1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

53LB HALIBUT FROM WHITBY

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dan the pollock, May 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

A regular customer in the shop caught and released a 53lb halibut while jigging 5 miles off whitby - A new port record

Ill try and get a picture off him when i next see him

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Anymore informstion dan ?

Name ?
    When ?
    where ?
    what boat ?
    bait ?
    picture ?

3. bucko

bucko New Member

Thats some fish! Surprised the chap returned it though, so tasty!

4. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

its alot of fish to deal with if you cant give it all away or you cant fit it in your freezer

5. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

I would have taken the lot off him!!!

6. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Wow thats a belting fish cant wait to see the pics. Well done that man and respect for returning it.

7. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done that man, really hope you can get some pictures,what a catch.
    also although I would never have realeased it, full respect for the man to excercise his choice in that way, if he didnt want it, why keep it..better than taking it home, not being able to deal with it all and binning it
    top stuff

8. ndskinner

ndskinner Blenny

That fish would of been extremely powerful. Would of like to of seen them throw that back over the side never mind trying to weigh it. I've seen Halibut up to 40lb and you do not want to get near them as their tail is a weapon, it would be like getting hit by Ian Bothams cricket bat. That would of been a very strong fish indeed.

In alaska the captains have been known to shoot the bigger halibut before they get them on board because of the damage they can do to the fishermen and crew.

9. ndskinner

ndskinner Blenny

Case in point check the halibut out in the link below.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14555.0

now that is a 30lb halibut. imagine something very close to twice that size. I'm not calling the angler a liar, i am just trying to figure out how you could way such a fish when it would be flopping about very aggressively with the power to inflict a nasty injury to someone and then lift it (being a very slimly fish to boot) over the side to release it??

10. steerser

steerser Blenny

Seen them regularly upto 10 stone when i worked on the trawlers. We used to gut them alive on deck, certainly lively but i wouldn't say dangerous, unless it was a seriously big fish.

11. ndskinner

ndskinner Blenny

Prety impressive gutting them like that steerser, but how would you ba able to hoist it up in the air to weigh without it not knocking the crap out of you. The tail is so powerful it would knock you down.

12. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Agree with Steerser 100%. When we have had big ones in the nets they were bled and gutted with no more danger than any other big fish and a lot less bother than a half decent conger or wolf so really cant see the charter skipper and angler having too much trouble weighing and returning such a specimen

13. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Who was it dan to catch a fish of that magnitute weigh it and release it to claim it was a port record all in all its a cracking fish.

paul.

14. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Great fish that, well doen to the lad that caught it

15. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

Dosent a fish have to be weighed and verified independently to claim a port record nowadays?

Alan

16. langy

langy Rockling

Well done that man, and well done for returning a great fish-just what i would have done.

Tight Lines..Langy

17. squidward

squidward Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

it was weighed like you do in a festival tail up

paul the man who cought it was from york and he is called rob he has a sea hog i think

18. Tommy

Tommy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sounds like a brilliant fish.
    If the man wants to release it alive then I suppose it’s his prerogative and good of him to practice what he believes with such a specimen of a fish.
    As for claiming a port record has he actually done that? A picture would be nice so that we can all share a bit in his great achievement and am sure it will certainly do Whitby no harm in establishing it’s self as one of the country’s quickly emerging halibut hot spots. Again well done.
    Tommy.

19. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

I am not calling anyone a liar, but I don't beleive it! lol

20. martin

martin New Member

Me
    Friday Night
    Just of Kettleness
    Mine
    Mackeral
    [​IMG]