1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple of shots from today

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by mattylamb, Feb 12, 2011.

1. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Had to drop one of my kids off at her friends in whitby so took the camera and had a play with my ND filter and a bit of HDR

I started off on the east pier, there was a nice bit of sea on which made for a very smooth effect with the ND Filter

Exposure 13 Seconds
    Aperture f/11.0
    Focal Length 17 mm
    ISO Speed 100
    using NDx1000 (10 Stop) filter

[​IMG]
    Whitby East Pier by SilverFoxUK66, on Flickr

then I drove up the coast road towards sandsend:

30 Seconds
    Aperture f/11.0
    Focal Length 36 mm
    ISO Speed 100
    using NDx1000 (10 Stop) filter

[​IMG]
    Sandsend View by SilverFoxUK66, on Flickr

then on to runswick where I took this HDR using 6 exposures -2, -1, 0, +1 +2 +3

6 shots using Aperture Priority at F11, I used Auto bracketing , set Exposure compensation to -2 so that the first 3 pics were -2,-1,0, then i altered the Exposure comp to +1 , this meant the next 3 shots were +1 +2 _3. I think having more shots really gives you a lot more control ver your HDR pic - probably why its come out so well and not "overcooked"

[​IMG]
    Runswick Bay Thatched Cottage by SilverFoxUK66, on Flickr

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

For me Matty, the last one is your best photograph to date. I sort of like the east pier one but the lighthouse looks odd. Second one is a real good shot but I think the third one has the edge.

3. Baramundi Bob

There was a lovelly mist at tea time matty. I wonder if that would have made another nice shot. Wish I was familiar enough with my camera to give it a go.

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

All that reading up and getting out there with the camera is really starting to pay off now Matty, lovely shots. All very nice, specially the cottage shot. Think one of my favs is the scarr shot looking over to Kettleness (you posted them on facebook).

Sooooo wish I could buy a camera!

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Cheers glenn I must admit I love that last shot myself I think I will get a print of it. All I can say is get out there and use the camera you will soon pick it up. You have an eye for a good photo so its just a case of learning the camera. For me its the other way round I am confident with the camera but am still learning about composition

6. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

like them matty,especially the last one.thats how i like HDR pics,not immediatley obvious that they are, if you know what i mean :yes:

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

cheers bud you even approve of a HDR shot, are you feeling ok?!! :laugh:

may as well post the kettleness shots too:

Exposure 20 seconds
    Aperture f/11.0
    Focal Length 17 mm
    ISO Speed 100
    ND Filter

[​IMG]
    Runswick view of kettleness by SilverFoxUK66, on Flickr

Exposure 20 seconds
    Aperture f/14.0
    Focal Length 17 mm
    ISO Speed 100
    ND Filter

[​IMG]
    Looking over to kettleness from Runswick by SilverFoxUK66, on Flickr

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Yep, liking those scarr/kettleness pics. Aye I'm not a big fan of the HDR shots but I do like that one :yes:

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Some cracking photo,s there Matty , you certainly know your camera ,
    runswick bay is a beauty,

something i can aim for is to get somewhare near that one for sure :cool:

10. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

where did you get that pic printed bud, the on e of you on the yak at sunset?

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

12. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

yeah thats why i asked it was very good, cheers for that

13. Baramundi Bob

liking the kettleness ones too matty. Can you give us some ideas of the settings used mate.

14. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Glenn, I have added info on settings. All shot using Manual mode.

15. Baramundi Bob

how do you know what aperture to set ?

16. Baramundi Bob

17. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

with landscape you tend to want to get as much of your picture in focus, ie a big depth of field, so you use a higher F number (smaller aperture). I have done a lot of reading and quite a few sources said you dont really need to go above F11 in most circumstances. I have messed about with mine and find that F9-F11 seems to be spot on for most of the landscapes I have done so far. your camera also has a DOF preview button which you can press and it will give you an idea of what will be in focus.

I also have an App on my phone which will tell me what will be in focus based on my aperture and subject distance.

for close up work or portraits I would use a wider aperture to get the blurred background effect.

Im still learning though, I could be talking complete b0ll0ks

18. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

19. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

That is exactly right Matty, :yes: it is what i learned in my first instrution at the camera club,
    Depth of field,

it is probably the easiest rule to remember of photography,
    And what an app to have on your phone :surprise: brillient, :cool:

20. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

absolutly awsome Glen, i am getting my head down trying to take it all in ,
    it is something to aim for mate :cool: