1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Better Fish from the Cliffs

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by THE DOLPHIN, Dec 9, 2013.

1. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Well after that storm surge last week I couldn’t wait to get out fishing so Friday night saw me and one of my old school mates Jeff have a go over on the Headland at Hartlepool. On arrival at the bandstand the first thing that Jeff said when we got out the car was have you seen the size of them waves and proceeded to have a walk down to the promenade to get a better look and in a matter of seconds he came back and said I don’t think we will get along there with them waves coming over undeterred I continued to get my gear sorted.

So as we walked down towards the prom we stopped for a minute to observe the situation the waves were coming over but only in one area which was mainly spray so in between the big swells coming in we got past and along to the mark where we were going to fish.
    The sea was way bigger than I had anticipated going by the webcams but the only other marks were the likes of the pilot pier or Middleton pier both of which would fish pretty poor in them conditions.

We decided that we would have a few cast and see if we could hold the bottom and surprisingly we did. Well we tried all types of bait from Peeler Cart Squid Rag Worm Blacks Mussel but nothing produced any bites whatsoever. So after a few hours we called it a night and headed off home we still had a good night and watching the spray from the waves hitting the prom was quit spectacular and I think Jeff took some pics I will post them if I can get them off him.

Saturday night I decided to head to Sandsend to fish from the cliffs my favourite mark of all I got there for high water and the first mark I tried was rabbit holes.
    Fishing hear was hard work with the north swell a bit too big to hold the bottom even with the grip wires on my lead bound tight with bait elastic.

After three cast without any bites I decided to move round to Bernie’s Ledge I thought there would of been more lads fishing there but there was only one lad fishing. I had a quick chat with him the usual have you caught out how long have you been hear that sort of thing. He told me he couldn’t hold the bottom which I was surprised as the ground off there is quit snaggy he also said he had no bites so things weren’t looking to good.

I quickly got sorted and lobbed out a bait of peeler and cart and my lead was holding the bottom fine. The tide now was well into the ebb and it looked perfect for a fish and within minutes the rod tip started twitching so I picked my rod up ready to strike but I couldn’t feel anything else so put it back on the rest and within seconds it started again this time when I picked the rod up it kept twitching so I struck and hooked a small codling around the 2lb mark.

The next couple of casts out I got a few rattles on the rod tip but no proper pulls so with the depth of water rapidly getting shallower I decided one last cast plus the previous wind in the lead pulled out of the water when pulling the lead from the snag so there must of only been a couple of foot of water.
    I re baited with peeler and cart and cast out as hard as I could and proceeded to put my gear away ready for the off.

Then it happened a proper pull down bite I grabbed the rod and held off striking until it went again this time it nearly pulled the rod out of my hands so struck and it was fish on I could tell it was a better fish as it bounce along the bottom I could feel everything with the new braid fixed spool set up. I soon had the fish at the bottom of the cliff and I knew it was going to give the new Mitchell Avocast 8000 a work out winching it up but it did it with a few heart stopping moments when the fish got caught on the cliff face but lowering it back down then winding again soon had me a nice fat cod of 6lb at my feet I was well chuffed.

I have had a few blank this season but its times like that which make it all worthwhile.
    Sorry picture is of the fish after it had been gutted but I had to wait for my good mate Ian to come and take pics as my camera is goosed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading Tight lines Chris

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done chris, nice fish

3. andym

andym Rockling

We'll done Chris enjoyed reading that mate

4. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

well done chris

5. NICKB

NICKB Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Result Chris, well done fella. 8)

Nick

6. Lynn_M

Lynn_M Its all about fast bikes & fishing !!!! :-)))))

Good work , must have been you we saw walking down the steps into carpark about 11.30 ish there was another head torch not to far behind , pulled over to take some layers off we had been on whitby west :)

7. craigyb

craigyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice report, well done

8. bow1

bow1 Rockling

nice one chris an identical bag to what i had saturday from noses.point.
    u.out tomorra thinking of a recce to ryhope cliffs if u fancy it

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

9. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

I would of been the one following behind as the other lad set off just before me.

Would of liked to join you Sean as I to would like to have a look around them cliff marks but I am taking the dog to it's dog training class tomorrow night.

10. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

good bag there chris... pleased ya braid set up coped with the winching of the bigger fish up the cliff, well done

p.s. Sean what time ya going on ya recce...
    cheers
    Paul

11. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

Well done mate

12. penn

penn Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

enjoyed the read and well done on your adventure it paid off ;)

13. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice one chris. Sandsend always seems to produce for you, nice fish as well :)

14. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A nice report which was a good read and a nice fish as well.
    I had a drive around the front at hartlepool on Friday evening and there was a few out. It was lively an hour before high. Not sure if much got caught as only watched from the warmth of the car :)

15. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

well done Chris , that's a nice fish you have there

16. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Cracker that mate well done. I am defo giving cliffs ago in feb when i have a week in whitby

17. Davo

Davo Rockling

Well done Chris, keep up the good work.

18. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Just thought I would bump this back up as I am sick of reading sh-te about bloody secrets and people pinching marks of skippers for god sake get a grip. Thanks to all of you who replied to this fishing report it's much appreciated.

19. wilky

wilky Blenny

20. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

well done mate , i remember big cliff saying sometimes well into the ebb and you get the better fish,
    may see you at the ship inn open . 8)