1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 freshwater targets?

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by Sambo, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

We've heard what some of our sea fishing targets are for 2012 but what about freshwater?

My main target I guess would be a new pb Perch, would be very pleased with 2.5lb+

After that I'm relaxed about anything else, I'm lucky enough to of landed some nice specimens of various species over the years so I'm at the stage (and have been for a while I guess) where I'm just happy being out fishing though I wouldn't say no to a few more pb's :cheesy:

Here are a few that I wouldn't say no to this year:

10lb+ Bream
    8lb+ Tench
    Any game fish is always a appreciated.

If poss please can we make sure this doesn't turn into a barrage thread :wink:

2. bucko

bucko New Member

Double figure sea trout (I have been stuck on 8.5lb for quite some time)

It would be nice to get a salmon in the 20's but I would just like to 'catch it right' when the grilse are about and get a couple on the 5 weight rod.

Wild brown?? well, 2lb off the river would be nice but I've had my eye on some grown on wild lake browns for some time that are at least 4lb+ so I certainly intend targetting those.

I don't do a lot of coarse fishing but would love to catch conditions right so I could have a crack at the perch with small spinners and plugs as well as having a go for the pike with a surface lure of some description.

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

If you ever fancy a Perch/Pike session on the lures then just give me a shout Ian :yes:

4. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

id really like to go up the tees barage and watch the seals eating all the salmon :blindfold:

5. bucko

bucko New Member

Will do Sam- and I was going to pick your brains (lure-wise) on these browns as I've an idea what they are feeding on- so if you fancy putting it into practice about May time I'll give you a shout.
    Not going to publicise where they are as they are 'one off' fish that once they are gone it will take a hell of a long time for another to take their place.

Dan- get down there with a two foot long Storm Shad in 'Grilse' colouring- just make sure that drag is set!

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Sounds good Ian, I'd be well up for that. I've got sooo many ultralights for Perch & Trout that I'm sure I can find some suitable :yes:

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

Double figure seatrout and a 20lb plus salmon will do me just fine ...If any of yous lads can get on the river leven downstream from leven bridge youd have a very good chance of a 2lb plus perch and plenty of pike . .....They love them mepps comets down there ...

8. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I want to try for some of the larger brown trout that i have been told are down the bottom end of Balderhead reservoir in Teesdale.
    I bought myself a nice Daiwa Wilderness fly /spin rod .
    I have never caught a wild brown trout on a spinner ,so that would be a good target for me in 2012.
    When i was younger i used to like the small metal devon minnows that Bells Sportshop in Stockton used to stock. Ive seen them on E-Bay, ive also made my own quill minnows which are recommended.
    Roll on March 22 nd and a warm cloudy day with fish showing everywhere then i will use the fly. :happy:

9. Davo

Davo Rockling

I would love to catch a 2lb roach, rudd and a 3lb perch, so i better start giving the Tees some stick, especially for the perch. Does anyone know of any stillwaters that hold big roach and rudd?

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah ive heard the tees throws some good perch out , i have fished for them abit mesell but never had anything to write home about , i bet theres some monsters , if you can find them . best quality perch fishing ide ever had was on the lower leven as evening set in , it was awsome watching them good perch hammering minnows .Me and a mate even trolled it a couple of times on his boat had some cracking sessions trolling raps .
    Pete are these the minnows you mention . .

[​IMG]

11. lochbois

lochbois Guest

They look like the Devons.
    They were about an inch.
    Brown and Blue and Silver were the colours.
    I was at school then and i am 56 now.
    I started my stillwater fishing up at Cow Green but then you could only use worm and fly. Always wanted to try spinner.
    I worm fished in those days ,then i got myself a fly rod and became a serious flyfisher.
    When you lads talk about Roach and Perch,i caught my biggest roach from Billingham Beck and i have caught a few perch while fishing for trout from Billingham Beck.
    Ive always wanted to fish the lakes in Wynard Hall but never had the chance.
    Most of the course fish that i catch on the beck are washed from the lakes in he park.

12. mattiethomp

mattiethomp skinnygrove back alley shin kickers

Got to be a 20lb river pike, upto 14lb 4oz and had 2 5lb chub with my PBS at 5lb 13oz on a 10" lamprey wen picking on the Swale so far this year so fingers xed!!!!!! :yes: :yes:

13. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'm after a 5lb chub, 2lb perch, and 8lb+ barbel. I reckon i'm unlikely to up my river pike pb of 22lb, but if i could get another 20 that would be a massive bonus. I'm trying a stretch at the moment that has recently produced a 27lb :wink:

14. Davo

Davo Rockling

Will be giving Stockton's stretch a go for the pike this year, and possibly Croft.

15. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Only one target this year , same as its been for the last 20years or more, and thats to catch a genuine Tees 30 pike. So far no ones done it and I'd like to be the first

That 27 sounds like an interesting fish

16. bucko

bucko New Member

Whats the biggest you (or anyone else) have heard of being caught on Tees?
    No doubt there will have been sightings and 'ones that got away'.

17. jimlad

It's not a Tees fish Brian - there's a clue :wink:. But it came out a fortnight ago at 27, and with the pre-spring feed ongoing, you just never know!

I've heard about Tees 30's on the 'grapevine' but i take them with a pinch of salt. I've not seen a photo.

The biggest i have heard about and seen a pic of from the Tees is also a 27, taken last year. I didnt witness it, but the photo seemed to match the claim.

Whats th biggest you have caught Brian?

18. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The biggest Tees fish I've had is 24lb 8oz

The biggest genuine weighed fish I know of is 29lb 15oz, weighed on 3 different sets of Avon scales all reading the same, if it had'nt spat the bait out it would have gone 30

19. jimlad

Cracking fish on both fronts!

20. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Well a first match win, 50lb bag. Then a double figure bream, also one of the double figure tench from the mere.