1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2009 - An Anglers Year - kayak, Shore, Boat

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Nov 23, 2009.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

A brillaint read Dan and Ben and what a brilliant first year yak fishing you've had, as we all know, put the effort in and you get the rewards, and you've certainly done that...well done guys...

Ken

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Dan had an amazing year too, didnt he. Ive really enjoyed spending time with the 2 youngsters this year and they have really open my eyes. The thing with these 2 is they operate on a philosophy that there is no rule book. Dan was the first person to ever target the pollack off the piers with jellyworms and he was rewarded with a dream fish. People had fished those piers for years and never realised what was right in front of them with a change of tactics.. Not happy with that Dan and Damo went bass plugging in thick brown water and both caught personal best fish. But perhaps the best nights were in the late summer when we spent many an evening plugging into dark with bass and pollack splashing all around in a feeding frenzy. That was very special and I dont think many other people in the Whitby area have witnessed a sight like that night.

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Aye, great reports Dan & Ben. Ben has obviously done rather well with the Cod this year with a few doubles to his name (jammy sod!), Dan and Demo have really done well on the Bass & Pollock side of things. That big Pollock you had Dan was a beauty.

Myself and Ben had a session near Whitby east where the Pollock were everywhere, the whole shoal would hit the bait fish at the same time creating quite a sight. Like you said Glenn it is quite something to witness.

4. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

ill never forget that night when the water was erupting around us, and with all the phosphorus in the water. its one of those times no matter how well you try to explain it, it was one of those... ' you had to be there' moments

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Its like a state of euphoria isn't it Dan, closest I got to a moment like that was out in the Sound of Jura last spring, the sky was blue from horizon to horizon, the sea was like glass and deep blue, the silence was deafening, it was an amazing moment :happy:

6. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Fantastic thread. Makes me realise I've focused far too much on the bass this year. All very well getting my PB at 7lb, but I'll try something different next year. I like the idea of float fishing with live bait. Might make that my target for next summer. Roll on blue skies and clear water!

7. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

or not so clear water :educated: :wink:

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

Great thread , and What a great year you guys have had , Brilliant pics and well written everyone ...Cheers

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

One of the best threads we've had on here. It's unbelievable how the yakking has come on in such a short space of time, but the standard of angling right through the board is exceptional, well done everyone.

10. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Aye, so you keep telling me! :wink:

11. GJW

GJW Rockling

WITH THE NEW YEAR NEARLY UP ON US, TELL US YOUR BEST FSHING MOMENTS OF 2009.

Well i will start the ball rolling please add some pic's as well if possible its always nice to see some fishy pic's..

A few of my best moments of 2009.

Catching my 11th double figure cod from the shore in november at 10lb 5oz

[​IMG]

Watching my good mates Martin and Matty come 1st and 3rd In the North of England Cod Championships unfortunately i only managed 7th but it was a very difficult day.. :embarrass: :embarrass: :whistle:

Martin with his winners trophy... :happy:

[​IMG]

Matty in all his glory..

[​IMG]

Mattys first trip to the Mull with us was a special one i really enjoyed watching Matty catching his PB Bass on lure and a PB Pollack, and loseing a fish which to be honest i have never witnessed a fish so strong and powerful in my life it was a real beast of a fish (probably a huge conger).

[​IMG]

Taking young forum member brocky on a trip to the Mull with us and helping him to catch his first pollack and a new PB bass.

[​IMG]

Having at trip to Scotland with forum members Speno, Lavo and Garrens and all of them getting PB Bass on lures.

Garrens
    [​IMG]

Lavo (Anth)
    [​IMG]

Speno
    [​IMG]

But the number 1 spot for me is watching my good mate harrycod catch a lure caught bass of 13lb 1oz

[​IMG]

Priceless... :yes: :yes:

And people say to me fishing dont you ever get bored.... :no: :no: how could you possibly get bored..

Hope 2010 is just as good.

So come on tell us your best moments of 2009.

Tightlines
    Gary

12. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Re: WITH THE NEW YEAR NEARLY UP ON US, TELL US YOUR BEST FSHING MOMENTS OF 2009.

My best moment, have been up in gods country { scotland } fishing up the MULL OF GALLOWAY and ARBROATH seeing the looks on the new
    recruits faces has made my day , my year for me :yes: :yes: :yes:

13. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Re: WITH THE NEW YEAR NEARLY UP ON US, TELL US YOUR BEST FSHING MOMENTS OF 2009.

Wow Gary, thats a fantastic year mate :yes: ...........

Nothing as grand for me Gary...........But this year has been the most enjoyable Ive ever had, the catches may not have been spectacular but the different venues i have fished have certainly helped to make it a memorable one, as have the people i have met along the way who share the same passion for sea fishing as i do....

No.1 has to be the discovery of summer codding from the shore, even tho i only managed arf a dozen fish it was fantastic. Snook these out on my 2nd visit to Flambra in June.......

