1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A day away from the maddening crowds, Blea wyke (with pictures)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

With the Bempton fever in full flow I decided on a trip up to my favourite mark of Blea Wyke, I don't venture up North this early usually but my mate fished up here the other day and had a few fish so I thought why not. Rob had already had a go but not had any fish but different day different tide so a nice early start and a variety of baits were packed.

Once at the top of the cliff a quick glance over the top showed some colour but not much :cry: oh well small tide building sea, plus only day free to have a go......was still hopeful of maybe a fish or two. Duke was with us so my bag was even heavier with his water and food.....going to have to get that dog some panniers to carry his own gear !

Last time I was down for the pollock in summer but the well trodden path was giving away that a few have obviously been trying the marks under the cliffs early on. With plenty of chatter about what could be Dan and I were soon down onto Lady Green rock. We'd had a look at the ropes but nobody appears to have been down and it was well over grown...looks like a route rapidly vanishing back into the undergrowth.

I quickly set up and blasted out a small cart and worm bait out past the kelp and shelf . The weapon of choice today was a Century Kompressor Grand Prix 14ft and an Okuma Magnetix 20 loaded with braid. I m really surprised at the Okuma, three winters ago I was doubting the longevity of the magnetix. The one I m using has been strapped on my kayak rod till this winter was well furred up and nearly seized. But a quick service and clean and it is working like new again....not to be knocked for £60 with a 5 year warranty as well !
    The first cast produced a rare this year Wrasse and it was a good one of about 3lb (actual weight !) a good 15-16" in length.
    Not a lot more from there so decided to try the scar itself. I was more hopeful of the flood off the north side but the swells were building and making fishing the sth side of Blea Wyke steel itself very difficult. So I bit the bullet and moved onto the nth edge of the scar. There was a lot of colour in the backs but also about a dozen seals , which Duke found facinating.
    I loaded up the 5/0 Varivas big mouth with a cart,worm,razor,oyster cocktail and with good footing gave it a full on back cast out into tide.
    [​IMG]

I didn t have to wait long before a more definite three pulls on the rod tip signalled the arrival of some codlings. A mop of about a pound and a half was soon in the bag. Re bait and I had three more fish in quick succession. Dan was percevering over on the other side but not having much luck.
    [​IMG]

With slack water fast approaching the weather blowing in looked nasty and Duke scurried for cover behind the rucksack. It was very squally when it blew in but thankfully didn t last long.

[​IMG]

When it passed Duke surfaced, not looking very impressed...with that " Dad can we go ?" sort of expression.
    [​IMG]

I managed another two mops and two more good wrasse before the bites dried up, so decided to hop back to the fronts before making the climb back up. Anyway no more fish and as darkness fell after a full day we decided that we'd had enough. Poor Dan blanked , I ended up with 5 mops and 3 wrasse so at least a few fish down there.
    [​IMG]

That climb has left my legs burning and a huge thirst for a few lagers that has just been quenched.

A great day out at a lovely remote venue, still my all time favourite venue. :cool:

Cheers Jellyworm.

2. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Well done on the fish. We were going to go there the other day but decided on long hole.

3. newdave

newdave Guest

well done, afraid i am only likely to step on that rock from the seaward side, thought i was going to die the last time i climbed that cliff

4. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

nice one worm, great to hear from you again, wish i could be arsed to put your great session sories up, great pics, see ya soon bud :yes:

5. wok

wok Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

nice fish dave and yet again a gr8 report

6. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Well done Dave you can't beat the seclusion of that place. There's no Turkey's down there but did you see the cows? which is why the path at the top end is well trod. There is fencing, gates and water tub now too.
    Was talking to an old boy the other day who has lived up there all his life who told me that there were a lot of land mines laid around the cliffs up there during the war! He reassured me that even though most of them were retrieved there could still be a few remaining :scared: but should be too deep now, perhaps :whistle:

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

We did see a deer Ray , it was stodd right on the edge of the perch that you fish into the backs looking over the edge !
    I remember the advice you gave me about the place a few years ago and slowly some of it is coming together down there. What I love about it is there are just so many options and shots to go at and since paddling round in the kayak there are some features you would never know about from the shore, one of which produced the fish yesterday. :wink:
    But those cows you mention must be wearing waders because the path was trodden with boot prints ! Even farmers are getting soft giveng the cattle boots :wink: :laugh: :laugh:

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Nice one Dave it must be the oysters that turned it in your favour,
    think i may get half a dozen and give them a go :yes: who was the Dan you were with ,was it dan
    the pollack, :confused:

9. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

there not from the war ray :no: there to stop people from the south fishing up there :laugh:

just been talking my dad up there about it and its the first he knew anything about. there is the pill box in will terrys feild near stoop beck, they use to have a few sea mines off there.

there is also just off there about 10 ton of lead :surprise: when a boat ran aground my great graet uncle and his mate managed to get one of the keels up from another boat that got it wrong. there are some old wrecks off the steel as some old bugger in my family was a wrecker bringing the ships in close with the swinging lantan :yes:.

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

No H, Dan is a local lad from Hornsea not on this forum, can't you make out his special six toe'd waders in the pictures...yaaarp.

11. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Well done mate.Good post with some nice pics.

12. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Nice one Dave , I was looking at the photo of the bait for a moment i thought i could see a bit of mackerel on there ? I brought one of the wrasse
    back i had caught up scotland , I skinned it , cooked it on the grill and it was beautiful , very tasty

13. glassback

glassback Blenny

nice one dave its a great place down there,but can be a frustraiting place as well.
    there seems to be a good few mops down there at the moment,just hope the better ones show soon.
    have a word with john porter i took him down a few years back all the cliffs were frozen ended up on his arse most
    of the time.
    we had a few cod ,he use to ply rugby but couldnt walk for4 days after,
    mind you he is a big lad. you feeding crabs on sunday

14. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

No Alan, no fish baits in there, not for me on our coast afraid :wink: Except once the whitings appear then game on.

Was the fish very boney, the wrasse that is ? They get weighed in, in our club matches and I ve read Hugh Fearnly whathisname talk about the French eating them.

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I think Dan thought that yesterday , don't you find though that despite having some blobbing shots the fish tend to come at range so particularly off the steel it suits the bigger casters down there. Dan was putting his baits about 80-90yds and never had a sniff. I was fishing as far as I could chuck on 40lb braid and at one point was getting a bite a chuck so it the distance making the difference.

No Andy I can't fish the Warrior Worms match got to work :cry: With the sea forcast today and tomorrow going to be a hard match, guess you and the little fella will be in the usual spot down sth. Thta's where I d be heading on the samll tide, hope the weed isn t there for you. There have been a few codlings from the clays on the small tides past few weeks just not in numbers yet.

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Duke looks very canny still Dave , got his puppy look still aaahhhhhhh,
    does he get up and down the cliff himself or do you put him in a rucksack :surprise:

17. bassman

bassman Administrator

Great report and pics Dave well done on the cod :wink:

18. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Great report Dave and well done on the good bag of fish. Does look a canny spot down there :yes:

19. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Sam was it Matty that Ken dragged down there ? I remember him sitting on one of the rocks looking up at the climb with a look of trepidation ! But it is lovely down thee, anyone who loves remote places to fish couldn t fail to be blown away by the beauty of the place.

20. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

yeah it was me Dave a couple of years ago in the whitby open. I wasn't prepared for that Day at all but I've done a fair few big climbs since then! Saying that, I wont be going back in a hurry.

great report though, well done :yes: