1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1/2 a degree warmer -what effect?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by navmanfish, Feb 17, 2017.

1. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Overheard in Whitby tackle shop,

reccon sea now 1/2 degree warmer a few meteres down than previous years

obvious a topic of conversation & one charter skipper fears for his future if things

don't pick up.

recent warmer weather /sun penetrating a few mtres may be obvious clue, sessions

out in jan (2-off) for us saw sea temp 7dgrees air temp 4.

may be other factors that fishing being poor-- bait fish offshore, spawning etc etc.

not user of FB to check how paul/Ritchie etc doing (paul could be on annual hols?)

so any thoughts ?

2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Very few charter boats going out Bry, only paul on Sea Otter and rich cope on Mistress seem to be getting any days in, only Paul away today

• Dumb Dumb x 1
  3. Howard

Howard Blenny

Anchored two banker wrecks on Friday. Always had cod off em. Not a bite. Had to have sausages for tea.

• Like Like x 1
  4. robq

robq Rockling

I hope it is just a poor season:(

I was planning to buy a decent fast fisher to launch from belvedere in 2 years time, however the way things have been this last year it would just be a waste of time :(

5. Howard

Howard Blenny

Don't do it rob only open half the yr and youll be lucky to get out by 9am . Weve usually bagged up by then.

6. Steve

Steve Rockling

Unless someone still asleep

7. robq

robq Rockling

Hmmmm that was one of my concerns:rolleyes:

The problem I have is working shifts and midweek days off, is that I would struggle for crew, so would need to be launched, thats even if I could get in southshore compound:rolleyes:

8. Howard

Howard Blenny

If its calm then easy to launch and retrieve on your tod Rob. It nearly always fishes better 1st light and evening especially on the bass. Sorry to go off topic but cannot see a message option like in the old days.
    This time of yr. about 2 yrs ago I went to the brigg in the dark very early with 4 rods and 2 boxes of squid on my own no one was catching anything but I just wanted to have ago and didn't expect much. To cut it short I plopped anchor in and filled up, never got more than 2 rods out and soon ran out of bait . Came back with about 10st of lovely roe filled fish and still am.
    Happy Days.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. robq

robq Rockling

Thanks Howard :)

I think I will probably end up sticking with my SIB for the flexibility and low cost fishing it gives me :)

Might upgrade to an F Rib though :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Zetland

Zetland Blenny

Plenty of cod about to shads when we got out in December, but we could only catch mini mops on bait in January.

11. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Plenty of cod about to shads when we got out in December

ditto but L/L bare

jan poor for all concerned