1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

160lb kayak skate for Ken - how **cking Big !!!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by newdave, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

What a fantasic couple of days.........

We had a day over at Crinan about a month ago and I failed to connect with a Skate, this weekends trip was planned to redress that score.

We arrived on Friday afternoon and rigged up in time to spend a few of hours afloat before dark. The wind was fresher than forecast, although it was Easterly it still managed to make it’s presence felt, making our usual marks a bit iffy for our liking. We spent a few fruitless hours dragging anchors and contending with a tide that certainly wasn’t running in our favour. By now the sun was starting to set over Jura and it was time to hit the shore for a bite to eat and a beer.

[​IMG]

Saturday dawned and the initial signs were good. The wind had dropped and the sun was threatening to put in an appearance. We had a quick cuppa and by 8.00 am we were a mile off shore dropping anchor on our first mark. The tide was still running quite strongly through this mark and anchor was dragging. The dummy was spat out and 550 feet of 3mm warp was hauled back into the yak, no wonder my arms are sore today. We spotted a creel marker near by and decided to take advantage, we tied off to it, dropped the baits and waited.

The wait was short , Stephen was first to get hit on the Skate rod. I was in front of him on the buoy so I proceeded to clear my rods. Up came the Skate bait untouched, then to the scratching rod, it was stuck to the bottom and moving off up tide……….

Stephen was now engaged in battle and starting to win the fight, meanwhile I was getting nowhere and soon broke off, losing the lot. At least I could now assist Stephen in his battle…..

[​IMG]

Muscle man made short work of this big female and after a bit of assistance from Ken we had her on the surface ready for a quick photo shoot, measure and release… ;-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No time to waste and we were soon back on the mark looking for for more of the same. The tide was still slack so our hopes were high. Stephen was back in action before the rest of us had time to get some bait on………

[​IMG]

This time it was a battle. The earlier fish was a big female and once it had been broken away from the bottom it came up gracefully. This one was playing a different ball game, it was coming up a few yards then quickly descending back to square one. It was acting more like some of the big male fish that have been encountered in this area. As the fish surfaced our suspicions were soon confirmed, this big lad was coming out for a picture and a quick measure. …………

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The chain of kayaks grew as the mark started to produce and soon Spud was in action, a smaller fish this time but a Skate none the less.

[​IMG]

We had a quiet spell during the afternoon as the tide picked up pace but as it slackened off again the action started. Paul hooked a big fish just outside us and had a heck of a battle getting it to the surface. The fish got it’s head down three times and took a lot of line from him on each occasion. After a very long battle it was finaly released and although paul was a good 500yds away from me I heard a big sigh of relief.

During Paul’s battle Ken's lottery ticket was being stamped, another big fish was on it’s way up from the depths. I’ve seen Ken using forum names like Bassyken and Carpyken, I can assure you it should reallly be Skateyken, he has the bug, bigtime……!.

After seeing Paul’s battle Ken assured me that this fish wasn’t going to lead him a merry dance. It surfaced and then………….

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It changed it’s mind and wanted to go back down again. Ken had other ideas though and quickly adjusted the drag to sunset mode and winched back to the surface, showing us his best sha**ing face …..!

[​IMG]

My turn came next, as soon as we went back onto the buoy, the lines were down then my rod arched over into a good fish. I was slow to set the hook and after a few brief moments of action it spat the hook… Bast*rd…….!

Within seconds Stephen’s rod went off again, presumably the same fish which I had just dropped…!
    This was now Stephens third fish of the day and although he wasn’t struggling to bring it up he was definitely knackered. Bear in mind here that we had no harnesses, but pads or bacon butties on tap ….lol…By now we had been in the saddle for nine hours without even going ashore for a wizz.

[​IMG]

That was it for the day, enough you may think but I could have done with one on my rod, instead I had to be content with playing gillie for the day to five different fish………

Stephen took this pic of Ken, a classic…………..and a v big Skate……………..

[​IMG]

Neil.

2. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

wow, great fishing lads

3. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done again to you all, fantastic report and pictures

4. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Absolutly fanyastic... well done to ou all especially OUR Ken.. nice 1 mate....

5. newdave

newdave Guest

Brilliant report & superb pictures Neil, just read Dorados article in TSF about kayak conger, bet he's sorry he missed this though :yes:
    I was really hacked off that i could not make the trip, but I am sitting in costa coffee in dubai airport reading that & just can't stop smiling.
    well done again to all of you, Awsome :yes:

6. Davo

Davo Rockling

What a fantastic report, and pictures :yes:. Well done Ken and the rest of the lads, and thanks for sharing it.

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Great story and some great fish. I'm just pleased you had a decent camera with you to capture the whole thing so well. The quality of the pictures really illustrate the situation well. Beautiful weather, beautiful setting and and fishing that you'll struggle to better anywhere. Full marks to all of you.

8. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Awesome report and photos :yes:

Those beasts are just unbelievable, hats of to you lads :happy:

9. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

A big well done to all. That looks like a fantastic experience and will have many, very envious. You lot have definitely set new boundaries for the yak fishing community to reach. Pictures are brill if it was the same camera you had on the beach Thursday Neil, you want your head looking at taking it out on the yak :wink:. So what`s next on the hit list for the extreme anglers.

10. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Great report Neil . . and those pictures are just totally amazing. A brilliant weekend with great friends, new and old. A really big well done to Stephen, how he managed to haul three of those beast up I will never know. Some great memories there that will last a life time. Its got to be said, its a real good result as a group effort, we all were depending on each other for such things as bracing kayaks, rafting up, unhooking, photos etc, absolutely brilliant how everyone assisted and aided each other. Right off to bed...

11. spud

spud New Member

Just got back when are we going again. Crinan III :yes:

12. carpyken

carpyken New Member

A bit of video with great thanks to Stephen..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4zxaFAAfso

13. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

This photo is fantastic ,seeing that big white monster comeing up from the deep ,bloody marvelous

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Robson green ,who is he ? you guy,s have left him in your wake, :yes: get yourselfe,s in touch with a tv company and show them how extreme you guys do it :cool:

15. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Absolutey brill picks Ken that skates big than you!!! nice one

16. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Outstanding pictures and report, breathtaking stuff lads, thanks for sharing.

17. Maxie

Maxie New Member

:scare: great stuff lads :happy:

18. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

they are a little bit bigger than what i caught on sea urchin ken , :happy: cod and ling only :laugh: :laugh: but the thrill of the catch is allways the same ,great to see the video on you tube :cool:

19. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Brilliant weekend and some fabulous pictures - look at the water clarity! Typical that I was working for this one and blown off the previous one....I was across the water on the north coast of Ireland, doing boating stuff (and watching a rescue unfurl in the surf - we had a full gale).
    Spud, when next?

This coming weekend - kayak course is off :laugh:

20. spud

spud New Member

Awesome weekend roll on Crinan III :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]