1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catch Report 1st trip of the season 08/10/15 Bemmo

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Mark Gelder, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Winter Cod Fishing At Bempton Cliffs

[​IMG]

Having not fished a great deal over last few years i am determined to get as often as possible this winter, and if yesterdays session is anything to go by we're in for a cracker.

Conditions looked ideal for Bemmo yesterday with the dying swell and more importantly wind swinging into the right direction and reducing to next to nothing.

I arrived in the car park with around 4 or 5 cars already parked up, around 6.20pm, i'd already decided that if there was colour i'd head away from the crowds and fish over the shallower kelpier ground over low then move back to bird sanctuary the last 3hrs of flood.

Sure enough the sea had colour and a lovely dying swell. After a good 25 mins walk i was perched exactly where i wanted to be and cast out around 6.55 as the light faded.

After around 15mins i was getting lots of little pulls, which you often get over the kelpier ground, before i got enough of a bite to strike, 2 mins later cod number 1 was on the bank, a nice start, weighed 2.75lb.

The next 4 casts were unreal, the cod were on my peeler/sloppy cart in a flash, over the next hour i hooked 4 and landed 2, they were like peas in a pod, 4.25lb and 4.5lb. The 2 i lost were also good fish, 1 slipped the hook as i began the lift, the other slipped the hook mid cliff.

It went very quiet 1st hour of flood which happened the last time i fished this mark so i moved around 250yds north. It was now 10ish, the next was frantic. 1st cast and i missed a cracking bite, best of the night, a few serious pulls, then a real lunge.

I was straight back out with a fresh bait bit a tad smaller, within 5 mins a series of pulls followed by a decent bite, i struck and the fish went mental, couldn't move it at first then, it started to motor off, my ultegra didn't like it at all, the handle started turning without the spool moving, i must have had it on for over 5 mins, don't think i even managed to get it under cliff, needless to say we parted company.

I switched reels to my new 7500LC, again within minutes the rod was off, wound it up comfortably, this 1 was 3.25lb. Straight back out again, same result, this was a better fish again, i got it mid cliff before the hook pulled, next cast i lost a similar fish at bottom of cliff.

It was now 10.55 and i was bolloxed, i'd been in this spot for 1hr, 5 casts, 5 bites, 4 hooked and 2 landed but still no Bemmo Mops. I was now thinking of home rather than a move to Bird Sanctuary, the next 15 mins made my mind up.

I cast another smallish crab/sloppy out, i'd only just set the rod in the rest and started stripping the spare trace of cotton when i saw the rod showing signs of another bite, no sooner had i picked up the rod it had lunged over, another good fish, was interested to see how the reel coped, answer, pretty well, after around 5 mins best cod of the night was safely banked, a nice 5lb10.

Couldn't even bring myself to cast out again even though there was obviously a good head of fish in front of me, back was in bits and i had a good 20 mins walk with around 20lb of fish on top of my gear.

Was a very unusual night for me and Bemmo as its normally quantity rather than quality i associate with the place, anyhow a good start to the season. 5 down 45 to go..........

Read more related stuff at the following links :

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2015
    • Like Like x 6
  2. dabcatcher

dabcatcher Blenny

brilliant session for you. i also use a pair of ultegras but have been toying with the idea of getting a spinfisher 750lc purely for the rough stuff. going on last nights result, could you recomend it.

cheers.

3. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

ive only used it twice tbh, its a lovely casting reel, coped ok last night.

4. robq

robq Rockling

Good stamp of fish under there at the moment Mark:)

I could have filled the sib on sunday within 200yds of the cliffs

Well done on the fish

The 7500lc is a nice reel though;)

5. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

I bought after your email bud, although i am seriously thinking of buying the FinNor after reading Jellys and BigCliffs glowing reports.

there does look to be a good stamp, not sure i'll be going back up in a hurry though, back not good this morning

6. robq

robq Rockling

I've got both mark but have to say I found the 7500lc as good as the finn nor on the lift but so far only off filey tops with fish up to 4 lb

Time will tell though and I do have to say the finn nor is massively engineered:)

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

The Fin Nor reels have the balls no doubt about it , the OS 8500 reel is big a bit heavy but when its on your rod you don't seem to notice it , I think the 7500 would be a good reel for heavy work as well , we have a couple of Lethal 100 as well , we have used them off the tops with no problems , but I believe long term the 8500 or the 7500 would be a better bet from the cliff tops === me and my son went to Bemo on the Ist Oct , we got a few cod up to around 4lb best , wrasse etc , we hooked an absolute belter it looked
    big from the cliff top both of our reactions were There no way this fish is coming up and we were right we lifted maybe 15 foot out of the water , bang it was gone when we got the rig to the cliff top the sakuma 6/0 big eye ha snapped as clean ass a whistle just where
    the gape of the hook started ----- We weren't even sorry we had lost it

• Like Like x 1
  8. mocksqueek

mocksqueek Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done good post mate.

9. Silver Fox

Silver Fox New Member

Well done mate

10. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Nice one mark

11. richie7

richie7 Blenny

Well done Mark, great report too.

Look after the back, I've suffered before and if not sorted it can often return.
    Hopefully get some seas back end of the month & the scaurs may start to fish. No more heavy winching!

12. baldy1

baldy1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done there mate sounds like you had a good night stuff dreams are made of

13. adrenalin.

adrenalin. Blenny

Cracking report king cod!!nice to see your back out among the greenbacks!!come & get some sand in ya toes reckon it's gonna b a better Down on the holderness.

14. Howard

Howard Blenny

The signs are its going to be a fantastic winter Mark. The stamp of fish is superb. There is a sprinkling of 20lb +fish coming to the boats on land rock already so cliff fishing could be difficult because of the size of the sample.
    Have a good one. H.

15. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Brilliant stuff Mark. Looking like a good winter ahead. And thanks for the comprehensive report, it makes it worth reading.

16. Glenn Kilpatrick

17. bassman

bassman Administrator

Great result Mark its looking good for the season

18. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

As long as i've fished up there(only around 5 or 6 years) i have not hooked as many good fish in 1 session, normal for me up there its mops plus odd fish 4lb plus, i'm not sure i'll be heading up there again tbh Howard for that reason, if i do it'll be the Alvey & 100lb braid

19. Glenn Kilpatrick

Id be avoiding the spot if they kept coming out that Big :) One fish of that size a session is more than enough to cope with :) I remember the first time I took Mike down there. He hooked one about 3lb and it nearly killed him. I've had them Upto about 7 or 8lb and thats a nightmare. God knows how people have pulled doubles up - @glassback

20. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

It was torture Glenn, like i've said previousley owt upto 3.5lb its not too bad, above that i have to involve the bank stick etc and it becomes really hard on the back, when you've had to do it 7 or 8 times in 1 session over such a short space of time, it becomes ridiculous, back still in bits now.....