1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 hour session

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by barrymac, Feb 22, 2011.

1. barrymac

barrymac Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

decided to try my luck yesterday, me and 2 mates went to marske beach at 10 am and fished in front of sewer pipe until 2pm .not a sniff , nowt ,not even a knock. decided to go to whitby west peir. Fished from 2.30pm until 8pm between us we caught 3 rocking, 1 whiting and 1 codling about one and a half pound, put it back cos it is an endangered species in this area. might have another try tomorrow. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

2. makaman

makaman Guest

wd on getting out can things get any worse has got 2 b 1 ov the worst cod seasons ever last 2 years have being chite

3. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

worst cod season ever rubbish. you just have to go find the fish, they are only on whitby west on a n /nw big sea otherwise its a waste of time. going to the wrong venue on the wrong conditions can soon put you off have a look at the marks page on here and get some pointers of when and where to fish and your catches will get a lot better

4. makaman

makaman Guest

are u sure iv fished all over this season october was great caught plenty being cod fishing 4 over 20 years spoke 2 loads ov lads all said the same v poor this season u must b a great fisherman or very lucky

5. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Bit of a harsh answer but true non the less.It ain't the worst cod season ever,not by a long way but it has been tough and at times frustrating.But read the reports and you will see that there are still fish getting caught,just not where you are targetting.Need to travel a bit further afield and try a few new marks when conditions suit best if you want to start catching mate,and this applies to me also.Your not alone :no: :sad:

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

It has been said loads of times , it started good but within 8 weeks it went belly up and generally has been like that for the last 12 weeks , unless people have been prepared to travel , We have just had some big tides and as a rule of thumb not set in concrete of course , lots of marks fish alot better on the EBB , I know marks that do fish on the flood, but the EBB is usually better , very often on
    slack tides its the other way round , Im sure that generally if you follow this your results will improve as long as you do all the other things that matter

7. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Sorry bud but i go along with Ben on this one, every time we had a stir up early season Sept/Oct/Nov there were good catches coming from various different venues, you only have to look at the difference between this years '50 codling challenge' and last years, a massive difference. Where it went pear shaped was when we were hit by the extreme temperatures and snow melt in late November and throughout December, the drop in temperature pushed the fish out into deeper water. Since the turn of the year we haven't had a decent NW sea ( 1 that lasts a few days) to bring the fish back in, problem is now we are getting to the very backend of the season.

8. mop the hoople

mop the hoople Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Barry mac,
    The area you were fishing can produce on smaller tides.The two "holes" that you were fishing into emptied too fast .These depressions come & go (due to a shallow beach) you need to peruse the area after a storm etc at low water to see where the sand has moved.If you had a pair of waders/chesties you could have crossed the pools & fished from the sand bank,taking care not to be caught out ,as the tide will flood behind you.This happened to me once ,due to the all fatal last cast when you are among the fish.As i tried to cross back to the shore side,the flood of the tide was to strong to wade through,fortunately the sand bank ran down towards the "Horse Path" & after a worrying walk the flow eased off further down the beach & i could cross to safety.Part of the process of learning is being able to read the area you fish,when,what bait etc etc.Try just to the left of the slipway at high tide & you may have better luck.

9. barrymac

barrymac Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi lads , thanks for all the replies and all the advice, taken notice of them espeically the one about marske beach, i learn something new everyday , cheers lads, barry

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

LAwseys is a very good angler and has been very consistent this year. The fishing was exceptional for the period upto Christmas. If you couldnt catch cod in the time period then its time to start thinking of lessons or another hobbie

11. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

i think i'll take up photography then :whistle:

12. makaman

makaman Guest

after cod fishing 4 many years i dont need any tips thx having the time 2 go when its right is the biggest problem i fished with lobbers a couple ov times every body caught nothing even tho lobbers said it was perfect dose he need tips how 2 catch cod as well

13. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

people are only trying to be helpfull to each other on here ive also been fishing for years but little tips always help. if you think you no all there is to no about cod fishing your wrong! and your catch rates will be a lot lower than someone who is willing to learn new ideas tricks etc

14. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Yes Lobbers needs a few tips, especially in how to put nappies on. When you see him next tell him to give me a ring as Ive heard nothing from him since their lass dropped.

15. TheCodfather

TheCodfather Guest

ive been cod fishing for years also i no 1 thing i still catch nowt lol