[​IMG]

No. 2 is my PB bag caught from Dimmo in late Jan, I'd actually dug some bait on Spurn and was heading upto Aldbrough but called in to have a look at the sea, the beach wa completly empty and looked perfect, I managed these 7 for just short of 24lb................

[​IMG]

I am really looking forward to 2010 from the end of the winter fishing, to the spring when I'll be crabbing, through the summer cod fishing and then its the new season again...........

JUST COULD DO WITH LIVING NEARER THE SEA!!!!!!!!!!

14. GJW

GJW Rockling

Great stuff Mark, you do extremely well considering you live so far away from the sea, I agree the people i have met through the forum like yourself and quint and others have all helped make it a great 2009 for me..

Tightlines

15. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well it has been a great year so far,even though the fish were sometimes difficult to locate,we managed to bag a few ,takeing ducky and his pals to kettleness,and sandsend cliffs ,even though the fish were scarce we had a good crack,
    [​IMG]
    little cod was pleased as punch with a few coalies
    [​IMG]
    then taking willybendit and his mate rich deadlyfish for a session to cowbar ,agaian the fish were scarce, but we had a good laugh,then my first bass of the year not big but it showed they were on the way
    [​IMG]
    then my trip to the Mull of gallaway,the best fishing areain the country,catching bass and pollack on lures, and seeing matty get his pb bass and pollack, and allso loosing a big big fish of some sort ,that we never got to see :surprise:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then there was garry showing us around the new marks he had discovered ,and that was where i got my fish of a lifetime 13lb 1oz
    [​IMG]
    then my trip to Arbroath with terry and Alan,that was a right laugh a minuet, terry with his best
    [​IMG]
    Alan with his [​IMG]
    there were so many more as well ,like getting my old quatra match re-built, and making new friends on the forum,and reading the posts from all forum members ,yes it hasnt been to bad realy :wink:

16. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

mine has got 2 be my first cliff top cod and pb 6lb 2oz a was fishing along side bmb glen and he helped me land my pb cod a was chuffed t bits [​IMG]

17. brocky

brocky Hot Rod !!!

well i've got to say its nout compared to all yr storys :canadian: but my best things that have ever happened to me is that i met some cracking people like matty, gaz, alan, harry, dav, martin and john. These people have really made my year i.e. the mull, new interesting marks, not only that but the banter does it for me :yes: i've just got to say thanks to everyone for helping me on my way and carn't wait till 2010 on the bass quest with garry and dav haha :yes: Ohh and The Mull i think harry will be watching his back on the late night bass quests :laugh:

TIGHTLINES

cheers lee

18. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah some cracking pics there boys , keep up the good work .....
    I carnt think of any specific moments of 2009 other than the usual stuff of fishing in good company with a good set of lads fishing new stunning ground with plugs trying to work out our freind the bass and also mangeing some cracking fishing up the mull courtesy of the crew ......I must say im already looking forward to doing a lot of bassing come summer , this year i just couldnt seem to get fully focused on job in hand early on , maybe down to collecting bait and worrying about this winter which hasnt turned out to be much good for me , I think ive been pleasure fishing 4 times this winter so far :surprise:.......Hopefully next week might turn up my highest point of 2009 when i bag that flippin big pig that has my name on it ......Keep up the good work lads ......

19. Maxie

Maxie New Member

Heres some of mine after a long miserable summer which i gave up on the bass fishing locally i went up to scotland for a smoothhound session,had nout until two hours before high water then it went nuts,i think i had 15,missed a fair few and had a couple of bass and dogs as well.No big fish but up to six or seven pounds and a great nights fishing.No pics as i had no time to take any.
    Next was a huss session in ireland,it was blowing a gale right in our faces and horizontal rain,i think wed have left for an early night but one of the lads is super keen and would fish 24/7.Anyways after a couple of blank hours they turned up in force and we had a great nights fishing with fish to 9lb.You can see the conditions on this pic.
    [​IMG]
    Ive had some not too bad cod sessions so far this year and had a good night at arbroath with my first double
    [​IMG]
    Then on the sunday i fished a match in a gale where it was unfishable for three hours but the hour down to low was fishable for me and i cleaned up with my best cod round cumbria of six six and heaviest bag as well[​IMG]

20. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

May be jumping on the bandwagon a bit lol but I've gotta say that meeting some good lads from the site has given me some very enjoyable fishing this year, even though the fishing wasn't always spectacular.

Last night's pb Cod is still fresh in the memory and I don't think I have spontaneously sprung profanities from my mouth at the sight of a fish this year other than that.

Aidy's first Cod at Easington in February was priceless. The look on his face when he couldn't find anywhere to put his sarnie while his rod was banging away. Also how chuffed he was when catching the fish.

The session at Kettleness with Harry and the lads was a great day out.

Really enjoyed reading other people's favourite moments. Some great achievements there lads