1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016 lockwood beck

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by mozzer, Mar 8, 2016.

1. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

I had my first outing of the season today,takes a bit to get back in the swing at first but it soon came back, cold s/west wind blowing temps about 4 degrees I started near the lifebelt near the block then to the holly bush, then bottom block and into the little bay not a touch moved onto dam wall and fished into wind bit of a struggle as the wind increased and waves lapped the dam managed to catch 5 in the next couple of hours to about 4lb before wind got unmanageable and home for dinner:)

• Like Like x 1
  2. robmc

robmc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I was there today too mozzer. Struggled all morning, then come half one had a couple from near the lifebelt at the end of the high bank. 7.12lb the biggest weighed back in the lodge. The wind dropped right off after 3, fished the dam wall and had another couple. Lost 4 more. Lad fishing next to me had 19 on intermediate and cut throat cat. Enjoyed it and have just about thawed out.

3. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

Back again yesterday light northerly winds misty most of the day couldnt see the other side of the lake at times, started on the dam wall very slow to start with got my first fish about 11 ish another shortly afterwards then nothing for ages then me and my mate both had a few in a short space of time then they were gone and so were we:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

Back again today, it was stocked on Monday and 1 or 2 had a field day yesterday, catching 20-30 fish each, its always the same You should have been here yesterday, any way started on dam wall, wind coming through gap in car park [northerly] had a couple and the near dinnertime moved round to moorside wind changed to westerly and fish came to the surface taking buzzers, caught a few on shuttlecocks and then they disappeared, moved below block and picked up a couple there :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. robmc

robmc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Sounds like a good day mozzer, nice to hear them being taken off the top. I'm going tomorrow so hopefully it will still be the case

6. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

Sounds like a good day mozzer, nice to hear them being taken off the top. I'm going tomorrow so hopefully it will still be the case
    there was talk of another stocking tomorrow, he has done this before on bank holiday weekends:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

Back again today westerly wind blowing over high bank all day , heavy showers at times and it never really warmed up,stayed on the moorside the wind blowing in your face the fish were under my feet at times, caught on a mixture of shuttlecocks and buzzers

8. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

Light northerlies swung round to sw, fished on moorside, fish are close to the bank taking microscopic black flies emerging, caught one on a size 20 buzzer the rest came to damsels:)

9. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

What is it they say about the wind been in the east? well it certainly was this afternoon it was like the north sea at times, caught a few including a 7 1/2lb er:)

10. SPIKE

SPIKE New Member

Hi I am going to be taking up fly fishing soon and focusing on Lockwood Beck , what rating rod and reel should I go for . Any advice welcome. cheers Spike

11. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

I would buy a rod rated mid- to tip flex in a 7 weight and either 9 foot 6 or 10 foot 4 piece rods are nice and easy to transport tuck them away in the boot no one knows they are there, buy a reel that gives you the option of cheap replacement spools[casette] so you can have a few lines , i get away with a floater most of the season at locky and tend to use the intermediate early on at the start of the season

12. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

Been at lockwood today, fished most of the day on the moorside, the beetles are now hitting the water this can be great sport with a floating foam pattern they only last a couple of weeks usually but sport can be great, twice today i put the rod down and the line shot off they really hit the beetles hard:)

13. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

More northerlies today, but manageable, fish taking buzzers caught several blues taking me well into the backing