1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6500 sports mag brakes help

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by graydays, Jan 26, 2009.

1. graydays

graydays Codling - the spawn of two different fish?

Hi guys.
    A newbie question for ya.
    Up to date I have been fishing with fixed spool but wanted to give multipliers a go so got myself a cheap 6500 sports mag.
    Looked at all the manuals with it but cannot find anything about the 2 small fibre washers in the bag with oil and spanner.
    Am i correct in thinking that these are centrifugal brake blocks?
    If so, are they spares or do I need to fit them? If the latter, where the hell do they go?
    Any help on tuning the reel would also be much obliged - all the paperwork that comes with the reel says is to set the centre spool brake tight enough so that if you flex the rod tip lightly with the selected weight/bait attached, it should drop about 10 inch before stopping. If it doesn't drop, the brake's too tight - if it falls to the floor the brake's too loose?

2. Slim Jim

Slim Jim Blenny

If the fibre washers you talk about are brake blocks they will be about 1mm in diameter and 2 mm long. You do not need them , but they can be added on the pin at the handle end of the spool. Use of the magnet control is usually good enough for control. Start with the control on a high setting 6 or 7 and keep reducing it with each cast until you find that the reel is getting too fast (ie the line lifting in the cast) then increase it back one setting. This should be ok except for strong headwind situations when you may need to increase the setting a little. The spool tension should be set so that with the reel out of gear there is a slight bit of end float (sideways slack). The setting they give is more for casting lures. Hope this helps a little. If you are new to multipliers, they might take a little getting used to, but will make your fishing better in the end. Dont give up too quickly.

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Hi Gray...ignore the advice from the manual about the centre cap....it will probably not be suitable if you intend to cast with the reel. The centre cap will put tension on the spindle and not help you really.

I don't use the centrafugal brakes on a mag reel but if not enough braking from the mags you can use both, deffo still worth sorting the bearings though as below as they will be full of grease which will break down and so become inconsitant after a while.

Below is how to sort the bearings and fit the blocks if you just use the mag ignore the blocks and just tune the bearings.

To start with take the right hand end plate and handle assembly off the reel by unscrewing the three knurles screws.
    Then you will see that the handle assembly comes away in one piece with the end plate. Set that aside no need to tamper with that.
    You will see that on the same end of the spool that you can see two very small pins that is where the fibre brake blocks go.
    Before fitting the brake blocks best sort the bearings out while you have the reel apart.
    The abu reel oil that comes with the reel will be very similar to red rocket oil and will help control the reel.
    You need to remove the bearings from the spool.at the handle end simply remove the cir-clip that holds the brake block carrier and the bearing will be able to be tapped out.Then at the other end pull the white cog away from the spool its lightly clipped in place,the other bearing will also come out.There will be a very thin copper washer in one end also just remember which end so you can replace it correctly.

Then get some lighter fluid and put some in a little clean tablet bottle and drop the bearings in....give them a soak and shake to remove any factory grease. Then take the bearings out pop them on some kitchen paper and allow to dry for a minute or two.
    Then carefully apply a tiny drop or two of the provided or better still TG red rocket oil to each bearing.Only put a tiny drop on and if you do that on kitchen paper too you will see when the drop has run through.

Wipe the excess off the bearing and then pop them back in the spool and then replace the spool and spindle ....next if no blocks fitted to the carrier fit the two small blocks provided as a starting point (you can remove one as you get used to the reel)
    Then put it all back together......when you fill the reel start off by only filling to within about 1/8 of an inch (3mm) from the top of the spool,again that will help with keeping the reel under control.

Doing all of that will help the reel from being too lively and give you the confidence that can be easily lost with a too lively multi.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Jellyworm

4. Slim Jim

Slim Jim Blenny

Personally I wouldn't advise taking grease out of the bearings until you become proficient at casting with your new reel. It will help you not get birds nests with mistimed casts. Only look to speed it up when you feel it is holding you back !!

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Suppose it comes down to personal experience Jim....I was in a similar position to Graydays and after blowing my reels up repeaetedly a few years ago The help I got was to get the grease out and not tune for speed but to keep the way bearing s ran consistant.....it worked for me so I stuck with it......I know Neil Mackllow recommends using the blocks first and foremost before even using the mags,but I guess that will be based around field casting ?
    As I say we all do things different ...just that I found the way reel worked on factory bearings out the box was a bit inconsistant....maybe I just had a flighty reel....but I ve just followed the same routine that worked.....thats the good thing about forums at least you get loads of view points about the same topic :happy:

Cheers Jellyworm.

6. seabass

seabass Blenny

hey up jellyworm , sounds good to me i ave the similar problems with penns 525 and 535 reels from new, by cleaning the bearings off and re-oiling them it seems to help them run in and settle down quicker . i tend to leave a bit more spool showing when i fill up with line, and all so find this helpfull to operate at night.

7. graydays

graydays Codling - the spawn of two different fish?

Wow guys,

Didn't realise it was going to be so much of a hassle, but I suppose I may as well bite the bullet and go for broke.
    Will fit blocks I think, being a newbie I need all the help I can get from the reel. Will leave the grease alone until I get a few practice casts in at local park and then try with fresh oil to see difference. Hope it is sturdier than it looks for when I strip it down, compared to my fixed spool it feels as if it's made of bacofoil.