1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2009 - An Anglers Year - kayak, Shore, Boat

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Nov 23, 2009.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Phew, what a year? I'm still not sure how I managed to get all those days fishing in but I’m quite chuffed with 2009, its been a busy year and this time i have kept a diary of all my launches, think we are up to 72 at the last count, no wonder I'm so poor, most of those days I should have been working - making up for it now though. Having just seen a fantastic post Dave (Jellyworm) has put together on the Holderness site I thought I'ld try the same on here - come on Dave get that post on here, its absolutely brilliant. I really must be very greatful to a handful of people on this forum who have really given me some great advice and lead me to a lot,if not most of these catches - you know who you are. Anyway here it is...

January and February saw just a little bit of paddling – up the Esk and around Flamborough.

March saw us uptiding under Bempton with reasonable success.

[​IMG]

using cart and lug baits

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

March was a great month and started with a bit of white water paddling up on the Ure at Slenningford Water Mill in Yorks

[​IMG]

Then onto sunny Scotland for the skate

[​IMG]

and the odd thornie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back home and it was my first tentative paddle around the back of the Brigg …. No fish to be had around there, but dabs in the bay

[​IMG]

April saw us back up and down the Yorkshire coast uptiding again…

Whiting

[​IMG]

pouting

[​IMG]

wrasse

[​IMG]

cod…

[​IMG]

and the odd micro ling

[​IMG]

Mid April saw us back up to Scotland for some amazing common skate fishing

[​IMG]

Memories to last a life time

[​IMG]

Last weekend in April saw the Yorkshire safety training course

[​IMG]

and just a little bit of fishing, had my first plaice while drifting and using baited spoons.

[​IMG]

Beginning of April saw more uptiding at our favourite marks around north Yorkshire

[​IMG]

May saw me spending some time on a tidal creek stuffed full of bass and mullet, could I catch them? Could I naff…

[​IMG]

The last week in May and the waters started to clear out up here, lead heads and jigheads now the order of the day, plenty of pollock and coalies starting to show

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

May also saw me having a few longer paddles in the sink.

[​IMG]

Beginning of June saw me with a new ride – took a little bit of getting use too but a good move and a pb cod of just over 10lb to leads and shads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was a quick shoot of to the Mull of Galloway for Sharkatag, what an amazing area and a brilliant weekend…

A few small tope, nothing very big for me…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and my first ever haddock

[​IMG]

Back home and the bass had started to show, nothing big..

[​IMG]

and a few cod to leadheads

[​IMG]

We had a league running up this way so it was now all out for as many different species as poss….

Garfish

[​IMG]

and more bass

[​IMG]

Beginning of July was the Filey Kayak Match, great fun and some intensive launches,

Benq kicked all our arses, best I could do was 4th with an 8lb er.

[​IMG]

Last weekend in July so a few of us shooting down to south Cornwall in search of porgies – the less said about that the better – I was sooo ill…

[​IMG]

Back home and a chill out on the local river for pike and perch, great fun..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to the serious stuff and tope fishing off Holderness again, useless Greys traces saw me lose two nice fish by the side of the yak, shall not be using them again…
    Best I could do was a small one, seems to be the season of small tope for me.

[​IMG]

Anyway bait was hard to find this year but not impossible..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The odd grunting gurnard thrown in too while bait collecting

[​IMG]

We heard the thornies were in up in Filey bay, launched with Spawney and we both had some nice fish

[​IMG]

Beginning of August saw us out jigging for launce to use as bait for pollock and bass, plenty to be had over the sands a mile out in the bay.

[​IMG]

and a few unwelcome catches..

[​IMG]

Back inshore and my first ever bass on a float – great fun

[​IMG]

Bad weather back on the coast so another couple of attempts for the mullet up the creek..

