1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 freshwater targets?

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by Sambo, Feb 11, 2012.

1. bucko

bucko New Member

Yes, I would rather fish the fly SH- but being an 'Esk rod' the spinning gear is mainly what I catch on.
    I fully intend on giving Wear a better go this season- I have been a member of CLS club before and seen how a 'dead pool' can all of a sudden have hordes of fish entering it. Once saw it happen in bright sunshine and low water- an amazing sight and there were that many that any feature like fallen trees and branches had 10-20 fish under it.
    I didn't get the chance to go out as much as I liked early last season as the wife was recovering from major surgery and if I left her alone she'd have only strained herself- hence I couldn't really enjoy a day away as much.
    However, 2012 saw her starting a new job today and fit as a fiddle so this year is all systems go.
    Might even fish a copper spoon nice and deep and slow on Tees this week.....

2. lochbois

lochbois Guest

My best Wear sea-trout is 13 pound.
    The Wear has some big sea-trout and must be one of the best rivers in the country to get a Personal Best.
    I talked to a friend the other week i was very surprissed that he only caught three fish in 2011.
    That friend caught a 11 pound barbel on a copper spoon from the Wear while fishing for salmon. Ive caught a 5 pound chub on the fly and a nice roach from the Wear.
    The Wear also holds some big Grayling .It really is a mixed fishery.

3. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

try the wear on the free stretch below the ice rink and above kepier.... you definately get 2 out of three i have never targeted perch there ....pre bait a swim up for a few nights then fish it for your chub and barbel........
    the deeper part just before kepier do hold some good pike.... i have seen double figure pike attack chub upto 3lb while they have been retrieved.... ther could be a twenty plus in there.... there are always tales of lads getting pike attack there fish every year... and its always a biggy!!
    good luck
    Paul

4. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i am happy with just 1 salmon at least i have broken my duck :laugh:

5. bucko

bucko New Member

Have they been evading you for a while Peter?
    I must admit, about 50% of mine have been 'accidents' while after sea trout and my first on the fly was when I was fishing for brownies.

6. peter catchpole

no bucko i seem to be a lucky angler .when all around me dont have fish i allways seem to connect , i fish with a superb spey caster yet i allways catch more than him,he seems to allways want his flee in the air but its in the water where the fish are so i swim my flee working it & feeling it so i catch more ,some yrs its double figures in fish but i allways just want to catch that first fish that pull or take you never forget i can remember each & every salmon i caught ,they are a magnificent fish it is a priviledge to catch such a magnicent fish ,believe me i have caught fish all over the world i would swop ten tarpon or bonefish for a fresh run salmon cheers pete

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats some seatrout on the fly lochbois :yes: . infact its a fish of a lifetime . :yes: :yes:
    Yeah totally agree with you there peter the salmon is an awsome fish , i must admit tho i do have a soft spot for the seatrout , which is the fish that got me hooked on chasing probably the hardest fish to catch in my own experiences .

8. peter catchpole

from all my friends country wise they all say the wear is the river to fish for sea trout ,i have fished welsh rivers for years but only caught small fish ,its the same on any river you have to live next to it to take advantage of the conditions to succeed & be able to respond accoringly ,the same can be said for cod or bass fishing inland anglers will allways be at a disadvantage

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah agree there like .
    Altho regarding the wears seatrout according to some of the good local lads ive spoken to the wears seatrout have gone right down the pan . One of the lads i got to know well only manged 4 seatout all season .some of them blamed the shoots up on spennymoor moores , they did explain what the theory was , i think it had somehting to do with them damaging the watertable due to draining vast acres ? ....cant remeber exaclty what it was , but they were adiment . them particular lads had fished it for as long as ive been on this earth .
    I will certainly say the wears not a cert for a seatrout its hard work on fly . i would love to of fished it back in them days . You should give it a go peter ,if you ever do give me a shout and ill have a look up , Bear in mind i dont stay much beyond 1 or 2 am ...

10. coasty

coasty New Member

last year I caught some belting fish and enjoyed the rivers greatly. I really only fly fish and this year my targets are Grayling 2lb and Wild brownie 3lb. With the addition of any fly caught seatrout at all from the local beck. If I finished the year with those fulfuilled I would be a happy man.

I have also have some trips away planned to The Usk ,Monnow and Derbyshire Wye. Looking forward to those ..

Andy

11. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Last season was a non runner for me, but i have learnt over the seasons that we dont get them hot sweaty nights that i catch my sea trout just before the sun is disappering .
    The sea-trout seem to rise for a short time.
    I first thought they were small trout or even grayling until i got a five pound fish.
    If anybody knows me they all know i only use a Bibio or Peter-Ross on my cast 99% of the time.
    I am no expert and will never want to be but i have had 13 sea-trout in my best season ,and i am happy to catch one fish and head for home.I dont like C/R.

