1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A back breaking night up Bemmo!! 9 Cod With Pictures

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Mark Gelder, Feb 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

This season has not been a busy one compared to previous ones, with only half a dozen trips since the beginning of season, ive normally managed that by end of October.

Anyway on with the report, planned hit the coast yesterday with the forecast of some long distance swells, originally planned to get a few fresh worms first but that plan failed as I could not get away from Donny til almost 4. Decided to head straight upto Bemmo.

I was up there for 5.45 and was welcomed by a great looking sea, the sea looked thick with colour.

I was in and fishing for 6 as the light was fading fast, bait was a cocktail of peeler, mussel and worms, nothing first cast so after 20 mins sent out another cocktail, had a few nibbles but still no definite cod bites.

Now around 6.40 so 3rd cast sent in just peeler, i'd not even got chance to sort out another bait before the rod was banging away, a few mins later cod number 1, straight back out and it wasn't long before number 2 was also up, next 5 casts and managed to land 4 more including a better one around 4.5lb, lost the other one half way up.

It was now around 9ish and my back was in bits. It was quiet for a around 30mins so decided to move 70yds or so north into dugout for last 2hrs of ebb.

First chuck and nothing so changed tack and down scaled to smaller 3/0 hooks and a smaller crab bait to get a bit more distance I also changed spools to my 30lb code red, it had only been in a few seconds and rod was showing signs of interest, a few mins later cod number 7 was landed.

Straight back out and this time a cracking bite, lifted rod out of rest and it lunged over, the fish obviously new it was hooked and was heading north, couldn't even reel it at first, eventually managed to turn it but new it was a very good fish and also new that it was probably going to need a miracle to land it.

Anyway after what seemed like an eternity it was underneath me, struggled to get the rod in the rest as it continued to make lunges, at this point knew it was just not going to happen as the reel locked and the rod was almost bending from the butt, don't even think the fish was out of the water, the inevitable happened next with the line parting on the snood.

Back now singing all sorts of songs, I was now considering heading home even though the fish were still in a feeding mood. Cast out another rig and almost straight away was into another mop, lost this mid cliff, the very same next cast,

2 more followed next 2 casts with bites coming almost immediately as the bait hit the bottom, it was now 10.50 and i'd decided to make it my last cast, after around 5 mins I was into another fish, cod number 10 i'd hoped but alas it wasn't to be as a nice sized LSD popped over the side.

That was it, back had given up completely, a cracking session, 9 cod, nothing under 2lbs and a better one around 4.5lb.

[​IMG]

Apologies for the 'drive photo', also the birds up there might get a nice 2.5lb surprise when they wake up this morning as ive just took a snap of the fish and only fetched 8 back home, think 1 must have slipped out of my bag probably as I moved to sub lol

• Like Like x 2
  2. craigyb

craigyb Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: A back breaking night up Bemmo!!

Cracking session, well done 8)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Howard

Howard Blenny

Just shows plenty of fish on the ground and big ones amongst em time of yr for some real monsters. Well done Mark!

4. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Not sure why photos not on i'll try again.......

5. Steve

Steve Rockling

Well done mark. Was going up there myself last night but ended up at south landing

6. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sounds a cracking night. Well done.
    That said, I have decided that Bempton is just not for me.
    I fish mainly in the hope of catching a decent fish, and the knowledge I would not be able to land it even if I did would put a big dampener on the experience.
    In your position, I think I would have returned rather disappointed, and would only be thinking of a decent unlanded fish?

• Like Like x 1
  7. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

Cracking session bud. Bit of a lottery on landing the fish though, shame.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

8. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

well done mark, missed your reports this year. glad to see youve been out doing a bit.

tightlines

9. robq

robq Rockling

Nice bag of fish mark 8)

Think I will be having a few sessions down roll up :)

10. stevie62

stevie62 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Good report on a nice session.

11. Cliffhanger

Cliffhanger Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done but if you wanna land good sized fish at bempton you need an alvey and cliff pole !

12. Steve

Steve Rockling

why. i got a 10pounder up on a 545 and no pole (there was 2 of us though)

13. adrenalin.

adrenalin. Blenny

Cracking report king cod!proper sesh that buddy,unlucky with losing the big boy!missed the driveway shots this season lol.

14. cps

cps Rockling

I had 1 an oz short of 10 in dug out no pole and on me tod, tired arms or what

• Like Like x 1
  15. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Well in mark,you've really got those cliff's mastered...he who dares mate ;)

16. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

What a cracking session mark , ached all over but went home happy, cant be bad

17. imonlycoddin

imonlycoddin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

good session mark ive missed your reports on bemmo this year, well done bud some nice fish unlucky with the clunker.

18. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Thanks for the replies guys, reckon this summer is going to be a cracker

• Like Like x 1
  19. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Think your right....followed by a special winter ;).....mick.

20. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member