1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50 Cod Challenge - Nearly There - Runswick Last Night

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Fishy Rich, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

With a bit of sea running last night I made an attempt to get my last 5 cod for the challenge. I thought with a NW blowing and near on 2m of swell at the bell bouy id seek refuge at runswick, even though the tides were a bit big for my liking down the right hand side.

I walked on just after high water aiming to fish the ravine area, there seemed to be plenty of colour where i was fishing so felt quite positive. i lost my gear first cast, then second cast i got two slack liners so changed to a gripper, third cast weed became a problem, but i felt the tell tale plucking of a bite even though i could feel weed on my line.

I reeled in and could still feel a fish nodding as i wound in, the fish was only 39cm and hooked deep so i kept it. after that it became impossible to fish with the amount of weed floating about.

in my mind i should have gone further right towards hill stones, but went on an epic treck up the LH side i fished a bit of scar while waiting to get onto the sewer hole. the water was clear on this side of the bay. I managed an undersize codling which was lip hooked so it got shot straight back in.

I then moved on tot he sewer pipe, the water was really clear but there was a bit of roll into the hole so went for it, not feeling over confident, first chuck i got one at 36cm, which went back
    [​IMG]

Next chuck i got a stronger bite and after a good account a nice fat cod rolled upto my feet, it was easily around 4lb.
    i lost my gear next cast but it was niggling at me that i was missing better fishing over the other side of the bay, i committed the cardinal sin and walked away from fish, even though it was slow.

i had a steady walk back over the scar on the RH side of the bay for the start of flood, i got a couple of plucky bites but that was it id had enough and wrapped in.
    [​IMG]

I still enjoyed my night and got a few for the challenge, only one more to go now, which i may well get this week, fingers crossed!

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done Rich nearly there mate im sure you'll get it wrapped up this week :)

3. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

Nice one Rich ;)

4. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

never leave fish to find fish

5. bow1

bow1 Rockling

4 for me last night inc 2 around 5lb.best night this year!
    puts me on 24.

6. bow1

bow1 Rockling

[​IMG]