1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2009 - An Anglers Year - kayak, Shore, Boat

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Nov 23, 2009.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Re: WITH THE NEW YEAR NEARLY UP ON US, TELL US YOUR BEST FSHING MOMENTS OF 2009.

Yes Kev, well done on your PB cod for me thats what fishings all about getting out and meeting some great people all who have the same enthusiasm for fishing that you have, and sharing them special moments...... Priceless!

2. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Re: WITH THE NEW YEAR NEARLY UP ON US, TELL US YOUR BEST FSHING MOMENTS OF 2009.

Very true mate :yes:

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

My 2009 has been a great year........a fair few cod in the start last winter,then summer fishing was a great mix of species.....still haven t got my head into the bass fishing....maybe next year.
    The highlights have been many....some great memories of Scotland with me good mate Rob and then the jelly family trip to Wales.....but if I had to choose one moment from the many this year it would be fishing Bemmo tops with Rob and the game we had getting the red cod that went just short of 6lb up the cliff.....what a sight the pair of trying handball it up.......still makes me smile at the sight we must have been.

For me my fishing isn't just about numbers or size of fish.... but it is about the memories of the days out shared with friends and family.

All the best for the next few days of this year and hope next year has some great moments .

Cheers Jellyworm.

4. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

easily the best moment of a poor season for me was my first plug caught bass. i was heading for my sixth sucessive blank on the trot on my maiden bass plugging season. i'd been thrashing away for an hour without a sniff of a take when a bass hit my plug.i don't know who was more shocked -me or the bass and they went mad for an hour. it was like mackerel fishing.i ended catching 17 the biggest of which was the first at 2llb 12oz and the smallest was about twice the size of the plug. -kept the first one and safely returned the rest . a big thanks to garry on this one. if it wasn't for his advice on plugs . tactics' and times i might still be waiting for my first plug caught bass - p.s two thirds of the bass were in total darkness

5. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A cracking session dave , you will have to give me some tips on where the cod are :wink: :wink:

6. joe123lumbo

joe123lumbo Blenny

Sadly i havent got any stories of double figure cod to tell yet, but my best fshing experience this year was taking my girlfirend down the gare and see her pull in a full house off her 3rd cast wasnt half funny to see the panic in her face :laugh:, ohh and also goin down boulby ropes was an experience too, hopefully the new year will bring me and lee a fish or two :)

Joe

7. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I am sure it wont be long before you get among the fish Joe,youthfull exuberance will see to that :wink:

8. bucko

bucko New Member

Not had that good a year on the rivers and stillwaters (apart from my first double figure rainbow trout) but the sea fishing has been brilliant over the Summer with some nice lure caught bass and pollock for me.
    Finally getting out on the boats has been great too with ling, pollock, codling, gurnard and pouting all making the day out a lively one. Seeing this bad boy up close was awesome too.
    [​IMG]

Maybe its coming from a fly fishing background but the most exciting fishing moment of the year for me has to be the night I was out and the bass were really on the poppers and after getting a 3.5lb one second cast they continued to swirl and slash at the chug bug in sometimes no more than 10 inch of water- brilliant fishing.
    As October arrived Autumn saw me land the catch of my life in the form of my wonderful wife and even that day had an angling element with the Evening Gazette printing an article on the double figure trout I caught at Lockwood the week before.
    So now we move into Winter and with only 5 days work left and northerlies forecast and a freezer full of bait I hope to report back with some decent cod catches as that would round off a great year in style.

9. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

this might sound daft but so far the highlight of 2009 is actually losing a very large cod about 4ft long and a gob about the size of a 5 litre paint tin..... it happened to me at to the right of the decent at ravenscar.. the lady green decent i think its called.. was fishing with my mate and i had a tiny knock then nothing after about another 10 minutes or so off nothing i decided to reel in and re bait but was snagged .... on snapping the rotten bottom it still felt heavy and then it started to come .... a steady bump as i felt it shake its head... it seemed to take forever to get it up off the bottom then it started to kite even further right... i scrambled as best i could across the rocks with my mate following and making his way closer to the waters edge looking for a spot to get close enough to grab it safely ..
    the sea was pretty flat with only a small swell ... it finally surfaced ... it was a monster.. then it shook its head and my hook came out... but it floated a good 15 to 20 seconds... we both just stared .... i didnt know what to do .. my mate turned to me and just looked with his gob open... nowt was said i just sat down holding my rod.. ..he just pointed to the swirl in the water...
    next time ... things might be different... but one thing is certain i will never forget it .. what a feeling.. my heart was racing ... my hands were shaking and i didnt even land it..
    funny isnt it ...... actually losing a probable fish of a life time is the highlight of 2009 for me ... well actually the highlight of my sea fishing escapades since i started..
    cheers
    Paul

10. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

ouote from big cliff (a cracking session there dave. you'll have to tell me where the cod are) if you take notice of my tips on where to catch a cod .all iwould say is you'd be better off going to the pub

11. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

It's been a good year for me no monster fish and didn't get out as much as i would have liked but had a few fish and had some fun days out with good friends.As Gary has said the bass fishing in Scotland was very good and it was a hell of a weekend.But it was also my first year in my kayak and loved it once i got over my sea sickness :vomit:.Took a few trips to get my first cod under my belt but after that think we only had one blank so hope to get out in it a lot more next year.So no huge fish pictures but been very happy with my year anyway. Keith[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Though I didn't manage anywhere near as much fishing time as I would have liked 2009 has had some great moments for me.20 plus bass in an evening all on surface plugs was amazing,catching a near 9lb PB pollack on light spinning gear a few hundred yards off Redcar with Mr Carragher confirming the huge potential off our local shore was another

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10944.msg99460#msg99460

But the highlight has to be the Norway trip where I managed to help get the three lads who travelled with me their PB cod,haddock and a few other bonus species the smiles on their faces said it all

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10639.msg94124#msg94124

It brings back lots of good memories and whets the appetite for a return trip.

2010 will see a return trip to the Mull with Bigcliff,GJW and crew for a crack at Harry's record,hopefully a return trip to Jersey to see Mrfish and the Jersey lads and definately more time looking for them big pollack close to home :wink: :wink:

13. joe123lumbo

joe123lumbo Blenny

aye harry it'll come im not impatient and can take the blanks on the chin :)ill have to ask me girlfriend for a few tips hahah. sad to put the saltburn open on hold due to it being my 18th parrty this saturday so darent brave a day of fishing on the sunday, hope you lads get me a gooden if your fishing it :)

Joe

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

i allso got a 18th birthday to attend on friday joe ,no doubt the kids will see me off :embarrass: dont think i can make saltburn either :sad:

15. LERCH

LERCH Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The best moment this year is getting 2 fish for 11lb and watching Dale(snap off) get his pb of 8lb 4oz for hillstones. It stands out because it rained alnight and my fish where atfer i had walked from the rocks to the left of runswick all the way to hillstone.

Russell

16. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

17. MFC

MFC Blenny

with fish had to find this year my best moment was to get 2nd and 3rd in the John Smiths Open with 2 fish 6-2 and 5-13 i was chuffed as punch

18. GJW

GJW Rockling

Of course Glenn, and sorry Ken didnt realise there was also a similar topic i was on holiday at the time so missed it... :embarrass:

19. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

no worries mate. Makes sense to make 2 great topics into one so that people can read it all in one place in the future.

20. joe123lumbo

joe123lumbo Blenny

Hahha well u would see me off ,still got a kids belly lol , aye its a shame really cause I was looking forward to fishing another open but cant get out of me own party lol