[​IMG]

Nope, still cannot connect with one…

Had fun with the local flounder though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit of better weather saw us fishing for the pollock around Scarbough with reasonable results but heavy tackle losses..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The end of August and desperate for more league points meant evening launches into the tidal Esk for, believe it or not..eels

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then after a few hours sleep in the van back out again for more plaice out on the sands…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To gain further points one of the challenged was to free line baits, back out for more launce and in again freelining them for whatever would have a go..

1st off a pollock

[​IMG]

and then a pb bass of 3lb plus

[​IMG]

Another lauch up the creek – can I heck as hell tempt these mullet – how frustrating…

[​IMG]

Early September saw a group of us up to the Isle of Skye, what a beautiful place.. and a bit of yakking tuition from Gordon Brown..

[​IMG]

and a bit of arsing around too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back home and another launch for the pollock near Scarborough, nothing very big but great fun

[​IMG]

and a pollock on a float

[​IMG]

and then on a fly – ok not very big but plenty of points

[​IMG]

End of September saw the Scarborough kayak match, how can we be so lucky with the weather? Managed a few pollock short of 6lb to give me 4th place, have to thank Neil for that though…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next day saw sitting in on the safety course and assisting were I could with Simon, great fun and fantastic to see people gaining so much confidence in so little time and a few quid for the RNLI

[​IMG]

Back to the fishing and just a few more points to secure victory, I needed a bass on the fly, fortunately it came quite easily once the bass had been located..

[​IMG]

Just time for one more launch on the final day of the league, I had it in my my mind what I needed so launched in the sheltered Filey Bay as there was a big northerly blowing, on with a float and within an hour or so had my quary – a coalie on a float.

[​IMG]

Just a small one but more league points.

League over and back to pleasing ourselves, a quick launch out from Burniston and 2 miles out to a wreck, took a bit of finding but once located it was pretty good pickings, plenty of cod and ling up to 7lb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both Spawney and myself recently bought true sea kayaks, this bug has really bitten hard so when its to rough for fishing these little toys come out to play

[​IMG]

If you’ve got this far, thanks for reading, been a great season – if just a little intense.

Ken

2. bigcod31

bigcod31 Peter Mcfarlane kaskazi dorado

Re: A Kayak Anglers Year - 2009

Looks like a good all round year Ken! Hope you have an even better one next. :happy:

3. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

Crikey Ken, 72 times.... I'd be over the moon with 10% of that.

Looks like you had a good time though and thanks for sharing it.

Ian.

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Nice one Ken. It really is a coincidence. I am working on a major site upgrade (Probably not ready untill the new year) to bring every part of the site under 1 theme. Ive just been importing all the kayak reports and was thinking about what a great summer we all had. Just been looking at some of yours and Daves reports to the forum and of course the stuff niel contributed was amazing too. I wa just looking at niels sw ireland post

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/kayak-fishing/kayak-fishing-iveragh-peninsula-sw-ireland/

and then I clicked on here and saw yours and it brought back all the memories for me. You know there were a few people who moaned about all the kayak posts, but after the crap cod season were having I really am now wishing it was May and I was paddling out of Skinnigrove once more.

Great post mate and its cheered me up on a depressing night of looking at south westerly winds on the weather forecast.

5. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Nice one ken nice to see your old /my new 4.5 doing the buisness

6. Baramundi Bob

7. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

What a superb diary of your years yakking Ken and thanks for taking the time to compile an excellent report.Hopefully you will get chance to add to your up-tiding total this winter and who knows maybe that new PB your efforts deserve.

8. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

great report Ken, 72 launches, wow!!

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Thanks guys, and thank you Glenn. It has been a wonderful year, I firmly believe life is for living but I'm not sure I will ever get another year of 'living' like that. Having a dear friend like Spawney who drags you out at every opportunity helps and of course a lovely understanding wife comes in handy too. The league really gave me some incentive too.

Unfortunately November has been a total waste of time for both the kayaks and the shore anglers (with just a few exceptions and exceptional catches), the Whitby charters have found some nice fish when they've managed to get out.

