1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple of nights camping up the Mull

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by BeeceUK, Aug 29, 2013.

1. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi,

Me and my brother decided on one last trip up this year, the plan came at pretty short notice and we were unable to get a caravan so decided to pack the tent and pitch up at the Clash for a couple of nights. Set off about 5.30ish Sat morning from Marske and got to a new spot for us about 930-10ish. Passed the Glenn , Mike and the other guys on the road down, had a quick chat with the farmer to see if we were ok to park up and headed off to the unknown. After a bit of a trek found a likely looking spot and set up.

My brother had had two casts before I wet a line and his second one resulted in a real good hit from a fish, he was playing it in and then next minute it was off, the metal jig he was fishing was gone too and when he came in his lure clip was completely bent and knacked, a sign of a good session to come we both thought. Moving around a few different spits of rock we did pretty well through the tide, catching a good few pollock though mostly small with two or three slightly better fish to maybes 3.5 - 4lb, a handful of mackerel, a couple of coalies and my brother also caught a lovely red spotted ballan wrasse on a metal jig close in to the rock edges. We also caught a good few massive launce on these, Im talking 12" whoppers that really hit the spinners with a bit of force.

Anyhow, we finished with a total of over 50 fish between us the first day, drove back to pitch the tent and decided not to try for any bass that night as we were knackered and decided to have a few whiskys at the tent instead.

Saturday although the forecasts before we left said was going to be calmer than the day before turned out to be pretty breezy indeed, gusts were strong and the sea on the west side was chopped right up. We went to a different spot we fish for the start of the flood but only managed a handful of small pollock over 3-4 hrs. Decided to go back to yesterdays spot for the last couple of hours and managed a few more but it was hard going.

That evening we went out and tried for a bass with the plugs but drew a big fat blank and called it a night around midnight, our hearts not really in it to be fair by this point. Apart from one bass caught back in May by brother on an Irish sea side mark we havent had a single fish in the four trips up this year sadly.

Monday we packed the tent up and decided on a final days fishing rather than heading straight home, went to a different spot again and had an ok day of sport with some pollock mackerel and coalies, again nothing bigger than about 3lb.

Heres a few pictures I took. So although we didnt really manage any whoppers it was an ok couple of days fishing numbers wise and enough sport to keep you busy and a bend in your rod. Next year we plan on to make more of an effort to just get out there and try some more "off the map" spots, hopefully it will pay off with a few bigger fish and if not itll at least be keeping us fit !! :butt:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GJW

GJW Rockling

Looks like you both had an enjoyable time.. I know what you mean about the weather. It seems to do what it likes up on the Mull, many times its forcast 5-10mph winds and its been blowing more like 25mph...

Thanks for sharing your trip.

3. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

nice report lads ,and a few fish for you as well,
    thanks for the report and photo,s

4. andym

andym Rockling

Great stuff and nice pics

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

At least you found a few. We were going to that Mark on the first day but decided on the end of the mull to get out the wind. Sounds like we made the wrong choice. I think you must have dropped in near us on the second day too.

Looks like you did ok. Shame the bass never played ball but you just never know what your going to catch up there. I always feel something special is never far away.