1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

15 fathoms

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Ramsrod, Mar 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

When I first came to Scarborough and decided to retire from golf and take up fishing in earnest after a 20 year break I got an Admiralty chart for this area mainly just to get familiar whith the coastline and the names of places. Now I can,t remember where I heard it but someone said that when the cod are going to spawn they usually head north on the tide in some channels that are 15 fathom deep. This may be true maybe some of the boat lads could confirm this, but what was interesting is that where these channels run closest to the shore are the places you are likley to catch a big fish, those places being, Filey Brigg, Marine drive Hawsker and Boulby. Has anyone else heard of the 15 fathoms ?

2. baza

baza New Member

i heard this too ramrod but cant remember where, i think it was on a website maybe mike ladles, is boulby that deep?

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

They,re not right next to the shore Baza but they,re not too far off either, probably where those French trawlers were :'( It,s maybe a combination of water temp, tide or maybe water pressure has something to do with it you never know but they,ve been doing it for long enough and will have something in their instinct,s to guide them i would have thought.

4. Howard

Howard Blenny

Dont know about the 15f thing RR but when I worked on the Scarborough boats this time of year was the leanest and my skip (an old timer) used , during settled spells to shoot trammels tight in off the drive. When we hauled there was nowt, nowt, nowt ,then 3or4 30lb + would come over this happened regular there was no codlings just bits and these sprags. The reasons for him shooting there at this time (not any other time)must have some history thing. These fish were massive and just gutted and put on the market.

5. smokey

smokey Rockling

I know that November onwards,the cod shoal up off headend(Flamborough),this must be a yearly occurence as the trawlers seem to head there same time each year and do very well.

6. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

SORRY, NEVER GOT PAST THE FIRST LINE OF YOUR FIRST POST RAY, AND HAD TO REPLY....
    I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT A MAN OF YOUR STATURE USED TO PARTAKE IN THE FILTHY WASTE OF O DAMN GOOD WALK, SPORT THEY CALL GOLF :mad: :-[ :'(

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Oh yes. The course used to look like Filey beach on a good ebb ;D One lad i know went on the 1st tee, lashed at the ball, missed it, hit the ball coming back and put it straight through the club house window ;D CLASS

8. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

THERE IS NO SCRATCH THE TOP OF MY HEAD ICON, SO I WILL JUST IMAGINE THAT IT WAS IN THE 60'S THAT YOU WERE WASTING GOOD WALKS, WITH A STICK WITH NO LINE :D

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I think the ground in the south Hawsker - Robin hoods area is supposed to be good for the big spawning fish..

10. baza

baza New Member

it is supposed to be the sand that attracts them a bit like salmon looking for the right sort of gravel to lay there eggs in. the sand cod and plaice and probably many other species is exactly the same as the sand we use in the building trade and we call it sharp sand. millions of tonns is dredged up off the sea bed with no thought for breeding fish. the details where on a website about breeding fish, probably the same one that mentions the 15 fathoms