1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

12lb _ 20lb is it man enough

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by missedanothersodinbite, Feb 24, 2011.

1. missedanothersodinbite

missedanothersodinbite Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Is a 12lb-20lb rod man enough to go jigging with when wreck fishing

2. rich123

rich123 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

not really m8 u want sumthing bit heavyer

3. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Phil save your 12/20 for shad fishing and get yourself a 30lbs 30/50lbs for heavy jigging / down tide fishing where you might need to use over a 1lbs of lead tightlines Alain

4. smokey

smokey Rockling

It will work fine mate,just match it with the correct braid and weight of pirk and it will cope with anything.
    You will get a lot more fun out of this outfit when playing a fish than you will with a 30-50lb setup.

5. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You will be ok with it so long as you dont use jigs that are too big i use a 12lb-20lb kenzaki no problems. Although somtimes the tide dictates i use the 20lb-30lb one never had to go above that though

6. ziggy

ziggy luv it fishing

i'll let you know on tuesday weather permitting.
    just bought a kenzaki braid 12-20 and an okuma magnetix 20 for a bit of light gear fun. and because it was shiny :crazy: :laugh: :crazy:
    you have a nice day sat in your office chris with your leg up

7. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

you will have great fun wrecking with lighter gear, just take your time and don't panic. Remember many moons ago when NE anglers went wrecking with a winch for a reel and and a steel girder for a rod, well that's what they looked like, they used to laugh when I got my 30lb class uptider out, that is until I was having more fun than them.

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Your getting a lot of confusing and conflicting advice. Personally speaking I wouldnt do it. But those who are advocating it are likely to be using very light braid and light jiggers in the region of 4-10oz. If you want to go heavier than that then step it upto the 20-30 class. I have a fladen maximus 10-20 that I bought for the kayak and even for that I dont like it.

9. cps

cps Rockling

i think it depends alot on the manifacture of the rod i have an ugli stik 15ib that wil handle enything including 1 1/2 lb leads and have had fish on it close to 200lbs , depends if they are uk rated or us rated
    also depends on the day , usaly if i am wreckings its in perfect condishions otherwise we dont bother so when shading i use 20lb fireline and 5oz of lead even in the deep water at the wall its fine
    also depends on anglers experence to how light you can fish , it takes a bit of time befor you ge the feel of how it all wors with the lighter gear even going up a couyple of ounces makes things alot easyer
    Mart uses a spro 8 to 16 jiger which has covered him or all situations with me [ except skate and sharks ]and we go most place that the whitby charter fleet go

In the end you got to use what you fell is right
    also depend if it will be the only rod you have as for us we always have a few heavery rods on the boat but the dont seem ever to get used for wreaking

hope i havent just made your choicer harder

10. cod.ling1973

cod.ling1973 I will cast more than 100 yards one day :-)

Hi,
    I use my 12/20 braid ugly stik for shadin only and my 20/30 braid Penn power stik for jiggin or bait fishing, personally I wouldn't use it mate but like a few have said it's all down to knowing your gear and it's capabilities.
    I'm out on Tuesday with Paul weather permitting, il be taking both :gum:

Tight lines
    Jd

11. rupert

rupert Blenny

Chris gives sound advice here.

There is quite a variation between UK rated rod classes. For example, amongst my boat rods, I have an 8' Fladen Solid C rod rated 20-50lb. It says on the sticker "max jigger 180gram". That's less than 6.5 oz. and you would expect quite a bit more from a 20 - 50lb. In my opinion this rod is way over rated and feels nearer a 12-20lb.

Another 12-20 rod I have is a 7' 9" Abu Impulse. This has quite a soft tip and medium / fast taper, so the mid section, which is quite pokey comes into play. Once the soft tip has pulled round, you can apply quite a bit of stick with this rod. At first impression, the soft tip would suggest the rod has no guts, but that's not the case in use.

The reality is that you can find a wide variance between rod action and the fact that certain manufacturers class ratings are in my opinion, over ambitious. Unless you are going on personal recommendation from someone who has fished a specific make/model of rod - and quite a few people have made sound suggestions based on their own experience locally, you could end up disappointed. Get the right balanced setup however, and I very much doubt you'll ever look back.

12. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Probably just a little to soft for jigging on the deeper wrecks when you must get the jigger to move to invoke a response from the cod. Will be perfect for shadding though and great fun as others have already said..

13. wegga

wegga New Member

Hi missedanother, as Baramundi Bob says it could prove too light really. Don't forget wrecking isn't just about playing clean hooked fish; the rod and whole set up has to be able to stand up to the rigours of also latching onto a wreck on a fast drift. Add to this sometimes hooking more than one fish which means you're lifting a heavy dead weight.... or foul hooking a decent fish with a jigger. The rod has to be able to withstand all this too. Gone are the days of 80lb class rods, a lot of people still have 50lb, but with braid and a medium sized multiplier such as a TLD 15, a 30lb class rod should prove a good all round rod for a typical day boat fishing.

14. smokey

smokey Rockling

Very sound advice,i have a shimano 12-20lb class rod and fish the wrecks with it no problems,30lb braid,6oz lures and a mono rubbing leader.
    You will have far more fun on a lighter outfit than the guy next to you with 50lb rod and 80lb braid guarenteed.
    To me boat fishing is all about fighting and playing the fish,thats where all the excitement is,not winching a fish up from 150ft of water in 60 seconds.