1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fishing Tackle 525 mag 2 and braid

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by faraday, Apr 13, 2016.

1. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

been using my old 525gs with 50lb braid for nearly a year now and cant see myself going back to mono to be honest... however i have spoilt meself with a new 525 mag 2 and noticed a knurled section on spool centre.

On my old 525gs i put a couple of mm of 18lb mono on first before the braid as usual but do i need to do it with the new mag 2 as it has the knurled grippy bit on the spool centre 525 mag 2.JPG ( i now its narrow like ) ?

2. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just put mono backing on as normal,and fill with braid right to lip as you get more distance, braid tends to drag of the reel rather than spring off like mono

3. faraday

Ok ta, done that last night.
    will have a chuck with it saturday night.

Out of interest - what breaking strain braid you using on your 525 ?
    I am currently using 50lb spectra and have been for the last year with no problems whatsoever, a bit of abrasion now and then from the rocks but found it better than mono myself.

I was thinking of going down to 30lb braid ?

cheers

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  4. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Tried 30lb but broke to easily when snagged up,always broke at the leader knot so upped it to 45 lb power pro which worked a lot better,hooks bent out,still same dia as 15 lbish mono

• Like Like x 1
  5. faraday

better stick to 50lb then, would be pushing me luck i think with 30lb.

I never used a leader, just braid straight through to the rig, i am currently changing me hooks from O'SHAUGHNESSY 6/0 to aberdeen 5/0 as these bend out a lot easier.
    Thanks for the reply and info Jason.