1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Busy Day for Flamborough Lifeboat - Kayakers & Kayak Anglers Rescued

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Apr 3, 2013.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Last Sunday the Flamborough lifeboat assisted with three rescues involving kayakers and kayak anglers around the Flamborough Head area.

Non of us like preaching on this site but please guys...

1. Make sure you have checked weather & tidal information and that it is within you capabilities before launching, if your not sure DO NOT LAUNCH. Take time to learn how the tides work on our coast and how even a slight wind can influence the tidal conditions. Remember conditions change hour by hour and can have a BIG affect on sea state especially in open water and around headlands. Gain some knowledge on how swells develop and know where swell predictions can be accessed.

2. Preferably don't go alone - in fact DON'T go alone if you are new to the sport.

3. Make sure you are suitable dressed for the cold water environment - dress for immersion, sea temperatures are at their lowest at the moment. Unsuitably dressed? Ten minutes in the water - Your DEAD.

4. Carry a working and charged portable VHF marine radio - and know how to use it. Wet mobile phones don't work too well, keep it in an Aquapac and don't expect reception under cliffs. Consider carrying a personal location beacon such as a McMurdo FastFind.

5. Make time to get yourself suitably trained, we are running VHF courses and Kayak Angling Safety Courses this Summer - you cannot have not seen them advertised.

6. Anchoring in tide is a RISK, manage and limit that risk by using the right techniques and practising in a slack/ still water environment.

7. When deciding to take up this hobby do as much research as you can, this forum is a gold mine of advice and information. Buy the right equipment the FIRST time, take good advice from reputable dealers, don't skimp on safety equipment, flares, communication devices, a good fitting drysuit, a Buoyancy Aid that fits correctly. Check your equipment regularly - its your life, protect it.

8. Practice and practice again self rescue skills in a safe environment - in a very sheltered water environment and with someone close at hand.

9. Tell someone on the shore where you are going and what time you are expected back - you can tell the coastguard of your intentions.

10. A short budget kayak may get you afloat cheaply and quickly but a low volume 10ft kayak IS NOT a suitable craft for the Yorkshire Coast - 12ft minimum is more suitable. It is not simply the length, VOLUME is important too, reserve volume = stability.

Most things that are FUN in this life carry RISK, being out on the sea carries much risk. As long as we manage and limit that risk then we can concentrate on the FUN.

Stay safe, use these pages to get all the advice and information you need. If you want someone to accompany you on your trips just pipe up and ask, there are many of us up and down the coast who are more than willing to assist. This list is not supposed to be exhaustive, please feel free at add any further thoughts you may have.

We look forward to seeing you out there this season :happy:

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Cheers Ken. I would add that Flamborough head has the strongest tides on our immediate coastline. Dont go there unless you know what your doing.

There are a lot of newbies this year, all keen to get out there. Just wait a few weeks till it warms up and the rest of us are on the water then come join us, safety in numbers and all that.

3. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/kayak-fishing-safety-advice-by-ken-oliver

Further kayak fishing safety advice at the links below :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/category/kayak-fishing/safety-zone/

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/category/kayak-fishing/

4. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

its always baffled me when flambrough is recommended to newbies as a relatively safe place to start.

ive only been a few times and the tides down there are unreal compared to the rest of our coast

5. Easy Yakker

Easy Yakker simply messing about in boats

That's all sound advice Ken and I am sure if everyone followed it, there would have been three less rescues last Saturday. The only thing I would add is that if you are a newcomer, simply don't go out on the sea between November and April, stay inland, practice your techniques, bling your kayak up, make rigs and wait for the sea to warm up.

6. Spawney-Dave

Spawney-Dave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks Ken

hopefully this has a positive effect & makes everyone think more carefully, would be nice if Andy could paste the guys facebook post, its only good luck & the actions of an attentive observer which stopped this being a post about a fatality.

7. Baramundi Bob

Whitby harbour is a decent place to start, high tide up near the marina is deep but safe. I remember taking farron and making him fall off. He bobbed up like a cork and got back on. Did it several times and only 10 ft from the river bank so I could have pulled him out if needed.

8. andym

andym Rockling

I didn't know the rescued Guy but he had messaged me wanting some advice below is those messages and responses and his Facebook status:

Mr X
    Hi Andy I'm new tothis kayaking lark. Have you got any tips?

18:26
    Andy Money
    Hi Mr X anything in particular?

18:28
    Mr X
    Erm Iv'e only been out a couple of times. Just wondering about tides etc when not to go out out etc. Ps I live about 30 mins from flamborough so that is where I will go mostly

19:13
    Andy Money
    Ive only fished flamborough once great place south landing main thing is wind as long as you know your limits best bet is to take it at your own pace and build up your comfort zone if it looks a bit dodgy or is forecast to get a bit dodgey wait for another day its a great feeling being out there but can be a deadly place too just be as prepared as you can be are you on any of the fishing forums there is some great advice and articles on whitby sea anglers site

Facebook status

Well I just want to take this opportunity to thank the RNLI, Humberside Coast Guard and the Yorkshire Ambulance service. Today they saved my life!!! I had gone out on my kayak fishing and after a short while I capsized. Although I got back on I slipped off again and couldn't right it. I was in the water for nearly 45 mins and luckily a guy on the cliffs saw me and called 999. You sir are a hero thank you whoever you are!!
    The RNLI rescued me and got me on dry land and then the coastguard checked me over and called the ambulance. My core temp had dropped to approx 33 degrees and I was shaking like a sh€$*+¥ng dog. I spent the next 2 1/2 hours in the ambulance warming up!! Once again massive thanks and needless to say the kayak and associated items are now for sale!!!! I will be getting my fish from Morrisons in future lol. So the morale of this story is life is too short and so life it

I have asked the lad in question if he would give me his account of the story as it could prevent future accidents or even deaths he has agreed but not heard anything as of yet (he might of changed his mind and cant blame him as he would be made an example out of)

I will post the account if/when I get it

The whole incident has made me be VERY careful when giving out advice as if the worst had happened I would be feeling very bad at the moment not that I had given out bad advice IMO but should/could have gone into more detail????????????

Andy

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Being able to right your kayak and board it is an absolute must. Sometimes they take in water through the hatch making it more difficult so perhaps it might be worth trying to right one with water in while practicing.

One thing is for certain, if you struggle in a few foot of water in a sheltered place, you are really going to have your work cut out in the open sea with tide, wind and movement. Not to mention boxes, fish finders, rods and paddles, anchors and sea anchors with ropes attatched etc.

if you are not sure of your own capabilities perhaps these scenarios should be taken into account before heading out into open water. After all if you do fall off while fishing, thats what you'll have to cope with.

10. andym

andym Rockling

Spot on Ray

I class a manual bilge pump a must have item even for a SOT I have needed to use mine once and made a tricky situation end without assistance

11. carpyken

carpyken New Member

You did absolutely fine Andy. The best we can do is give the other party guidance as to where they can get further information, be it web sites, books etc.

Obviously the one thing you do not do (which you you wouldn't do anyway) is to leave yourself wide open i.e. To say something like "Yes tomorrow looks good for a paddle around the Brigg".

Everyone has a different skill set, experience level and comfort zone. These decisions have to be made by the individual.....once they have gained the fundamental knowledge of tides, weather etc of course.....a difficult one.

Andy, i know you have mentored a couple of new lads and that really has to be commended. And that is good advice for some of the new paddlers too....try and find someone who has been doing it a while to take you out on those first tentative trips. You don't need to go far or into a committing environment to catch fish - I personally cannot wait to get over those inshore and sheltered bits of coast for the plaice and dabs :happy:

If there is anyone struggling, do make yourself known, we have a few lads that have bought gear recently through the shop and we are keeping in touch with them. I've offered the poor lad who had the mishap on Saturday some of my time, I think maybe he has had enough though.

