1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A chance to fish the mighty River Tay

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by rupert, Sep 26, 2011.

1. coasty

coasty New Member

A really good read and an excellent report. Lucky man...

Andy

2. rupert

rupert Blenny

Dav

Just having a scan through the responses...........

Although deemed old fashioned, I think floating devons definately still have their place.

When the water drops low and clear, I suggest you just go smaller. When I fished the North Esk last year with low water, one of the rods fished tiny 1" ruby red home made floating devons and picked up salmon, when others blanked.

I do like rapalas for salmon, but they do tend to be past their noses very quickly and work best in bigger water. I'm sure some salmon respond to that lure whipping broadside past their nose, chase and nobble it. Your mepps is probably fished quite quickly too.

The floating devon is very different. It sits right in front of the salmons nose longer and offers a completely different target to that faster fished lure. It perhaps appeals to salmon that won't rise up in the water column and chase a lure.

I think with salmon that have been in the river a while and seen a few flies and lures already, you need to do something different. With all the more modern lures that people tend to use by preferance, I think devons can still offer the advantage a presenting a very different (and easier)target to the salmon.

By the way, was your date with the S.T. a success earler this week?

3. Dav

Dav Rockling

Hi Rupert , Yeah like i say i will definetly have to get a couple of 1" devons . They defo look the business , the ones i have are quite large so didnt really try them in low water , but think them 1" ers sound perfect .
    I did go for a seatrout but failed miserably , infact i never even seen a single fish move :sad:
    ive got my daughter this weekend but gona try and get out sunday evening for a few hres , hopefully a few fresh fish have enetered the river after these big tides . fingers crossed

4. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello Rupert,
    I'm a bit late with this reply but it's the first time I've had a proper look.

What a great report mate, great reading and photos, thanks for posting it.

Regards Ian