1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50 pound ling at Skarnsundet!!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by skarnsundet, Jun 18, 2011.

1. skarnsundet

skarnsundet Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi everyone

Lastnight my friend and I went to fish for the red bass on a local reef, which I know just 5 min from Skarnsundet! The idea was to fish the last hour of the ebb and fist 2 hours of the flood! Short session but usually does the trick! Gear considred of heavy 30 - 50 pound rod and TLD 2 speed reel, standard deep water gear! I always use a long trace for this type of fishing tippet with a small piece of fish, Bluey in this case!
    Taking it steady!!
    [​IMG]
    The first drop down and we were steadly drifting down the reef from 90m to 140 were the first mud bank starts and I felt a small bite, let it develop abit and hope more red bass came on to the hooks! Then the rod arcked over and I said to my friend, this is no red bass! After a 25 min struggle the monster came to the surface! The fish was in great condition! A great fish to catch but the most intresting part for me was how I caught it, on such small hooks, no attractors, and small baits!! Just shows you never stop learning and thats what I love about fishing!!
    Always a tence moment seting the gaff!
    [​IMG]
    Notice how small the hooks are for the size of the mouth!
    [​IMG]
    What a fantastic fish!
    [​IMG]
    1.5m long!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This fish came from the same mark were I had a 76 pound ling from last year! The fish was not wasted as It fed most of the locals at Skarnsundet!!

Thanks for looking

www.skarnsundet.com

Cheers

Phill

2. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

Well done Phil. Fantastic fish and great pictures thanks for posting

3. Basshunter

Basshunter New Member

Good work. Just need that ling's daddy to swim into Whitby waters next Thursday where I'll be waiting!