1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 wolf fish caught on Sea Spray

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by seajay, Apr 23, 2009.

Tags:
  1. seajay

seajay New Member

We had 5 wolf fish on sea spray on wednesday the 23rd whilst we drifted over some ruff stuff i
    wonder if the live area specific or something any way to sea 5 of them in the same day let alone a season is amazing .Nutter little john had 3 ,clive had 1 and i also got one 1 . fantastic weather i am a little bit burned from the glare here are some photos of the day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    sorry for cutting your neck john
    [​IMG]
    the inside of the wolf fish was filled with starfish and urchins
    [​IMG]

i'm back out on saturday to try again for the cigar
    regards

Seajay
    Si.

2. go go gadget

go go gadget Rockling

well done si, looks ike a great day

3. Davo

Davo Rockling

Not Whinchurch? Who did he buy the fish off? :laugh:

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

What is that in its stomache ? Is it brittle star fish ?

5. seajay

seajay New Member

yes it was full of them brittle starfish and it had a winkle in it .

regards

Si.

6. fazbats

fazbats Blenny

You certainly manage to get out a lot Seajay,
    (I was out with you last Saturday)
    Good Luck for Saturday Hope you manage the cigar
    Regards
    Carl

7. bucko

bucko New Member

Do wolf fish taste any good?

Those teeth on them look like they could deal with just about anything.

8. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Supposed to be really good eating with nice white flesh,you wouldn't think so though given their good looks.I had one about 5lbs a few year back now and it made mincemeat of a wooden Scarbro' reel I was using at the time when it got its jaws wrapped round it :hurt:

9. kipper

kipper New Member

on the icelandic trawler i worked on in the 60s we caught many of those cat fish-you call them wolf fish- some 5-6 feet long. gutting them was no problem, we would let them bite onto the warps and then gut them. pretty frightening fish though.

10. Davo

Davo Rockling

You worked on an Icelandic trawler Kipper. Did you have any run ins with The Navy during The Cod War, or had you left by then?

11. go go gadget

go go gadget Rockling

nicest fish in the sea ian.

12. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Only ever seen one caught funnily enough by a guy fishing next to me off a boat at whitby. Looked like a right nasty critter. Scored some big points in the compo and are also very nice to eat.
    Mick.

13. Apollo

Apollo Blenny

ma dad had a 20 pounder last year (norway) evul looking thing

14. 70cal

70cal Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done that man,having some good days fishing with mal always seems to get u into the fish. keep it up

70cal

15. kipper

kipper New Member

yes davo, if you fished inside the forty miles limit, it could have been forteen miles, it was such a long time ago, the icelandic gun boat thore would be on you like a ton of bricks. it would confiscate the nets and fine the boat.yes the cod wars were taking place. it was at the time when ross brought in the sturn fishers, changed everything.
    i went back to grimsby's north dock where we sailed from a few years back where the harbour master pointed out the only surviving side fishing boat left and the royal navy had used it to tow out targets. he said it was now destined for scrap.
    fantastic boats the side fisher would ride the waves.

16. Davo

Davo Rockling

Distant memories for you mate, but i cant remember much about the cod war myself, except both sides fought for their fishing future, and what i thought at the time- the stubborness of the Icelanders. It must have been scary at times, as i recall vessels ramming each other, especially the Icelanders doing most of the ramming. Mind you, i could be wrong?

17. ste ryder

ste ryder New Member

Nice one si haven't fished for a few months might have ago this week for a bass.

18. kipper

kipper New Member

yes davo the boats did ramm each other especially with the gun boat- didn't want to be boarded.

it makes me think of today and the fishing quoters would there be a similar confrontation if things got out of hand. we will see.

if i see you on the water on your kayak i will tell you about those times

cheers.
    kim.

19. Davo

Davo Rockling

Aye Kim, i'd look forward to it mate. :yes: