads who were going to fish the same mark. Fortunately for us they had to wait untill 7pm :'( to cast in so myself and Mike got a cast before they were allowed to start ;D.

Mike got a small mop first cast but it was several casts later that I got my first of the night, or perhaps I didnt get it, as I managed to get it on the ledge next to me for a matter of seconds before it went back over and snapped my snood. A rather amateur performance I must admit.

The fish must have been about 6 pound but felt much bigger on my new set up. This is the first time I had used the braid and long rod combination. It felt very strange indeed, and you certainly know you have a fish on with this set up.

The club lads were soon in on the action too. There was 3 lads sharing the same small ledge with us and they had a few decent fish between them. The best seemed to be about 6 pounds.

It was a cracking night to be out. Nothing really went to plan though. The new braid and long rod set up seems totally alien, but I think Ill persevere with that one.

My headlight packed in within an hour (Must get some new rechargeables), and I performed like a complete crank.

But As I know from the past, the more you do something the more comfortable you become with it, so im quite looking forward to getting out again.

Our total for the night was not as good as it could have been, but its a start non the less. Mike managed 4 fish with the biggest about 3lb, I managed one less but Im guestimating I had one of 6lb and 2 @5lb, also lost another decent one on the retrieve.

In summary, a nice nights fishing and things can only get better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can read more topics about Goldsborough Here.

2. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

Good shoiyt Glenn. With the long rod and braid when you get a riving bite you have to put you're rod forward as soon as you can and when you're line pulls up tight and slams rive you're rod back

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Baramundi Bob

Its Mental. A very strange feeling. Like staring from scratch.

4. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Great read Genn, what you explain quite well is exactly what i found , i was taring my hair out ,ha ha ha ,
    i had to phone garry later that evening and he put me right , i was up Arbroath at the time , getting riving bites and missing them like a first timer ,

i must remember that when i get out again this winter ,

5. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Harry my advice is when you get a bite, lean your rod forward toward the fish, when it takes off just reel quickly to set the hook, there is no need to strike, you will just pull out the hook.
    Cheers Col.

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A good read there Glenn , It certainly is a different game with the long rod and braid as you say they don't half fight , Ive had decent cod on they felt like bronzed whalers , I thought the walk up and down would have been
    a piece of cake for a young fellow like you --- Whistle , whistle

7. Baramundi Bob

Paying for it today Alan. legs are aching. But wont take me long to get back in shape for it.

8. Mark

Mark Blenny

Great report Glenn. Thanks for sharing mate. Cheers. Was thinking about going down the long rod, fixed spool reel with braid road. What set up have you got??

Cheers mark.

9. Baramundi Bob

Hi Mate, A 5 pounder is like catching a shark. Im using a Greys Triplex and a Penn Battle reel.

10. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Can I ask, what is a 'riving bite'?

And, is your Greys a 16'er?
    Early days, but how are you finding it for our type of fishing?
    Casting distance, dealing with kelp, etc..

11. smokey

smokey Rockling

I know what you mean about the long rod and braid setup Glenn. I tried it about 5 years ago and didn't get on with it I ended up selling it. I went back to it about 3 months ago and had the same result I've just sold it. The way I look at it is it has it's advantages in daylight conditions fishing tide marks but winter nights in dark the multiplier set up catches me more fish, I find it hard work cranking fish on an egg beater against a multiplier. Most of the marks I fish in dark you don't need to put a bait more than 80 yards which totally negates the need for the long rod and thin braid. Well done on the fish, you still have the nack of nailing that better sample