1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

160lb kayak skate for Ken - how **cking Big !!!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by newdave, Apr 18, 2009.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Go when you like Simon, goes for anyone else too, anyone fancy it? :happy:

Neil wants to get back soon, i know that. We need really neap tides though and of course the weather . . .

Me and Spud simply had a nice long paddle along the Sound on the Sunday, an absolutely beautiful coastline, will load some pictures later.

Wow they are fantastic pictures too George - that underwater shot.... :surprise: :cheesy:

Ken

2. spud

spud New Member

If some one will look after me yak i will jump in with me camera next time and get some vidio :no:

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

One of the fish was released and we were all sat there watching it as it sank into the depths. It then rolled over, composed itself and then started to swim back towards the surface to us, we all took our feet out of the water and screamed like girls :laugh:

4. spud

spud New Member

How about just before or after the Sharktag weekend say the 10th and 11th or 15th 16th June depends on tides though.

That will be even more extreme Skate fishing with Midges :laugh:

5. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

awersome stuff lads, well done.

is there a yak caught skate record??

6. bucko

bucko New Member

Incredible stuff Ken- well done.

7. spud

spud New Member

Spanner holds the record with a fish of around 200lbs yet to be comfirmed it was huge

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

Truely unreal that ken . awsome mate ......whats next ?

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

I dont know mate, not on a mission, honest :whistle: . No i dont know, certainly spend a bit more time on the tope this summer (they having them over in mid-wales already). Its just a real kick when these big fish pull your string, anyone who says that skate dont fight has obviously never caught one, bloody hell once you have a bit of distance between them and the sea bed and they manage to get there head down theres not a lot you can do to stop em - and then you have to start all over again. The males are truelly fiesty.

Looking forward to some light float fishing too for bass and pollock, would love to target mullet, they must be in the region somewhere. What you reckon mate? :cheesy:

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I rekon theres some in the Tees, but they wont tell you exactly where. Probably around the power station but I wouldnt be surprised if they were south side too. Just guessing because those who know where they are wont say.

If ever I find out Ill tell you.

11. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Thanks Glenn, know for a fact they are in the small tributaries of the humber, our old friend Nicepix put us onto some of them. Looking forward to finding that elusive plaice too, sure Smokey wont mind me putting this up but got some great advice from him. They are known to be found close in tight to the Brigg in Filey bay - a place you can launch in most weather conditions in total safety, the boat club at Country Park - just a few yards from the beach/Brigg. Anyone looking for somewhere to launch could do a lot worse, nice light gear, a bit of snotty bait, never venturing further than 60 yards from the beach - easy league points and prizes to be had :whistle: (watch the dabs tho, they can be misleading :embarrass: ) if your getting dabs your too deep :wink:

12. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

13. spanneryak

spanneryak Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi guys, just registered again. I thought I had registered before but it seems somebody else has registered as spanner so I'm using spanneryak instead.

Phew... what a weekend....gotta be some sort of record... a bunch of kayak anglers, great weather and great fishing all in the same place and at the same time. Brilliant ;D

Neil and Ken have pretty much covered Saturday, and I don't have any good pictures of my skate, just one murky shot of it underwater, but there are pics and there is loads of video so I'm sure we'll see it soon.

4 times I had her up alongside; the first time when I grabbed her nose she bolted back down, the second time I got her nose but the first pull on the trace saw a repeat dive, the third time I got a yank with the T-bar before she dived, and it was finally on the fourth attempt before I got her released. Each dive was a bit too close to disaster for comfort.. once the wind-on leader caught in the rings, once I had the drag a little too loose (in case of a dive) and it nearly birdied, and once the line got wrapped on a ring. Each dive was well over 200ft, possibly 300ft, as it took me 15mins to get her back up to 120ft when she showed on the sounder (or the lead did).

So I was mighty relived to finally get free after 1hr 45mins...... I can't wait to get to see some good photos of it to see if it really was a big as it seemed to me at the time, it felt way bigger than the 175lb one I caught 3 years ago, bloody huge in fact and possibly over 200lb, but I await photo evidence first :D

On Saturday morning Cameron, my 15yr old son, had been fishing a skate bait but after my struggle he decided that there was no way he wanted to be hooked up to that so he stopped fishing and just watched the action. However, after watching Stephen land his 3rd of the day and seeing that they weren't all as nasty as mine was he decided to give it another go on Sunday morning so we went back out. Within minutes he was into a fish and soon found out what its like to sit locked solid on a fish for a long time. With a bit of help from me he finally managed to get the fish moving and after an hour had her up on the surface where I unhooked her.

[​IMG]

After that Cameron decided not to fish anymore and took a well earned rest......
    [​IMG]

So I think that means Cameron hold the record for the youngest to capture a skate from a kayak :)

Speaking of records, the first skate I caught from a kayak, which was in 2006, was gaffed onto a boat and weighed on a gantry with a proper set of scales at 175lb, while the measurements gave 173lb on the original chart and 177lb on the revised chart.

Great weekend and really good to meet up with you guys ;D

14. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Great report Spanner and well done to your son on getting his skate

15. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Welcome to the forum Paul and thank you for that great report. For people who don't know, it was Pauls posts that have inspired us all on to go after the skate and I must thank him personally for the many pm's were he freely shared his wisdom and experiences with us. It was his advice and that of Rupert on this forum that enabled us to go armed with enough knowledge to tackle these fish. Thank you guys.

I do hope the fish turns out to be a 200lb er, It could not have gone to a more deserved captor. So pleased for Cameron too, in all a perfect weekend :happy:

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

There was an article in sea angler a few years ago now by a well known local angler from teeside ,he done an article on the north gare breakwater and being from the area i recognised exactly where he fished ,he did spend a few tides grond baiting it though,and the results were very good ,

17. the artist

the artist what a view , i think ill paint it or fish it

Nice one boys !! nice pics and good reports. lots of memories to keep you going through the long blanking sessions of midwinter..well done!

18. johno

johno New Member

well done to all of you have fished out of oban for years after skate but to get one on a kayak is something special
    great one fella,s

19. craggerz

craggerz New Member

Good thing you was in your "rigid air bed" there m8.......you may have had trouble landing that fish in your "real" kayak :laugh:

20. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!