1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

14lb shore cod caught on tiger prawn

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Bernie, Nov 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Bernie

Bernie Blenny

A lad fishing a sussex beach got a 14lber on a peeled Tesco's Finest :surprise: see http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php/1471733-My-best-session-Ever!!!

I guess though it could have been attracted around by the lug on his other hook.

Anyone else tried them (for fishing I mean) ?

2. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

when i fish the gambia beaches theres nothing to beat the fresh shrimp /prawns the fish home in on them right away & the water is well coloured visiability is very poor so they must have a great scent trail , how much scent a frozen one has ,i dont know , but a friend of mine a good salmon angler uses the big prawns to good effect too ,i would feel confident trying them as bait for cod

3. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson New Member

This comes as no surprise to me, about 5 years ago I saw one of Scarborough's finest match anglers tipping off peeler baits with raw supermarket king prawns. If we can smell them so can the fish

4. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

i know "mad mick" often uses grey prawns... but he prefers the Asda 's extra special to tesco's finest :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=28565.msg235497#msg235497

5. wilky

wilky Blenny

Over here on the Fylde coast the early season codling are often stuffed with shrimps. How you mount a shrimp on a big pennel I have no idea

6. Mike Clydesdale

Mike Clydesdale Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The Tiger prawns from Tesco (or where ever you can buy big unpeeled ones) do work. I have used on Suffolk beaches (Aldeburgh) and had up to 10 cod in a session and seen people next to me catch nothing. On one occasion I did not have any prawns but the two men next to me had caught at least 5 cod each before I left with 1. I have had cod at whitby West Pier and Sandsend cliffs (Rabbit holes) while those around (Baramundi) with cart and peeler were struggling before I had to leave. I usually use as tipping off the worm bait with prawn. Never tried in combination with peeler or cart but will do this winter. Many think its best to eat the Prawns but they do catch and @ £4 a 250gm. packet are worth a filler when other bait is in short supply. Maybe others are catching on prawns but dare not let the secret out of the bag. Worth a Try!

7. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

I did ask about these when i first joIned the forum,

Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing / raw tiger prawns from asda :confused:

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9011.msg77940#msg77940

8. lankypaul

lankypaul Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

How strange just being in tesco and bought some King prawns for tomorrow nite at saltwick then came home and read this

9. Rockford

Rockford Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Big cliff used to do well on shrimps he used to net off Marske beach. When I went to the Gambia with Alan,GJW and Saltburn club in 2001 Huge Prawns was the bait used on both beach and boat trips. Big cooler boxes full of Prawns would be picked up at Tangey fish market on route to some of the beach marks we fished.

10. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I use them all the time. Only had whiting on them and afew year got a cracking placie over west coast. :cheesy:

Mick

11. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Fine Fare now thats a blast from the past , that was before it was called Summerfield ----- The cod in some venues loved there tubs of cockles I saw an angler
    get 27 cod one day down the ore terminal in the Tees , I had several good bags of cod on them and it wasnt a one off , its still a canny bait when it gets fished in the right places , very often lugworm tipped off with cockles will out fish lug alone

12. WetLine

WetLine Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Was fishing on the shore at South Landing with no bites & a bit bored so tried live shrimps
    (the tiny kind you find in seaweed at the top of the beach & they don't half jump about)
    Managed to mount about 10 of them on a fine hook with a bit of lug & caught a few mops but nothing huge.
    Did the lug catch 'em or the shrimps you decide ?

13. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

ha ha good old tanji .did you pick up the bonga fish & ice too :wink: i had my own landrovert110 there i drove down to sanyang then gunjur had captain fish ,sunpat ,huge guitar fish & stingray up to 70lbs ,happy days

14. robq

robq Rockling

they do work :yes: had a few cod on them fished tipped with a squid head on a 2nd rod when I have been short of bait

15. merman

merman Blenny

A codling I caught coughed up a good sized prawn, I stuck it on the hook and very soon I reeled in a 5lber, I've never tried using as part of a cocktail but I will now.

16. fishysteve

fishysteve North West Donkers

used them a lot on the holderness coast and some days i have used them it was the only thing you had a bite on, used frsh collected live shrimp over our side at blackpool and caught rays on them, the doggies this side like the bought ones to much, used them down south for plaice frozen with lots of garlic, might have to bring some with me uptiding on saturday and give them a try :)