1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

53LB HALIBUT FROM WHITBY

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dan the pollock, May 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

You have obviously never weighed a fish at sea.................................................there is such a thing as roll.....................and as Glen said, you cannot really do it :crazy:

2. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

:suspious: :confused: :angry: :surprise: :sad: :evil: :ugly: whats going on :hurt:

3. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Offshore cranes,scales and winches on platforms and vessels use a system called heave compensation. This system takes measurements based around the centre of gravity of the vessel, the length and breadth of the vessel,the height from surface of the sea to the position of crane/winch/scales and the point of fixture of the crane/winch etc. from the cenrte of gravity. There is then a very complicated formula that works out the pitch and heave of the vessel to give an accurate reading of the load attached to the winch/crane or scale (weighing device).
    These systems are very very expensive and when set up right give accurate readings, they are NOT 100% accurate and the only way to get a True measurement of weight is to measure something on a solid surface, that is something that does not move, as previously mentioned by very experienced fishermen.
    However, this is a very special fish for the region and the captor should be applauded.
    Taking everything into account like weather conditions at the time, uncalibrated scales, pitch and roll of the boat etc etc. the fish would have been best described as around 50lb + Many many congratulations to the captor on a magnificent achievement and a mouth watering prospect now awaits Bigcod on his upcoming Halibut quest. Cant wait for the report on this one very exiting stuff for the region

4. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

The whole thing lacks credibility. The weight, the lack of photos, the fact he put it back.

Even if he didnt have a camera (or mobile phone camera) on his boat he would shout someone up on the radio if only 5 miles out and get a pic that way.

There are too many people wanting this story to be a reality who are not looking at the facts.

Alan

5. Tommy

Tommy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yes I have………………….. And I do realise big cod that when a boat comes into contact with the sea it tends to move. But as I said I have weighed fish at sea all over the world. I have never claimed a record from this method of weighing but I believe that in this case no body was claiming a record.
    Again if this report is true I cannot congratulate him enough .

6. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

if you can get details name, boat etc I will add to my NE records, by my records that is the biggest halibut caught along the NE/E coast.

7. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

Tommy, I have to apologise I was on Bigcod's PC when I was home for the weekend and thought I was on my logon, but I standby what I said........................This all just smells a bit 'FISHY' to me.

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Hi Alan,

Im not sure about your own records, but for it to stand as a port record in Whitby it has to be weighed on the shore in either tackle shop.

9. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

if it can be verified I will accept it, if there is any doubt then it gets the heave hoo

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

any pictures yet ?

11. spearson

spearson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi every one i agree with ND Skinner the one i caught 37lb took two of us to lift in my small boat.I got hold of its tail and Carl its gills. I needed both hands its power was unreal.So how do you get a big 53pounder into a boat without damaging it then weighing it before letting it go would not be easy. Stevep

12. Tommy

Was there anymore update on this fish from anybody? It would have been a great bit of PR for the angling industry from Whitby if the fish and angler could have been confirmed. Was there not a boat spending a week targeting halibut recently from Whitby? Any updates on that one?
    Tommy.

13. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

Tommy

Look at the post 'Targetting Halibut With The Boat Fishing Monthly Boys', surely you have seen that????

14. Tommy

what the hell are you going on about??????????????

15. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

You are definately blind then!!!!!! specsavers me thinks

16. squidward

squidward Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

17. Tommy

Education for you me thinks.

18. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

I am very educated Tommy

:educated: :educated: :educated: :educated: :educated: :educated: :educated: :educated: :educated: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :educated: :educated: :educated: :educated: :educated: :educated: :laugh: :laugh:

19. Tommy

Yea ok then Phil. I can see that from your very mature statements and serial, serene and clinically inspiring PM, s that you send me.
    Tommy

20. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

That is not a problem Tommy!