1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

53LB HALIBUT FROM WHITBY

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dan the pollock, May 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

:scare:
    awesome fish, although the pics in a garden isnt it?

2. 1LASTCAST

1LASTCAST Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

that is a lovely fish however cannot have been released as the garden shed in the rear says not,now if there would have been a boat cuddy in the background with a bit of sea,that would lead me to believe the fish was released,now realy i dont care if the fish was released or not,i would certainly have kept it myself,martin is this the fish you caught and did you keep it as people including myself are of a suspicious nature and catches like that are very rare but if you did catch it and release or keep it well done to you!! thats a hellova fish!!

3. langy

langy Rockling

certainly can't of been released,

4. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Maybe just a breakdown in communications people these things happen. Its still a cracking fish well done Martin.

5. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I cant see a photo, :surprise: where,s the photo :confused:

6. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I a just a bit confused, so it was not weighed at Whitby Angling or another official place??????

Shame if it was not as it is not then an official pot record is it?

7. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

found the photo, not much info on it though, its a bit small :cool:

8. martin

martin New Member

I live on a House Boat

9. ian2323

ian2323 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

All relative though. In Alaska, as someone said below, they shoot any fish over 100 lbs before they bring it on the boat. Biggest I caught when I landed there was 200 lbs exactly, but the state record was 454 lbs. My son aged 10 at the time hooked the 200 pounder, but had to hand the rod to me as was too strong for him to manage.

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Thats a hell of a fish Martin. You can tell be the scale of the fish against the lad that its a beauty. Have you any bigger pictures for us ?? Its a shame the pic is so small as a fish like this should be shown to everyone. I guess you were fishing with Malc ??

11. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

keep dreaming martin.

he was fishing roughly 5miles offshore, next time hes in the shop ill try and get as much info as i can

12. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

that looks bigger than 50lb fish to me it will be about half a foot thick???

13. mystic girl

mystic girl Blenny

If he was 1 mile or 5 miles off, that's the sort of information you would sell your mother for (even better the GPS coordinates)

14. Tommy

Tommy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Totally agree with that statement. Never mind records, or was it officially weighed. Has the man claimed it as a record? If I had anything to do with the commercial side of the recreational fishing from Whitby I would be pushing this great achievement as much as I could. A fantastic fish that is proving yet again that Whitby is a great specimen angling destination. Regardless to weather this man is in the angling business or just an angler the fish is fantastic. Fish like this one plus the other halibut that have been caught recently should be presented along side the great cod fishing that is experienced from this part of the world.
    Records create competition, competition creates mistrust. None of these should be debated when first such an angling achievement is published. At least that’s what I think.
    Tommy.

15. Baramundi Bob

From what I can decipher.

A). Martin did not catch this fish, hes winding you up.
    B). Its likely someone caught a good halibut at Whitby, possibly 50lb or even more, and has told Dan about it in the shop.
    C). Its impossible to get an accurate weight of a fish on a boat at sea, its just not happening.

16. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

the bloke is as honest as the day is long and the fish was weighed aboard his boat.
    obviously its not as accurate as on shore but if the scales were reading 53lb then it would be in the high 40s at least.

it snapped the top 6 inches off his shimano beastmaster 20/30. he was telling us when he came in for an eye to put back on the end of it.

as you say glenn the pic is from google and martin is just having a laugh.

17. Baramundi Bob

I have witnessed people trying to weigh fish on a boat and its all but impossible. This fish could weigh anything from 45 - 60lbs or more. It will be nice to see the pictures and as the fish is Whitby caught it needs publicising. It does my head in when people catch good fish and dont take snaps. Quaity fish like this should be snapped for the long term archives

I know that Killer will be out with the BFM guys pretty soon. I bet Dave Barham will be chomping at the bit once he reads this. Would be nice to know where it was caught and what on so that the lads can have a bit of a headstart when they go off with killer. I know that they are going to publish the rsults in BFM and get a camera crew up if they are succesful.

18. Dav

Dav Rockling

Sounds a good fish either way , , might have to take a knife on my yak next time im out incase i hook one of these beasts....

19. Tommy

Tommy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Strange that, I have weighed hundreds of fish all over the world at sea and have had accurate readings. Most of today’s commercial fish is all weighed at sea and I would imagine that that’s got to be accurate.
    Again from what I have read the lad in question wasn’t shouting for a record, so why all the fuss. Celebrate the fact that a fellow angler has caught a fantastic fish and hope that when you catch one it doesn’t meet with the same suspicion.

20. martin

martin New Member

Would i wind you up [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] congratulations to the true angler