1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A few days in SW Scotland.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bobthedog, May 9, 2018.

1. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Due to a freshwater match I didn't set off for the Isle of Whithorn till early Monday morning. The idea was that I was going up to give my mate a hand sort his boat out ready for the summer. My surprise when I got there the boat was all ready in. The two of them went up last Thursday and spent the weekend sorting it.
    After a quick breakfast we were off to dig a few worms then as it was a nice day take the boat out for a couple of hours. We had a quick try for mackerel just off the Isle in Wigtown bay but to no avail the water was dirty and no one has had any yet. So we had a blast round the corner into Luce bay stopping first to try for pollock. After several drifts over normally productive ground we only had a coalie to show for our efforts. Next we went off to some sand banks in search of plaice, this time we had a little more success. The plaice we did find were on the small size best being about a pound, we would have expected better fish normally at this time of year. Along with the plaice we had a couple of dogs and a dab. Turned out to be an enjoyable bonus afternoon out ( the warmest day as well).
    The next couple of days with a strong sw wind and horizontal rain and a temperature of 10 degrees we gave bassing a go from the shore at several marks we know around luce bay. There was only one schoolie of about 2lb to show for our efforts.
    Around the rockier marks bait was being stripped off by crabs but over the sand the bait came back untouched.
    Talking to local divers they told us the water temp was 8 degrees, 3 lower than this time last year. Diving on monday the few ballen wrasse that they'd see were still holed up in a torpid state. There have been reports of herring around but no mackerel or summer fish yet anywhere from MOG to the Isle. Everything seem to be a little late this year.

2. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

nice to get up there and have a go
    nice report and good info thanks for sharing

3. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Seems everywhere is a bit late due to climate etc.

Nice to hear from other regions.

4. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sfishing wasnt the best and youve had to work hard for what you did get, hoping that it really takes off this year, stunning part of the world though and a real nice place to be, did you manage to get any pics from when you were up there

5. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

I'm doing the WSF site spieces hunt this year & the only pics I took were of a plaice and a dogfish taking my tally up to 7 spieces this year so far.
    Place photo.jpg
    LSD.jpg