12. bucko

bucko New Member

I have fished Teifi, Dovey and Wnion in Wales and like yourself I have had fish but nothing over 2.5lb.
    Our North East fish seem to have a higher average weight and to be honest fish under 3lb are not the norm (well not in my historical catches anyway).
    However Towy, Conwy and Ogmore (to name a few) seem to have some exceptional early season sea trout and I would love to have a go for them.
    In my experience they tend to have similar habits on most rivers where there is a period of activity from dusk into the first hour of darkness then they go quiet for a while but I find this period a good taking time- especially in the places where they will briefly rest while moving from pool to pool.
    Saying that, given the choice of a clear river in darkness or one with colour dropping out at dawn- it would be the latter I would choose every time.

13. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Never answered this yet

Biggest fish I've been told about is 38lb (bullshit) awaiting to see a photo of a 35lb fish (bullshit) seen a photo of a 33lb fish (bullshit) that would'nt weigh 17lb seen numerous photos of 30lb fish that would struggle to make 15lb with 2lb of lead in its mouth

All of the claimed big pike from the Tees are just that (Bullshit) always the same, fish that have been caught by someone on their first piking trip or only been fishing a couple of weeks

Because they are'nt used to seeing big fish they always get it wrong big style, river pike are massivly long and shaped like torpedos so folk tend to overestimate the weight(they never have scales either) they're also deceptively light for their length and thats what gives folk a wrong idea of weight

There was a dead fish weighed that went over 32lb but that one had been dead for some time and was well bloated with water so its true live weight would have been under 28lb or so when it was alive

Someone will crack the 30lb barrier with a genuine weighed and recorded fish but I'm betting when it happens it'll be kept away from the angling press for quite some time for obvious reasons

Theres been a fair few genuine fish over 20lb (and lots of bogus ones) and a lot of fish accurately weighed and recorded in all weights through the twenties to the magic weight of 30lb but out of respect to those that give me the information, thats all I'll say about them

14. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

At the risk of starting a 'heated debate' I have a few points to make.

How can you say a 35lber is bullshit if you haven't even seen the photo?

A lot of assuming going on by the looks of it, how can you know (unless you were there) that all the anglers that claim to of landed a 30lber have no scales and pretty much no prior experience of pike fishing?

I apologise if reading that wrong but does that mean a 30lber has been caught and properly recorded?.

15. brian carragher

At the risk of starting a heated debate why start one unless you're trying to score points, If theres a lot of assumptions Sam then its only by you, try reading all the points that i've posted on this topic so far and then your questions/queries will be answered

As a former RO of the PAC (regional organiser of the Pike Anglers Club) I still have an extensive networking system of phone numbers and pike anglers from all across the North east who we keep in touch with and fish together and we keep records and photos of fish we catch so can tell what the relative growth rates of certain fish are so when someone produces a photo of a fish and claims a weight that is'nt possible to sustain then its right to call it bullshit

This latest claim of a 35lber is bullshit too unless you want to argue differently

16. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Not point scoring Brian, just merely curious.

With the post you made earlier and me not knowing your extenisve network system it was a sensible question, you said you hadn't seen the photo of the said 35lber but already put it down as bullshit. Just wondered how.

How exactly can I argue against the claim that the 35lber is bullshit? I haven't even seen a photo and that's my point! Until I've seen a photo I'd be a bit dubious as well :confused:

17. brian carragher

Without labouring a point Sam, you never will see a picture of this latest 35lber, they never can produce one nor do they ever have any proof that this or others like it were actually caught, this latest 35lber that supposedly came out of the Tees won't be real or perhaps I should say is real but at nowhere near the claimed weight and that photos of this fish have been said can be seen but so far have never been produced

All that happens is that when a real genuine 30lb plus fish comes out, and it will, there will be doubt cast on its authenticity becuase of all the fools who claim new river records for pike

As I've previously posted there has been a real 29lb 15oz fish come out and muggins here actually guided the guy to the spot where it came out of but no proveable 30lb plus fish apart from the one dead one that I've previously mentioned

18. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

My 'once in a life' target for the Tees would be a 25lb+. I'd love to crack it one day. If Brian hasn't cracked it yet in years of piking, it's an extremely difficult aspiration, but i will give it my best. In a year of pretty dedicated river piking (usually once a week until the last couple of months where i've been targeting chub) i've had a relatively poor return. Plenty of singles, only 5 doubles to 17lb and 1 20+ fish. And the 20 was right near the start of my piking days, a complete fluke, and i wish it had come after some effort rather than the start.

I think a 30lber will come one day, but the chances of it being you are slim.

19. dylan2k10

dylan2k10 Guest

i caught this monster on the trent with me dad (100lbs 17 oz
    [​IMG]

20. Davo

Davo Rockling

Cracking fish mate, well done :yes: