1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

120hr trip on chieftain

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by barrymac, Sep 20, 2014.

1. barrymac

barrymac Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

we left whitby on tuesday at 1pm and headed north east arriving 90miles east of edinburgh at about 7am on wednesday
    the first days fishing was fairly quiet with only about 50 cod coming on board the best being a cod of 17lb.
    overnight we traveled 50miles east were the fishing was completely different, on the 1st wreck 25st of cod was caught the best being 26lb, 2nd wreck 20st of cod best 15lb, 3rd wreck 20st of cod best 22lb, 4th wreck 20st the best being 24lb cod, the last wreck 40st of cod the best being a 24lb cod
    there was over 30 cod caught weighting between 20 and 26lb and 60+ between 10- 20lb,
    fellow forum member stevenlee caught a 20lb cod plus a 17lb cod at the same time then shortly after got personal best, a 23lb cod,
    another member joel99 caught a 23lb cod on a 12lb class rod, that rod was bent double, over night we traveled 60miles south.
    3rd days the fishing was not as hecktick about 50st of fish best being 17lb, the skipper got the 2pm weather forecast and it wasnt good, force 6 winds from the north east, so he decided to call it a day, we were 140 from whitby and it was a 20hr steam back to whiby arriving back at 11am on saturday,
    all the lads went home with plenty of good cod fillets, father and son team, john and richard from bradford went home with 28st of fish fillets between them,
    another good trip on the chieftain was had by all on board

2. j99oel

j99oel Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ey up Barry,

Yeah was a good trip, shame about the weather on that first day and stopping us fishing yesterday, think that Norwegian Sector made up for it!
    Some hellish fish lost, I got snapped twice using 80lb trace, the lad who lost that fish at the gaff (don't know if you saw it) looked to be pushing 30lb.
    I had loads of doubles and 2 twentys that afternoon, think Griz who was fishing next to me had about 6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Griz's 26

[​IMG]

Had a laugh with that Clive character, hope hes on again..

3. SteveLee

SteveLee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Now then Barry.
    Was an excellent trip.
    Good company with plenty of laughs.
    Good food thanks to your good self.

Shame about the weather, but still came home well satisfied.

When I was retrieving that 37lb worth of cod I thought it was just one fish as it kept pulling line off the drag. For every few of yards I got back on the reel it won a couple back. When it was visible in the water it looked just like one fish, it was only just at the surface when they separated that realised there were 2 good fish.
    Beat my personnel best cod by a couple of lbs, now at 23lb
    Not much room left in a bucket with a 23lber in it

Attached Files:

4. barrymac

great photos lads, pity we cant photo some of the laughs we had, little jimbo pulling in that 22lb cod was hillerious he was puffing and panting i thought he was going to have a heart attack,me with a hook through my finger and george yanking it out with a pair of mole grips wise crack clive having fruit salad on his head , role on the next 120

5. SteveLee

SteveLee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

How's Ian's finger Barry?

6. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re:120 HR trip on chieftain

Nice one fellas some good fish there bet your arms ached afterwards

7. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

excellent trip lads and great photos. Some proppa donkeys there well done

8. wilky

wilky Blenny

Nice to see Chieftain still doing the business

9. barrymac

fingers starting to heal, steven, they will be spot on for the 70hr trip next friday
    hopefully we will be pulling in more pigs, will put on a report on forum when we get back, away this weekend on a 36hr