At this moment in time I would be happy with a settled day so we could get out on the yaks and swing a few cod in. Has anyone had a cod this month? The kayak cod prize is still up for grabs..

Ken

10. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

think Ive got the only one at 4lb so far Ken, , just 1 settled day and im sure someone will better it!

11. newdave

newdave Guest

well done mate, nice post. supose i had better start logging this year :whatever:

12. Baramundi Bob

Hi Dave,

would you possibly do us an overall one for all of us like you did last year. Maybe to post up for the new year.

Also when I satrt the new site I would really like some of the hard core posters to take up a user account and write for the site please.

13. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report and photos.......72 launches.....that's great yakking. Thanks for taking the time to put up the photos Ken.
    Regards Ian.

14. Baramundi Bob

Well here some of mine then.

Early April

22lb cod on Sea Otter 2

[​IMG]

Pictures taken whilst helping out at the spring angling festival

[​IMG]

Early May - Jigging At Skinnigrove. Best day for me was 13 cod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kayak safety Day At Runswick

[​IMG]

Ducky Jumps

[​IMG]

Kens Under

[​IMG]

Mick Brings Sea Urchin 2 to Whitby

[​IMG]

Mad Yachters at Runswick

[​IMG]

Jay wins the juniors event in the RNLI boat match

[​IMG]

June - No bass yet but what a night

[​IMG]

June - My 10 pounder wins the sweep in the whitby forum boat trip - sea otter 2

[​IMG]

Would you buy a second hand car from these 2 ?

[​IMG]

Dolphins at Kettleness - One of many highlights

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robin Hoods Bay in June - Lots of cod this day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helping out at the summer boat festival - Jake Sixsmiths cod

[​IMG]

An early bass session on a grey day

[​IMG]

Bassing with Mike Dan and Damo. I had my PB this day at just under 5lb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

July saw us at the Filey Kayak Match - who would believe I got a 10lber and only got 3rd

[​IMG]

Dan and Damo the gruesome 2some

[​IMG]

Southern Softies match at Scarborough

[​IMG]

Plaice At Sandsend

[​IMG]

Nice Bass ANd Pollack

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bassing At Sandsend

[​IMG]

Housemartins At Hawsker

[​IMG]

More Bassing - Its now august

[​IMG]

Recce At Hawsker

[​IMG]

More Bassing

[​IMG]

Float fishing with Dave

[​IMG]

Plaice At Sandsend

[​IMG]

Scarborough Kayak Match

[​IMG]

Pollack and Bass on live sandeel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

October shore fishing

cod from Sandsend

[​IMG]

Cod from RHB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cod from Goldsborough

[​IMG]

November Uptiding with Lawsey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Is the 'new' site going to be a merge of the Holderness site and the Whitby site Glenn ? Or just a the Whitby site re-born ?

16. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Some cracking pics there Glenn..........the one I love is "Bassing at Sandsend"........will that lad ever grow into those Oceans....I look at that pic and everytime chuckle at those clowns pants :canadian: :canadian: :canadian:

17. Baramundi Bob

:laugh: :laugh: Its damos girlfriend.

[​IMG]

18. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Quality pictures Glenn, that was one hell of a huge pollock you had there mate, in my mind one of the best kayak caught fish from this region.

Ken

19. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

What a report! Made for a good read, you have really put the effort in this year Ken (same can be said for Glenn and Spawney as well). You obviously landed some nice fish (big and small) and tried lots of new methods so you have had a very rewarding year, well done mate :cool:

Think I'll have to dig out photos of my year's fishing as well :happy:

20. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

:surprise: :surprise: :embarrass: :embarrass: :embarrass:
    Good lad damo...show a girl a good time.........I ve promised Kim if she s good all week she can get up at 5am on Saturday to come help dig worm for the DAIWA MATCH on Sunday........she s been good as gold so far :wink: :wink: