1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000 Yards Of Bass Nets

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 9, 2009.

1. GJW

GJW Rockling

Thats unlucky Mark, there seem's to be a lot of weed about up this way too, green hair, the other night you couldn't work your plugs properly because after a few turns of your reel handle, your lure was clogged up with the stuff.. Sorry to hear about your windscreen smashing, seem's like a session to forget...

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

We found weed to the north and clear to the south. Water colour was average, we have caught bass in worse.

3. Baramundi Bob

Like I mentioned above, if its a legal net then there is no problem, my wish is not to upset anyone.

4. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

The nets have been there for at least 3 years that I know of, you must be crap anglers Glenn :laugh:

The area can be prone to weed, which can be a problem particular when trolling, but I find the ebb tide soon sucks it out

5. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

From the last Flamborough Head Project meeting:

1. Update on current NESFC byelaws

DMc gave an update on byelaws in place within the Flamborough Head area. Two byelaws have been passed since the last meeting. The Flamborough Head Fishing Byelaw was August 2008 and was confirmed on the 5 February 2009. This byelaw only applies to trawling within the SAC, to protect and monitor sensitive features of the site. A special permit system is in place and is open to those who can prove a track record between the years of 2005-2007. Evidence from plotting systems will be requested; DMc personally would like to see the systems and tracks to check.

GT can under 10m still fish here?

DMc Hobby fisherman will not be able to; commercial vessels with current trawl permits can.

The second byelaw is an amendment to the fixed engine byelaw. From Flamborough to Withernsea light 5 permits where issued in November 2008, enabling fisherman to use intertidal nets to target sea bass. Applications have now been invited for the 2009/10 season. Previously between November and March there where no restrictions.

6. newdave

newdave Guest

just had a long conversation with these people, here is the full bylaw but the the short answer is that if the headline has less than 4m of water over it at low water it is illegally set, also all those short nets that the good old boys are putting on the scars are illegal. you can report sightings anonymously to # Telephone: 01482 393690 or alternatively: 01482 393515. # Fax: 01482 393699.
    http://www.neseafish.gov.uk/nesfc/bylaws.html

so the moral maze is there for all of us.

7. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

If it isnt illegal well I M O it should be

8. Doc

Doc New Member

I'm here Howard stop panicking :laugh: :laugh:

If it runs parallel to the shore then it sounds to me like it's a sole net.

Byelaw XVIII Fixed Engine.

Schedule I

A special derogation exists for the taking of Sole (Solea solea) in the district (areas A & B excepted) April 1st to 31st August.

A net for taking Sole (Solea solea) must be a net constructed of a single sheet of un-armoured netting not more than
    500 metres in length and not more than 1 metre in height with a minimum mesh size of 100mm (measured in
    accordance with the rules laid down in the relevant EC legislation from time to time).

The following series of conditions are attached

1) The net shall be placed seaward of the 5m depth contour line.

2) The net must only be placed or used by a registered fishing vessel

3) Used only between 0800 hours Monday and 2000 hours on Friday

4) Anchored to the sea bed and set in such a way that the lead line of the net is in permanent contact with the sea
    bed along the whole of its length

5) Not placed within 50 metres of any other net or trap

6) The position of all fleets of nets must be clearly marked at each end by a surface marker. That marker must show
    the vessels port letters and numbers

7) Unless otherwise authorised in writing by the Environment Agency the fixed engine is placed parallel
    to the shore

Sounds to me a sole net set along the edges of the soft

At 1m in height, it's highly unlikely to catch too many bass and particularly a single sheet, as opposed to a trammel.

9. Doc

Doc New Member

Also forgot to add that I have a feeling that there is some private agreement with local fishermen and the RSPB wrt setting gill nets during peak bird season, especially when the young are leaving the nest. A shallow (1m deep) net may be a compromise.

10. robq

robq Rockling

I saw the markers parallel to the shore but wasnt sure if it was a net ? I just assumed it to be fleets of pots but I suppose looking at it the dahns would not have been that close together.

I dont know of many sole in that area so it sounds like a loophole being exploited to me :confused: I know these guys have to make a living but I do seriously hope that they are not hammering the bass stocks :angry:

As for the colour it is patchy depending on state of tide as quint has already mentioned. As little as 50 yards can make a huge difference in some spots. The colour that was there wasnt too bad and the bass will still hit shallow fished lures as they see it as a silhouette anyway

Rob

11. Baramundi Bob

Doesnt sound like it was a sole net as all the corks were out of the water at about half ebb tide.

12. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

I thought it was just a massive chain of pots? Didn't stop me catching, must admit.

13. Howard

Howard Blenny

Could well be a "sole" net but thats the 1st time I have heard of sole been targetted there not the area or ground sole are generally found. There are some really good sole marks I know that are netted but there not round there. like Robq said looks like exploitation of dubious ,complicated rules. Theres some good Pollock marks in the area these could be wiped out at a stroke so best if this is nipped in the bud.
    Thanks for the info Doc. Maybe this lot could be brought up. No point in promoting local sport fisheries and then them been wiped out for a couple of big shots.

14. lochbois

lochbois Guest

We dont have any Salmon Drift Net fisheries around the coasts of Britain since they were bought out by Anglers do we . Wasnt that to allow migratory fish access to our N-E rivers .Gill nets are always blamed when i listen to a fish report on the radio.PB

15. Baramundi Bob

Hi Lochbois, there is still a Salmon drift netter at Whitby. All the rest who sold up bought fixed net licences and probably still catch just a s many.

16. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Lets not lose focus, theres only one damn reason that net is there.....

anyway, fisheries dealing with it now.....

17. Baramundi Bob

Not losing focus Ken, just having a discussion with Lochbois about Salmon driftnetting.

18. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Sorry Glenn, I'm refering more to the sole net posts :happy:

19. Baramundi Bob

20. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Sorry for mentioning the salmon nets lads . I hear that much about nets close in that i dont bother to fish the beaches in the winter now i admire you lads out in the kayaks . I wish more people would realise its not right to fish illegally.Nobody these days need to steal fish to feed their family surely . Fishing to me is a hobby to be enjoyed by everyone attracting tourists and provideing jobs in the tackle trade .I will stick to the nets used by the poachers on the River Wear which still are a problem : :confused:PB