1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1,000,000 TONS OF DISCARD A YEAR!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by DiscoMick, Sep 16, 2009.

1. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

If you'v been watching the new's,you'l probabaly have seen the latest saga in commercial fishing what a joke 1,000,000 tons of fish wasted every year,now they'r scapping the whole idea what next?why dont they try increasing the size of the mesh,about 2 mtrs square :crazy: :butt:

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Try bag limits, quotas for charter boats, Marine conservation zones (as seen on tv last week) and a real big one doing the rounds at the moment is the lovely people at the Angling Trust (Keith Arthur) want a sea angling licence.

Its fecking ludicroius to even suggest sea angling impacts the overall picture when you understand just what is allowed to happen day in day out on open waters. But make no mistake we will get all the restrictions just to keep DEFRA, Nasty Nature (aka Natural England) and the local sea fisheries guys in a job and a pension.

3. rupert

rupert Blenny

I'm not suggesting these discards are morally right - they're not. They do see excessively wasteful, all that burnt fuel, wasted time and expense for the boat owner and crew for no financial result whatsoever. I'm sure the bye catches, albeit some are 'accidental', could be put to a more beneficial use in this day and age.

The way I see it, however, at least the wasted dead fish thrown back are going back into the seas and oceans' food chains, so that one day, it should result in an equivalent biomass of sealife, part of which eventually,we all benefit from, or am I missing the point??? :suspious:

4. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

I think the best idea would be to go to sea, catch your quota, land everything, put your feet up and have the rest of the year off. And then go pleasure fishing.
    Cheers Col.

5. brad

brad Blenny

I thought that is what they did in some other countries. The fishermen reach their quotas, rather than chuck the fish back they HAVE to land them. A percentage of the catch is counted against their quota of a diffferent type but all the extra fish are sold and the money goes to the fisheries or whatever for them to use at their discretion!!!
    This means that they can't throw them back or they get fined. The big problem is that the ocean is a big area and how do you watch it all?

6. kipper

kipper New Member

there is always a king arthur.

i do believe over dredging the sea bed is detremental, and small mesh sizes is unecessary. to come to some common sense compromise is probably the way forward. but as we are all aware any way to make money is priority over conservation.
    to charge a licence fee for sea fishing is a prime example.

7. derm

derm Blenny

Its all politics and all leads back to one thing Money, money, money. Makes my blood boil !

8. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

One of the reasons i took up fishing again after years in the doldrums i thought there might be a glimmer of hope for us all i fear for the future now,i think glen you might have to extend your ads page in the next couple of years hope for everyones sake i'm wrong,as for conservation zones (pants)i can just see it now boats circling just outside them it'l be like custers last stand or maybe fish are more inteligent than we think and they'l stay just inside were they know they'l be safe(yeah). :whatever: