1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A busman's tope fishing holiday to..... HORNSEA!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by rupert, Jul 27, 2012.

1. mystic girl

mystic girl Blenny

Well done Rup -Good there was no damage with the launch problems
    I managed to leave half my prop in Whitby bay on Friday, and had to limp home on the resurve- again!!!!!!

Regards John

2. rupert

rupert Blenny

Just been back to the same mark again today - with great expectations.

Launch went without event, boat worked exactly as it should and loads of fresh macky for bait.

The only thing that didn't go accordording to plan was the tope.

We never had a sniff of an enquiry from a tope all day.

Funny old game..............

3. andym

andym Rockling

Unlucky Rupert strange sometimes just in the space of a tide how the fishing can change

4. blackmouth

blackmouth Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi mate-1st class report and some cracking fish there really well done -thought we were going to arrange a porgie trip ? you been out with alain much ? hope to see you soon .cheers the noo.

5. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

What a cracking report and pictures Rupert well done. Sorry for not commenting earlyer but only just found this report from facebook not sure how I missed it.

Tighjtlines Chris

6. rupert

rupert Blenny

Hi Finn

Don't know where the porgies have gone this year......there's been only one confirmed sighting off Whitby this year. A very different pattern to previos years. I was told today that the sea is a degree or so lower than the norm, so whether that's influenced their travels, I just don't know. I'm geared up with frozen chum ready for a mission, but would like to wait until the odds are a bit higher than sightings would suggest.

The tope however, offer a very satisfying alternative!

7. rupert

rupert Blenny

In readiness for Al's Tope grope at the end of the month, here is a useful table to estimate the weight from the length.

http://www.ukshark.co.uk/length-weight.htm

My big tope was 78" total length, which the table states as 71lb. 10 days later, I note it's been reduced in weight in the 2012 "Hall of Fame" to 60lb.
    Being a big fat barsteward myself, I'd be capped with that sort of % weight loss in such a short time.

I've done the Atkins, but maybe I should try the "Hall of Fame" diet next. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

8. rdngd

rdngd Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Maybe the guys at the Hall of Fame just hit the wrong keys. Those tables are from 9 years of shark tagging and over 4000 tope how much more info do they need. I lifted in that fish and have over the years of fishing in the Florida Keys lifted in 1000's of fish best day at Fish the Dream we had 63 shark so I think I am fit to comment and yes it was a solid 70 + lbs. Why is it when someone does something as good as Rupert people just like to knock it down only in the UK !!!

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Hi Rupert, I think I owe you an apology. I was talking to your friend today and he said I got the weight of this top wrong in The Hall Of Fame. This wasnt done initentionally. What I normally do is get a list of links together. Then when I have time, I go through the links to add them to the hall of fame. I scan each topic looking for a weight of the fish. Often its there immediately, but in long topics like yours (Long topics are great, More detaiil the better), I can struggle to find the fishes weight so I have guessed it.

Anyhow, I apologise for that and I will correct it at the next update.