1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

90 Minutes Into 2 Minutes - Dan's UK Record Common Skate Video

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

http://youtu.be/mHGTIcdyjQA

2. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great stuff:) really interesting to see that thanks. Do you know details of his rod etc? It's a hell of an advert!!

3. boro roy

boro roy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Quality!

4. GJW

GJW Rockling

Don't know how Dan kept his cool with you lads digging him.. 8) "get it wound in lad" "put ya back into it" "It's only a git flatty" ;D ;D Great footage, well done.. :)

5. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Dan I can see why your voice had gone up a couple of octaves when we spoke last week !

6. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking video well done Dan on getting the thing in looked like torture to me ;D

7. robq

robq Rockling

2 minutes looked agony let alone over an hour of it :eek:

great clip thanks for sharing :)

8. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That's some zoo creature,suprised the rod didn't snap or have the reel ripped off :eek:
    Great vid n well done on a huge skate.

9. bucko

bucko New Member

You can feel the pain!
    Those Winter mops will never feel the same again!

10. Baramundi Bob

All the info is at this link :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/common-skate-record-broken-isle-skye

11. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Wow, on a 16 ft rod too, that's a surprise; incredible. Well done young sir

12. Baramundi Bob

Just goes to show what can be done if you set your gear up correctly. I think the wire snood was only 66lb too.

13. smokey

smokey Rockling

What an awesome man against beast fight,quality angling dan 8)

14. rupert

rupert Blenny

I've had quite a few skate to nearly 200lb, but never quite pipped that magic threshold. But that's from a boat, not the shore. All credit due to Dan. God knows what a 200lber feels like on a beach caster rod, I felt well knackered on a 80lb boat rod!

Hat's off. Whether its a an all time dead fish record or not, is really not the bee all and end all in this big fish world. Regardless, I think Dan will look back and know that he has caught a shore skate that is well up at the top end with the all time best of them. Regardless of certificates, the brilliant photos and videos are the best endorsement of the achievement in my eyes. Awesome stuff!

Not quite sure how Dan follows on from here, but that's his enviable position!

Look forward to his next adventure!.

15. mystic girl

mystic girl Blenny

Well done Dan –one of life’s experiences you will never forget

16. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

cracking pictures and video, well done Dan, it will no doubt be a moment of your life that will be embedded into your brain and the also the into the lives of the rest of the "Bass Club" who were lucky enough to be there...
    well done to you again and thanks for sharing
    cheers
    Paul

17. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i know it looks good but i bet dan never wants to hook another one it just looks like pain.
    you have ruined the fishing for yourselfs ,them north yorkshire cod are just never going to do it for you ever again.
    still cant believe that you got that flattie as lobbers calls it in on a beach caster and fixed spool reel.
    great video and thanks for sharing your trip ,all them fish and you got the weather as well.

thanks again , frank.

18. Baramundi Bob

Joking aside Frank, your very right you know. How can a codling on the soame rod ever compete. Its the same for all of us, we found a new pollack mark up there on the kayaks, it threw out 7 double figure pollack in 2 sessions.

Heaviest we weighed was Mikes at almost 13lbs, but I swear I had one roughly 2 to 3lbs heavier than his but I couldnt weigh it as I got my bloody scales full of water and knackered them.

I got 2 doubles in the same night. Yet down here Ive tried for several years, Ive come close on a few occasions but never managed it. Skye is going to take some beating for us all.

19. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

got some interesting ideas for Scotland next year. The research has already begun.

Also gonna try a couple of things to try this winter that might make things abit more exciting

20. smokey

smokey Rockling

Have you thought about all chipping into a pot and buying a Sib or small rib/dory?
    They could easily be man handled and give you all transport to them inaccessible marks.