1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3rd Mull of Galloway report

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by congerball, May 29, 2013.

1. congerball

congerball Blenny

Me and my brother Danny went up to the van for the bank holiday weekend. The plan was to go for the Bass and maybe a smoothie. Grabbed some peeler crab from erics then went to Maryport

[​IMG]

Friday evening we walked to a nearby point, we set up to have a go for a smoothie. Baited up and waded out then thumped a crab bait out.

[​IMG]

The next hour produced no bites so we switched to the Bass. Short casts of about 40yards instantly produced the first fish

[​IMG]

This set the tone for the next two evening sessions, lots of bites and drops but ended up with six schoolies in total. Using light carp rods, running ledgers with a 2/0 hook and 3oz bomb did the job. Holding the rod at all times, using braid I could feel every knock.

I don't want to spoil the post but I'm doing all this report on my phone so I'm going to post the rest of the photos now then edit it in the next few days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tightlines

2. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Ben & Danny thanks for posting the pictures and part one of your report shame no hounds showed up maybe next time your up there you`ll get a few might see you up there in july and august as im going on holiday then tightlines Alain

3. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Smashing report lad's nice pick's to go with it,it's nice to see people unafraid to switch tactic's that's what fishing is about,there's seem's to be a growing army of younger angler's that think if you cant hit the horizon you wont catch fish,but in a lot of situations it can have the opposite affect,i also fished for bass in exactly the same way in wales years ago(carp rod with small weight's) to great affect,and also the running ledger probably the least used rig's,yet for me one of.. if not "the" most sensitive rig of all coupled with braid "deadly" at close range :yes:... look's like you had a great time well done.......mick.

4. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

lovely report and pics
    well done place is mecca for me

5. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A really good read and some and nice pics , I totally agree with the comments about forever wanting to put your bait out on the horizon
    it can at times do the biz but plenty of times the fish aren't far out , when Pouncer got his double figure Bass it was less than 10 yards
    from his feet and in very shallow water , just enough to cover its back

6. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

nice one Ben ,good to see the schoolies about ,hope the bigie,s turn up later in the year .

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

That beach looks familiar. Thanks for the report, cant wait to get there in August.

8. deece1981

deece1981 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cracking little weekend Ben. good report and pics.

We did try a few peelers at our first bass mark, just using the plugging rods, but when seeing the birds diving and that schoolie swim past, we both got a bit antsy and switched to lures.... should have maybe stayed on with it. Good work on the fish

Dan

9. congerball

congerball Blenny

Cheers lads. Yes Glen it's the same beach that I bumped into you on.

Considering the conditions....I personally feel it's been a great start to the year, no big fish but plenty of schoolies and loads of Pollock showing can only be a good thing. My brothers back up today for a week so hopeful will hear of more of the same, back up myself a week today for the Pollock and a go for a Tope. Ooooosh

10. MOTLLEY22

MOTLLEY22 New Member

Great read that smallie, no better place to be in the uk when its like that. Early show from the bass hey! all makes for a great summer for you pal Tope ? :pray: Hope to get up soon. Make sure Danny gets plenty of pics this week.
    Mart

11. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Nice report mate, good to see a few schoolies about :happy:

You do get nice Bass at your feet lads but in some situations distance pays. Better to have a good casting technique and not have to use it :wink: