1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

53lb Halibut On Sea Otter 2

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bigcod, May 10, 2014.

1. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

53lb Halibut Caught on a Rhubarb and Custard Sidewinder Shad bought from Whitby Angling Supplies. Buy Sidewinder Shads Here.

A 53lb halibut On Sea Otter 2 - Report By Paul Kilpatrick

Well what a day today turned out to be the lads had had a nice day the conditions weren't brilliant by any means with a fairly stiff southwest wind but the lads worked hard and some nice cod and good sized ling came aboard but it was right at the latter end of the day that got Everbody dancing about on the deck.

I said to the lads its last drop and then home time everybody dropped down includeing barry who had started to nail a nice few fish in the latter of the day he said i fancy a big one on this drop paul and i said you never know barry barry dropped his 6" rubarb and custard sidewinder down fingers crossed what happened in the next 25 minutes was true to the word barrys rod got as good thump the next thing his reel was peeling line off something big had taken his lure .

Barrys face was picture what the hell have i got on here paul i said i can guess but lets get the fish moving off the bottom barry allways has his clutch set in case he hits a big one and yes thank the lord in this case perfect no clutch set and his line would have bang barry managed to get the fish moving but no sooner had he got it 50-60ft off the bottom down it went like bullet this happened 4 or 5 times till he got it to the surface i was waiting with the gaff to come into view i knew it had to be 50 lb plus by the way barry was struggleing with it sure enough when the fish came to the surface my hunch was right a fantastic fish barry was still shaking he couldnt beleive his eyes he was over whelmed a fish of a liftime the lads onboard all shook his hand he played that fish like pro very well done barry .

His rod was Shackespeare uly stick 20-30lb class and his reel was a Penn 320 GT and again the 6" rubarb and custard sidewinder does the buisness .

Barry Kemper with his prize halibut barry strugglers to hold it what a fish.

[​IMG]

I would just like to say a massive well done to Barry kemper with his 53 lb halibut a fish of a lifetime well done Barry an awesome fish .

Paul

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/whitby-charter-boat-fishing

Attached Files:

3. SteveLee

SteveLee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking Fish.
    Well done to Angler & skipper

4. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

What a fish!

Hopefully a few more to come as well this season.

Well done skipper Paul & captor Barry.

Barry is obviously so overcome by his capture that he has even forgot to take the 6" Rubarb & Custard Sidewinder Shad (which can be purchased through ebay from Whitby Angling Centre) out of its mouth. ;)

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

You forgot to mention that Whitby Angling Supplies is now the areas sole supplier of Sidewinder Shads. Soon you wont find them in many other places in The North East. Get them whilst they last. Buy Sidewinder Shads Here.

6. BigPauly

Sorry Glenn

Also can I add that other killer shads and top tackle are also available through Whitby Angling Supplies.
    ;)

7. Big Kev

Big Kev Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great job skipper, and congratulations Barry.
    I'd love to see one of the yak boys hook one :D

8. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Good god. Will be giving my foot long shads a try

9. Jmeddy

Jmeddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Congratulations Paul and the chap who caught it well done quality fishing :))

10. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Absolutely phenomenal fish so many congratulations to Barry on the fish of a lifetime and equally so to Paul for putting Barry on the fish. Congratulations to all involved. Its still relatively early as well is there a bigger one to come ? I've often wondered if some of the " zoo creatures " hooked and lost in the lee of some wrecks could indeed be monster halibuts ? We will never know I suppose but captures like this one keep every one of us keen for more.

11. Misso

Misso Blenny

Can I first say well done to killer and to Barry on both skipper and angler finding a fish of a lifetime there are not many anglers that would land such a fish, put to one side like Philk Paul's lad said time to put politics to those that preach to one Side, and leave the speaking to the top skippers who report their catch reports.
    Think it's time to move on on and continue to support this site in both catch reports and help that glen puts into the site and others who support their skippers reports, sorry if I sound chessey but I am pissed.

12. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Might not be a bad idea, the few halibut that have been caught seem to be a by catch of the targetted cod and ling, its like with pollock, you get the odd one or two on hokkias but they are few and far between....go for the jellyworms with a slow steady retrive and they are taking all day long.

Ive always fancied giving it a go with massive shads off the kayak but the days that you can get out are so rare that the fail safe cod fishing takes over, but with a targetted attempt there may be more of them about than we think

Oh and many congratulations to angler and skipper, I bet that was a fight you felt for a while afterwards :D

13. Mark

Mark Blenny

A big well done to Barry,good angling. A very well done to paul for putting the lads on the fish as he always does.

cheers mark.

14. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Its the 2nd halibut in two years the last one was 37lb but i think when you hit the 50lb + mark it takes it to another level an absolute fantastic fish all i can say barry did a a hell of job on landing this fish full credit to him he allways has his clutch set just enough in case a fish of size grabs hold the lad was knackered after he landed it but he had the biggist grin on his face you could imagine hopefully a few more of these beautiful fish will be landed here at whitby this coming year.

paul.

15. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

It's such a shame when some anglers do not have their reels set properly, I hate to imagine how many amazing fish have been lost do to being snagged off due to either bad gear/knots or reels not being set correctly.

Lets hope for some more of these monsters this summers.

Tight lines

Phil

16. BigPauly

If anyone was to target these Halibut specifically, what would be the best approach in terms of end tackle, method and the type of ground to fish over?

17. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I would love to catch something like that but..... I have no clue as to what I would do with it :-\. I am pretty sure I couldn't do it justice in the culinary
    department.
    I think I would be tempted to let it go after being weighed etc.
    Does anybody knows what has happened in the past to big fish? Do they get sold to a restaurant maybe? or just cut up and frozen. :)

18. jackling

jackling Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Belting fish

19. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

what a abelter of a fish congratulations to Barry and to skipper Paul

20. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Cracking fish that Paul and a big well done to Barry for playing it well. After reading your report Paul of how it took line of the reel it got me think about last year we were fishing a wreck near House and Buzzer and my mate got hooked into something big which he managed to get lifted off the bottom but then it lunged back down and he couldn't do anything to stop it if only he had set his clutch he may of landed it also it was hooked after we drifted off the wreck. Well done Paul for putting the boat in the right place for the lads.