1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

37lb HALIBUT TODAY ON SEA-OTTER 2

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bigcod, Jul 14, 2012.

1. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Well its the same old story after the festival what it could have been miles rudge from cornhill on tweed northumberland got his fish of a lifetime today on sea-otter 2 a cracking halibut weighing in at 37lb miles from start of hooking the fish said this is something special it was peeling line of his reel after a good 15 minuite fight he finally got the fish to the surface it did go mad but myself and my crewman got 2 gaffs into the fish and onto the boat miles was exstactic what a fish he said he is right they dont come that often but when they do its fantastic to see.
    The lads also nailed plenty of good sized cod and ling touching 15lb so all in all the lads had a brillant day.

Miles with his 37lb halibut.

[​IMG]

He also nailed the biggist cod a lovelly fish ouces of 14lb.

[​IMG]

One of the lads with his ling a nice fish.

[​IMG]

Some cod for the lads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

paul.

2. N.INGLIS 28.8

N.INGLIS 28.8 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice to see a fish like that,there must be places to try were they might be on regular basis.

3. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Neil they seem to pop up just anywhere but this fish was caught in roughly the same place as the 50lb er on dave lyths boat 2 years ago i think you need just a tidgey bit of luck on your side.

paul.

4. fishysteve

fishysteve North West Donkers

cracking fish looks like a good day on the other fish to :)

5. Howard

Howard Blenny

Fantastic fishing in what must have been difficult weather well done to all. Back to the halibut Im sure many more are hooked and lost you really need to know what your doing to land a fish like that. How many must have been lost by using gear not up to the job not having drag set?

6. lucy may

lucy may Blenny

Well done that man a cracking fish indeed! I would be interested to know what it was caught on, bait or shads or maybe something else.

cheers

dave

7. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

It was caught on fresh mackeral baited on a cod feather no rules out there .

paul.

8. lucy may

lucy may Blenny

Cheers Paul, your right there. I think bait will always have an advantage though!

cheers

dave

9. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Quite a few have been taken on squid dave its the same old story if your names on it its yours.

paul.

10. woody

woody New Member

well done paul belting fish !!!!

11. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

Well done Paul for finding it, well done to the lad who landed it, good effort

12. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Your right howard over the years many must have been lost due the clutch on reels being tight these fish have tremedous power and when they take off if your reel isnt set your line will go ping i got one which went 12lb a few years ago it took off like a rocket now a 50lb + halibut screaming reels.

paul.

13. Mick Gibson

Mick Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking fish, is there many halibut caught around Whitby ?

14. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Its the 3rd one i know this year the other 2 were 50lb + there must be more of them to come .

paul.

15. simon22

simon22 Rockling

well done that man, would love to catch one

16. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Hi simon i think they are most anglers dream when they come out on my vessel had 1 myself quite a few years ago but there must be quite a lot there coule there be one over 60lb a new port record i dont think is that far away .

paul.

17. bucko

bucko New Member

What is (or has been) found in them when they are gutted?

18. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!