1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000 Yards Of Bass Nets

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

In the last few weeks myself and Mike have been on our travels around the area doing a spot of kayaking. On a visit to Flamborough we came across a gill net stretching for 1000 yards or maybe more. Because of its placement I assume it was a bass net. The net had 2 enders on and ran parallel to the shore. It must have been shot from a boat.

Can anyone tell me if this net is legal ?? Obviously if its legal we have no problems with its placement but in all honesty I dont think they could have put it in a worse position, or maybe coming from their perspective it was in the best position possible to take advantage of the fish passing by.

The net seemed to stretch one hell of a long way. It came as no surprise to me that our 4 hour plugging session drew a blank, or maybe were just crap anglers.

2. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Could it not be a salmon net glenn ?

3. Baramundi Bob

Because of where it was I would say there was only one target species. The net was massive and not visible untill about 3 hours after high water when the corks started to show.

4. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Probably was a bass net then, slmon nets are top wter arent they.

I found an interesting PDF on gill nets if you wan tthe link glenn? Doesnt go much into the legal aspects of it but it is a good read

5. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

6. langy

langy Rockling

Ridiculous

7. fileybrigg

fileybrigg Blenny

Where at Flamboro did you see this net glen ?

8. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

That could be why there was nothing from the shore that evening hey glenn i thought one of you 3 might of had at least one,
    or was it that huge eel type thing Dan had scared all the fish ?
    anyways nice to see ya shArk

9. Baramundi Bob

Was nice to see you and your lad down there too mate. we paddled on untill about 9,45 not one take between the 3 of us. We covered every inch of the ground and tried every lure in the box. Thats the first time weve ever blanked.

10. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Shame that you didnt get out never mind hey next time,
    Are we still on for the sale ??
    shArk

11. newdave

newdave Guest

this same question has been asked many times Glenn & we still don't know what is legal & who is licenced to set these type of nets, I think Simon has a bit of info on the damage done to Bass fisherys in other parts of the country by this type of sustainable fishing method :confused:

ironic thought that last week a large part of the forum thought it was OK for some local scally to net a few bass/salmon & flog em to the local chinky,

12. smokey

smokey Rockling

Very true Dave :yes: If it is a salmon net,it's legal :yes: As i understand it on my commercial licensce, i can drift net for bass whereever i like,but a fixed net should be a minimum depth below the surface at low water,can't remember if it's 10 meters or 10 fathoms.If it's where i think it is Glenn,it will be legal,more than lightly one of the emmerson lads.. tight lines

13. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

The Fisheries lot are often down there so I can't see it being illegal. They are there every year in the same place.

14. newdave

newdave Guest

the sea is only 7m deep there so it cant be 10m below the surface Martin, what i find so hard to understand is why there is no clear information on what is legal, i have seen these requests to report illegal nets but how would anyone know whats legal ?, its not a Salmon net as its set parallel to the shore & Ray is correct that net was there last year as well :yes:

15. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

I've not seen a net down there - which side were you fishing?

The bass nets have to be licensed by the NESFC - there's plenty of info. To be honest, that is such a heavily fished spot, with so many people and potters about, I can't imagine anyone attempting something illegal.

But it's true, a single gill net like that can ruin the fishing for half a mile up tide of it. If you think it's out of order, get on your bikes and ask for bass to be protected from the commercials!

16. smokey

smokey Rockling

I'll have a word with the fisheries guys the next time i'm boarded and get a clear definition of the law... tight lines
    Licensed Bass nets are out of season at the minute so it can't be one of them :wink:

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

Slash em all...... :laugh: :laugh:

18. Dorado

Dorado New Member

I hate to say it......but look at what I got slanged for saying a year or two back......

Your bass fishing will be gone in two years if you don't do something about it.

19. Howard

Howard Blenny

Where is the Doc when you need him? Are you out there Nige? Can you shed any light on this matter? With this swell I was going to fish that sheltered area this w/end but not if there is a bloody great net there. I know if its a salmon net it will be lifted but by the sounds of it its too long and running the wrong way . Could be a bit of a hazzard to fouling props aswell.

20. JACKOM

JACKOM Blenny

I don't know what Glenn and co found in the kayaks but it was also colouring up with lots of weed on weds night from the shore down there which also didn't help much! I had a 80 mile round trip for 30 mins fishing and then a stone smashed the windscreen on the way home - expensive night!