1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catch Report 8 Day San Diego Trip - 56lb Yahoo

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by ndskinner, Oct 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ndskinner

ndskinner Blenny

I recently Went on an eight day fishing trip on the Excel out of San Diego.

We Left San Diego California for a 500 mile trip to the Alijos Rocks (in the background) Which are 3 rocks in the middle of nowhere and is rarely fished.

Caught this 51.6lb Wahoo jigging from 80 feet down and then a fast wind.

They are a Very fast and powerful fish. See attached image for an idea of what these fish are all about.

I Finished of with an assortment of Yellowtail, Dorado (Mahi Mahi) and Yellowfin tuna.

wahoo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Hey nice one mate. Where do you live ?? Was this a Holiday or are you based there ? also what sort of tackle are we talking to make such a capture and how long did it take from hook up to landing the fish ? And did you eat it ?

3. ndskinner

ndskinner Blenny

Thanks Glenn. I'm originally from Hartlepool. Started my sea fishing as a young lad on the Famous and Mary Jane.

I now live in Santa Monica, California so San Diego is an approximate 3 hour drive and the boat then sails down into Mexican waters on the Pacific Ocean side.

For this particular fish I using a jig called a wahoo bomb, a seven foot calstar rod and a Penn FTH40LD2 2 speed reel with 40 LB test. You can also fly line a live sardine to catch these fish, but you have to use a wire leader as these fish will bite right through mono easily.

From hook to landing it took approximately 8 minutes max. I had the drag set quite high as we were losing fish to sharks. Yes, the fish I kept I am eating.

The boat keeps the fish in near freezing salt water and once off the boat you there are 3 company's to chose from at the landing which process the fish for you.

This includes filleting and vacuum sealing the packages so the fish can be enjoyed for up to six months As more people are travelling all over the globe to work I wanted to post just in case any anglers from home may end up this way so they know what is available to them.

The boat I went on is the excel.

Excel Long Range Sportfishing - San Diego, CA.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Sounds an awesome experience. Very different to a trip out of north east England I image. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Im hoping you post more soon.

5. rupert

rupert Blenny

Like the sound of live sardine fished on a fly rod!

I'm out in the States later in the year and hoping for some trophy photographs like that, if not for me, with my pals going with me.

Thanks for giving us the detail of your trip. I like to hear about new species!

6. ndskinner

ndskinner Blenny

Here is an example for fly lining a sardine for Yellowfin Tuna Rupert. This boat is in the beginning of a wide open Tuna bite. Looks like it was from an 1 day boat and they found the Tuna underneath the floating kelp.