Anyway lets not get bogged down too much, its good for us all to remember the safety aspect now and again. As a forum, and a great bunch of lads, lets have a great year afloat. :happy:

12. johnl

johnl Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Lucky Man

Practising the self rescues in warm flat calm water is one thing, but for real, in poor conditions when you are begining to panic is another. Building experience and confidence slowly has to be the key. I started last year and I still have a healthy "yellow streak". I will not be rushing back to the water after the winter break and getting some paddle fittness back first.

13. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Excellent info there Ken, never ceases to amaze me what some newbies will go out in. You find them launching in conditions I wouldn't even think about goining out in, really is a worry. Glad everyone is ok after Saturday's events but sounds like it was a close call.

Hopefully this will act as a good reminder of what care, attention and preparation needs to be taken.

If in doubt don't go out.

14. Welsh wizard

Welsh wizard if you don't know you don't need to know

Flamborough RNLI save the life of a kayaker from the sea off Thornwick Bay, followed by a request to assist another group of kayakers further down the coast.

Flamborough Lifeboat received the call on Sunday 31st March at around 1.30 pm after members of the public had spotted the man in difficulty from the cliff top at North Landing.

His kayak was upturned so he had been in the water for some time and was in serious danger of being dragged out to sea by the tide.
    The crew of the inshore lifeboat Elizabeth Jane Palmer managed to pull the tired and cold casualty from the sea and get him to South Landing in Flamborough where he was met by an ambulance crew and taken straight to hospital. We have no further news as to his condition at the time of this report.

Whilst returning to the lifeboat station, the volunteer crew received a further call to attend a group of kayakers who were struggling in the strong tide and calling for help. On arrival at the scene it was clear that some of the group had managed to reach shore, but one of their members was struggling. The lifeboat assisted this kayaker back to South Landing and safety.

15. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done the rnli and the member of the public who spotted this guy.
    next rnli box i see will be getting a donation from me,
    hope i never need you fellas but glad your there if needed.

frank.

16. Wooly warrior

Wooly warrior Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

so will i

17. Cartman74

Cartman74 Guest

It was me who put the post up on AA about this as I spoke to the RNLI man and the old boy who called them for the guy in North landing. The guy was in a kayak viewed by most to be a seaworthy vessel but he did not have a radio by all accounts. We saw the lifeboat launch for him whilst fishing just of south landing.

Myself and some of the ECKA lads took one look at NL on Sunday, it was Sunday by the way lads, and said no way!!

You have to respect that area of the coast as it will do you in. I fish there a lot as it is just down the road from me and I'm lucky to have experienced people helping me who have fished there for time, i.e., Hoggy, Stonefish and Bigbob1 (Presh to those who know him). Going out from NL was madness and I can't understand why he did not ask someone first. If he did then surely they would have warned him. I'm new to kayak fishing but not to kayaking as I used to do it in the forces in Wales for adventure training.

Anyway at least he's still alive, which is THE most important thing.

Let this serve as a warming to us all, newbies and experienced alike. I'd like to add, if I may be so bold, that is not only the newbie that is in danger from inexperience it is also the time served yakkers from complacency.

No one is immune!!

18. Cartman74

Cartman74 Guest

The old boy was your stereo typical English gent with a tweed cap on and walking cane. He looked like he walks the tops alot and thank god he did that day. They say we have guardian angels looking over us.

The RNLI man also told me his drysuit was leaking and had water in it upto his waist. Now there has been lots of debate about this on AA that I'm not going to get into on here but maybe this hindered him getting back on as all that extra weight would have made it difficult. Why was it filling up with water??? who knows?

19. Cartman74

Cartman74 Guest

It was Sunday Sam not Saturday :wink:

Your right some newbies do go out in less than favorable conditions but so do more experienced kayak anglers, they are not immune from a dunking or worse. Surely experienced people should lead by example mate?

The fact is if the weather is bad you can't fish anyway, leave the white water stuff to the likes of Ken and the like who are trained in it and wear the appropriate gear. e..g, helmets

G

That's it I'm moving on, fishing to be planned

20. carpyken

carpyken New Member

It was Sunday Sam not Saturday

Yes my fault, bank holidays and all that ..... consider it changed..