1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

280lb Porgy Today - Mistress

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Fishy Rich, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

Whitby regular, Matt Breen From york had his monthly shark trip booked today, in all honestly, his friends had let him down he'd forgotten the maize and the pilchard oil and to top it off we had no hook baits and the mackerel were not playing ball, to say i was a little un confident is an understatement.

undeterred just the two of us on board we pushed off to the wall, a good 2 and 1/2 hours steam for us. we stopped at a wreck on the way off to see if we could pick a few mackies up, we both ended up with a string or two of coalies so we kept them for hookbaits to get us started.

we got the anchor in fairly prompt on arrival and we dropped back on to a lovely ridge with plenty of fish showing, we managed about 20 mackerel as soon as we stopped enough to make a small chum up and a few live hook baits,
    we got pestered by a seal straight away, he stole hookbaits and a couple of our whitefish too, but didnt re-appear so must of had his fill, I couldnt possibly repeat what we saying about it! :-X

we fished through the tide, taking a few mackerel here and there, i said to matt, we should get a fresh chum set up for the tide easing and check the baits are still alive so we did.

we settled in again and waited, i said to matt last hour coming up mate, he turned round and shouted all excited theres a shark right under the boat, I managed to catch a glimpse of it as it swam past us. I immediately went the closest rod and retrieved some of the line so the bait was only 20 feet under us, i began reeling in the bottom rods i got no more than 20 turns and the reel screamed at us with the first run stripping a good bit of line, as the run slowed, stopped and began we hit the the fish - Fish on! 8)

I was running round like a mad man, getting everything tidied away while matt clung on to his rod.

[​IMG]

everything put away ready i turned to matt he was being led round the boat, backwards and forwards time and again with the fish repeating runs of 40-50 yards at a time. slowly the fish tired and we managed to get a glimpse or two of it, it was a beast! certainly a lot bigger than the one we had last month.

Matt getting the run around!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

finally we got it alongside and under control, with a bit of a tussle we both manged to get it through the gate (just) it was a stocky fish indeed. as we were going for the lift to get it in i slipped and slid underneath its head, i had a glimpse of the the film jaws in my minds eye where flint gets mauled, so was up pretty damn sharpish!

a couple a grunts later she was onboard,

[​IMG]

we unhooked it quickly and took measurement before sliding her into position for a photo, we then slid her back through the gate and she slid away gracefully.

the shark measured 80 inches from nose to fork and 53 inches around the girth, back home we plugged details into the formula where it came out 281lb
    tbh it felt alot bigger when we were getting it onboard!

anyway heres matt with his prize and certainly the best fish weve had on board to date

[​IMG]

2. Mladds

Mladds Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice fish mat, and if I wasn't in Belfast I would have taken you up on your kind invite. Awesome buzz I bet:) next time I'll join you;-)

3. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done the pair of you very nice fish

4. Chris Gibson

Chris Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done matt & rick... Excellent report rich and fantastic picture..... Another big one under your belt rich... Well done

5. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

awesome fish well done lads a real cracker next time someone lets you down gizza ring 07932 394971 id be well up for a trip out live in york also

6. Jmeddy

Jmeddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Belter rich and Matt belter well done lads . From York also and can go at short notice . Would u put a post up rich when your next having a go at them please.

John

7. andym

andym Rockling

Brilliant fishing and top report Rich

8. GJW

GJW Rockling

What a catch... Well done Matt and Rich.

9. wilky

wilky Blenny

Well done Matt - now I know what you were REALLY after when you chucked that big squid out in the uptiding comp.

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Awesome Richy

11. Baramundi Bob

Rich, have you got that last picture in a larger size mate, and can I use it please. Obviously it will be used to advertise your boat.

12. johnny big revs

johnny big revs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

nice one matt well deserved , well done rich . give us a ring matt if your planning another trip please .07932095344 john

13. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Superb fish Matt , well worth all the effort.

He who dares wins !

Well done skipper, another string to your bow ;) ;)

14. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

Hi glenn that last pic is from matt from his i-phone so its the only one of its size, i got one on my camera but all it says is read-error, dunno if my camera is on its way out. you can use any of my photos, no problem.

Thanks everyone, we got some nice fish today too, report will be up later . . .

15. wilky

wilky Blenny

What is port record for Porgy?

16. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

Rich ward has had them over 300lb Mark, he has seen bigger and lost bigger too, Im sure the potential is there for the record to be beaten off our coast

17. Baramundi Bob

Really after some hi res shark pics Rich. Be excellent publicity for you.

18. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Superb achievement. very well done

19. Mick Gibson

Mick Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done chaps, great write up Rich. Didn't see Matt during festival sent you a txt not sure if you changed your number.

20. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

sorry mick, ive not changed my number, but i know matt has! im not brilliant at staying in touch with texts especially if im busy, sorry mate