1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10lb Cod - Runswick Kayak Fishing Today

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mike_t, Aug 4, 2012.

1. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Well after an epic failure of getting up and out at 4 I was on the water for 0645, nice and flat and hardly any clouds in the sky.

I knew where I was heading after having and loosing fish a week or two ago, I took a detour from my route as i seen seagulls dive bombing the water, sure enough loads of small fish scattering across the surface, typical, I had left me lure rod in the car.

On I went after a short enough paddle I lowered me twin tail to the deck, second drop I lost a fish, a promising sign.

Sure enough on 5th drop i was into my first cod around 3lb and had swallowed my lure, I could just see the eye of the hook down its throat.

After gutting the fish to get me lure back I had drifted a long way off, back up and this drift brought a cod of 6lb and nother around 3lb. Back up to the starting point and this time the rod was just about wrenched from my hands pulling line off the real after a god scrap i saw the colour coming up in the water it was a beauty straight into the yak, 10lb 9oz, I was buzzing, a new personal best.

Checking me line and my knots back to the deck and straight into a 8lb cod, each drift produced a cod mostly around 3-4lb but so much fun. I lost my twin tail on the deck and the only other one the same, I put a small white eel on and mid water had a pollok, my first good pollok slipped it straight back, leaving the lure in the water I paddeled back I hook into a nice size mackrel.

I had one cod about 2lb on the lure so changed for a sidewinder green and blue, I had a couple of cod on this but fishing was a lot slower, I guess they liked the white twin tails.

I do not know how many fish I had but had a great session smallest fish 2lb ish and my first double figured cod.. Few pics when i was out, the seagull would not leave me alone, when sat side saddle it kept coming in for me foot, cheeky bugger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the camera a bit close to the water on this one woops
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ones I kept, smaller fish had swallowed my lures so had to keep em
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my 10lb 9oz
    [​IMG]

2. mike_t

Re: Runswick Yakkin today

A few times I had seem small bait fish scattering and a few times small fish feeding off the top, light gear be going with me next time

3. codnchips

codnchips until the end

good report mate. my target is a double from the yak this year. hopefully me and mark are launching at skinningrove tomorrow so might have a chance. been without my car for a few weeks as some knob hit me but thanks to mark and an epic journey we may get out.
    keep up the good work mate.

4. andym

andym Rockling

Nicely done Mike

5. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report Mike and well done on the pb...

6. stirky

stirky Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done mike, it looks like you had a cracking trip out, well done with your PB.

7. 6ozDave

6ozDave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Top Angling that man! :happy:

That's settled it for me- I'm there on Weds :cheesy:

8. jase

jase Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done on the pb m8 cracker of day

9. mike_t

Cheers :cheesy: still got a chuff on lol was trying to wangle a few hours in morning but no go :sad:

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well done matey. Your in an elite group of Kayak Anglers who have caught double figure cod. Well done. Puts you in first place in the cod section so far this year :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/hall-of-fame-article